Has anyone else noticed Morrowind's version of Sword in th..

I was looking for new mods and found out something interesting at the
web site link below. It seems that the creators of Morrowind decided
to add their own version of the Sword in the Stone to the game.

http://www.elricm.com/Fun_Stuff/Little%20Known.htm

I decided to check for myself and sure enough, there's an Ebony
Shortsword INSIDE the rocks above Odai Plateau! It makes me wonder
what else may be buried in the ground somewhere else. ^_^ I also
discovered for the first time that the Console command TCL makes a
GREAT No Spellcost Levitation spell for low level characters.

At any rate to find out where to look for the sword, look at the
pictures at the link above. The web site also shows where Morrowind's
creators added their own version of Giants to the unmodified game,
though I haven't gotten around to verifying that yet.

Has anyone else discovered anything else odd/weird or worth checking
out while playing Morrowind?

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
20 answers Last reply
More about noticed morrowind version sword

    I recall reading about a sword on the Odai Plataue
    when the game first started....but didn't find it when
    I went to look. If it is INSIDE a rock, no wonder!

    > Has anyone else discovered anything else odd/weird or worth checking
    > out while playing Morrowind?

    Well, there's the whole running gag with pillows... There's a woman in
    Balmora who seems to have an unnatural number of pillows in her house. (The
    first Fighter's Guild mission involves getting rid of some rats in her
    closet.) Anyhow, there's a shipwreck in the Sheogorad area (on the same
    island with the tower of Vas) which contains a rather large shipment of
    pillows, and there's an invoice stating that they were all intended to be
    delivered to this same lady in Balmora. You have to use the Console to get
    this to work, but if you click on her and type:

    addTopic "Pillow Shipment"

    And then talk to her and ask about it, she'll reward you with a special
    Extra-Comfy Pillow, which doesn't seem to do anything except add a comment
    whenever you rest: "Your sleep was very restful on your Extra-Comfy Pillow".
    I have a wacky theory that it makes Assassin ambushes less common, but it's
    entirely unproven. The story continues further, however, as you later
    discover in Mournhold, there's a guy who lost his job at the pillow making
    factory, and you help him get a job working for the smith at the trade hall.
    He keeps comparing his new trade to the profession of pillow-making. There
    must be some inside joke behind all this, I think...

    On 19 Jan 2005 13:43:24 -0800, "DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >I recall reading about a sword on the Odai Plataue
    >when the game first started....but didn't find it when
    >I went to look. If it is INSIDE a rock, no wonder!

    I agree, I remember reading in the clue book about something being on
    the Odai Platau and I've had at Least a dozen different past
    characters look EVERYWHERE (or at least I thought so) looking for
    whatever was supposed to be there with no luck. :(

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:17:49 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >> Has anyone else discovered anything else odd/weird or worth checking
    >> out while playing Morrowind?
    >
    >Well, there's the whole running gag with pillows... There's a woman in
    >Balmora who seems to have an unnatural number of pillows in her house. (The
    >first Fighter's Guild mission involves getting rid of some rats in her
    >closet.) Anyhow, there's a shipwreck in the Sheogorad area (on the same
    >island with the tower of Vas) which contains a rather large shipment of
    >pillows, and there's an invoice stating that they were all intended to be
    >delivered to this same lady in Balmora. You have to use the Console to get
    >this to work, but if you click on her and type:
    >
    >addTopic "Pillow Shipment"

    From what I can understand you can complete the pillow shipment quest
    without using the console, IF you Discover the Wreck and Deliver the
    Pillows BEFORE you are given the Fighter Guild Rat quest.

    My current character at Level 4 is trying to get strong enough to
    Complete the Pillow quest Before he joins the Fighters Guild. In a
    normal game a well equiped (for level 4) level 4 character would be
    strong enough to complete the quest IF he/she knew where to look for
    the wreck (and I do). Unfortunately for me I also installed Morrowind
    Additions which adds things like Great White sharks to the game, and
    there is NO Way a non-mod enhanced Level 10 character can survive an
    encounter (in the water) with a Great White shark so my level 4
    character will just have to wait to do the pillow quest! :(

    >And then talk to her and ask about it, she'll reward you with a special
    >Extra-Comfy Pillow, which doesn't seem to do anything except add a comment
    >whenever you rest: "Your sleep was very restful on your Extra-Comfy Pillow".
    >I have a wacky theory that it makes Assassin ambushes less common, but it's
    >entirely unproven. The story continues further, however, as you later
    >discover in Mournhold, there's a guy who lost his job at the pillow making
    >factory, and you help him get a job working for the smith at the trade hall.
    >He keeps comparing his new trade to the profession of pillow-making. There
    >must be some inside joke behind all this, I think...

