Status of Dual-Core / Dual-Core with HT Realm??

Ratsneve

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Still trying to find a good CPU that will give me a good year or more of gaming for a reasonable price (not right on cutting edge) in a strong upgradable system for future gaming with Vista & DX10.

Intel's Dual-Core seems like a good answer BUT there are some unanswered questons:

1. Is waiting for Dual-Core with HT a mistake because current games won't take advantage of its 4 thread capability?

2. Where does AMD fit into all this? How far behind are they with their Dual-Core equivalent?

3. What is Dual-Core 2 and/or Dual 2 Core?

Thank you. Interested in all comments with thoughtful solutions.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Is waiting for Dual-Core with HT a mistake because current games won't take advantage of its 4 thread capability?

Intel won't be using HT on it's new line. With a shorter pipeline/reduced latency lowers the benefit. Also, it's bringing out a 4-core chip (Kentsfield) early next year.

Where does AMD fit into all this? How far behind are they with their Dual-Core equivalent?
AMD has a complete line of dual cores now. If you are referring to their answer to Intel's Core 2 Duos, then that will be with their K8L platform - expect mid-2007 for details.

What is Dual-Core 2 and/or Dual 2 Core?
AMD's upcoming 4x4 platform will allow you to use 2 dual core chips on the same motherboard. Intel's Kensfield is 2 Core 2 Duos on the same chip (therefore 4 processors on the same socket).

If your computer is good enough now, I recommend you wait until Vista is released. By then the processor prices will be stabilized, and DX10 cards will be out, or at least announced.

Ratsneve

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
If your computer is good enough now, I recommend you wait until Vista is released. By then the processor prices will be stabilized, and DX10 cards will be out, or at least announced.
Well, there's the rub because I don't currently have a PC but want to get one by the time Neverwinter Nights 2 releases in or around October 2006. So, for gaming exclusively, do I buy Intel or AMD? If Intel do I get Dual Core or wait and get Dual Core with HT regardless of where this fits in with NWN2's release? If AMD do I get what?

Just about everyone is telling me to get Intel's Dual-Core now which I gather they refer to as "Core 2 Duo"?

Yet I have one close friend who is waiting for Dual-Core with HT for his upgrade and thinks I should too. He has a working PC though and can wait with what he's got. I need something pretty soon because I have nothing.

On the other hand...I do not want to have to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, power supply, and GPU again in another six months just because some super game demands Dual Core with HT in order to really enjoy its graphic features and FR.

It will not be pleasant if I have to kick myself playing NWN2 in 800 x 600 because I don't have Dual-Core with HT!

On the other hand I would rather hope that a Core 2 Duo E6300 for instance will work just fine for a year or so before needing to upgrade when I also go over to Vista and DX10.

So what I can't gauge very well at all is what near future games coming out will really require to play them well and what upgrade groove to get into?

jonnyli

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Everyone is suggesting Core 2 Duo because they are faster..PERIOD. Now, we all know gaming is mostly dependent on the graphics card and ram, cpu helps alot, but you wont be needing to upgrade it for @ least 3-4 years. I would suggest you get a 7600GT, that will be able to play NWM on high no problem, and 1-1.5 years from now, get a dx10 graphics card. Dont worry so much about the CPU, core 2 duo E6600 and your all set. you can always overclcok it if you feel like itz slowing down ;)