    The answer to the ALL the pillow stuff is simple, one of Morrowinds
    creators has some kind of a Pillow Fetish. ^_^

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > My current character at Level 4 is trying to get strong enough to
    > Complete the Pillow quest Before he joins the Fighters Guild. In a
    > normal game a well equiped (for level 4) level 4 character would be
    > strong enough to complete the quest IF he/she knew where to look for
    > the wreck (and I do). Unfortunately for me I also installed Morrowind
    > Additions which adds things like Great White sharks to the game, and
    > there is NO Way a non-mod enhanced Level 10 character can survive an
    > encounter (in the water) with a Great White shark so my level 4
    > character will just have to wait to do the pillow quest! :(

    If you just want to test this, it should be pretty easy. Just do a "coc
    Vas" command in the console to get you right to the island. The ship is
    close enough to land that you barely get wet going to it. I think the
    invoice is in the captain's cabin, so you don't even have to go below deck
    into the hold. I actually may try this with a brand new lvl 1 character,
    just to see if it really makes a difference.

    It's kind of weird that you have to do it BEFORE the rat quest, as that is
    (for most people) the first fighter's guild quest, and going to the tower of
    Vas is a mission given on a much later fighter's guild quest, since the guy
    in Ald'ruhn won't give you quests until you've gained a few ranks in the
    guild. But I guess that might be intentional, given the easter-egg like
    quality of this mission. I really want to know if the Extra-Comfy Pillow
    really does anything, though. That's the biggest mystery...

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:20:29 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >If you just want to test this, it should be pretty easy. Just do a "coc
    >Vas" command in the console to get you right to the island. The ship is
    >close enough to land that you barely get wet going to it. I think the
    >invoice is in the captain's cabin, so you don't even have to go below deck
    >into the hold. I actually may try this with a brand new lvl 1 character,
    >just to see if it really makes a difference.

    That's a good idea, I've used COC so seldom that I Never even thought
    of using it to get to Vas. And if I remember correctly, the Pillow
    ship is wrecked on the hill just above Vas. I think I'll try your COC
    suggestion tonight to see IF at least one of my characters can
    complete the pillow quest...

    >It's kind of weird that you have to do it BEFORE the rat quest, as that is
    >(for most people) the first fighter's guild quest, and going to the tower of
    >Vas is a mission given on a much later fighter's guild quest, since the guy
    >in Ald'ruhn won't give you quests until you've gained a few ranks in the
    >guild. But I guess that might be intentional, given the easter-egg like
    >quality of this mission.

    Maybe the Pillow quest is a reward for those people that go their own
    way and don't join Every guild they can, like for example the Fighters
    guild... My current character has joined the Imperial Cult and has no
    intention of joining the local temple (this time) that worships 3
    false gods. ^_^

    Besides, the Imperial cult has the Best quests! Whenever I do the
    Oracle quest where my character ends up needing to give a guy a Divine
    Intervention scroll. After he gives my character a pair of valuable
    enchanted gloves, my character gives him ANOTHER scroll AND he gives
    my character ANOTHER pair of valuable enchanted gloves! <G> AND for
    EVERY scroll my character gives the guy, my character's reputation
    goes UP one point! ^_^ The same thing happens in the Oracle quest
    where the woman is trapped on a high ledge, so needless to say my
    characters take plenty of Divine Intervention scrolls when they do
    BOTH quests.

    >I really want to know if the Extra-Comfy Pillow
    >really does anything, though. That's the biggest mystery...

    I suspect that the Extra-Comfy pillow just gives a character a really
    restful sleep, which is ALOT better reward than some of my characters
    have received, like the 2 lousy healing potions you get for giving the
    lighthouse lady the dead Tax collectors (Highly Enchantable and Rare)
    Exquisite ring!

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > Besides, the Imperial cult has the Best quests! Whenever I do the
    > Oracle quest where my character ends up needing to give a guy a Divine
    > Intervention scroll. After he gives my character a pair of valuable
    > enchanted gloves, my character gives him ANOTHER scroll AND he gives
    > my character ANOTHER pair of valuable enchanted gloves! <G> AND for
    > EVERY scroll my character gives the guy, my character's reputation
    > goes UP one point! ^_^ The same thing happens in the Oracle quest
    > where the woman is trapped on a high ledge, so needless to say my
    > characters take plenty of Divine Intervention scrolls when they do
    > BOTH quests.

    Huh. How do you pull that off? When I did it, the people disappeared as
    soon as I gave them the first scroll, so I didn't have a chance to give him
    another. Then there's also that woman being held captive at Rotheran. She
    was all upset that they took her clothes and all, but then when I brought
    them back to her, she just let me keep them instead. She didn't even ask
    for them back. I wanted to track down where these people went afterwards,
    but I'm pretty sure they just no longer exist after you save them...

    > I suspect that the Extra-Comfy pillow just gives a character a really
    > restful sleep, which is ALOT better reward than some of my characters
    > have received, like the 2 lousy healing potions you get for giving the
    > lighthouse lady the dead Tax collectors (Highly Enchantable and Rare)
    > Exquisite ring!

    Really restful, meaning - what, exactly? Is your rest time shorter? Do you
    heal more? I don't get it. As for exquisite rings, I've got them up the
    wazoo, so it's not such a big deal. The real reward for this quest is the
    money you get from the old guy at the Excise house. Plus, there seems to be
    no consequence to keeping the 200 you find on the body, so you can get that
    AND the 500 reward, which is not a bad haul for a newbie char.

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:06:46 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >> Besides, the Imperial cult has the Best quests! Whenever I do the
    >> Oracle quest where my character ends up needing to give a guy a Divine
    >> Intervention scroll. After he gives my character a pair of valuable
    >> enchanted gloves, my character gives him ANOTHER scroll AND he gives
    >> my character ANOTHER pair of valuable enchanted gloves! <G> AND for
    >> EVERY scroll my character gives the guy, my character's reputation
    >> goes UP one point! ^_^ The same thing happens in the Oracle quest
    >> where the woman is trapped on a high ledge, so needless to say my
    >> characters take plenty of Divine Intervention scrolls when they do
    >> BOTH quests.
    >
    >Huh. How do you pull that off? When I did it, the people disappeared as
    >soon as I gave them the first scroll, so I didn't have a chance to give him
    >another.

    When you give them the Scroll they disappear, However the conversation
    screen is Still there! Simply select the right conversation dialog, I
    think it's "Divine Intervention Scroll" and they'll give your
    character Another set of clothing items in exchange for another Divine
    Intervention scroll. Simply repeat the dialog until your character
    runs out of Divine Intervention scrolls...

    Remember EACH scroll given equals another reputation point for your
    character, plus your character gets Another Bonus reputation point for
    mentioning the encounter to the Oracle.

    BTW, I used the COC console command to visit the pillow wreck and when
    my character Tried delivering the pillows, there was NO pillow
    shipment topic even though my character hadn't Yet joined the Fighters
    guild! :( So I Had To Use your Addtopic pillow shipment console
    command to complete the quest... :(

    >Then there's also that woman being held captive at Rotheran. She
    >was all upset that they took her clothes and all, but then when I brought
    >them back to her, she just let me keep them instead. She didn't even ask
    >for them back. I wanted to track down where these people went afterwards,
    >but I'm pretty sure they just no longer exist after you save them...

    I'm not sure who you're refering to, can you tell me a bit more about
    the encounter?

    >> I suspect that the Extra-Comfy pillow just gives a character a really
    >> restful sleep, which is ALOT better reward than some of my characters
    >> have received, like the 2 lousy healing potions you get for giving the
    >> lighthouse lady the dead Tax collectors (Highly Enchantable and Rare)
    >> Exquisite ring!
    >
    >Really restful, meaning - what, exactly? Is your rest time shorter? Do you
    >heal more? I don't get it.

    I think that the "Extra restful sleep" comment when resting with the
    extra-comfy pillow is an interesting enough reward. I doubt that the
    pillow does anything else... As for getting faster healing from the
    pillow, I can't tell because my character now wears a Constant Effect
    Restore Health item.

    >As for exquisite rings, I've got them up the
    >wazoo, so it's not such a big deal.

    In an un-modded game, exquisite rings are a Rare find for beginner
    characters and their Enchant value is worth FAR more than their gold
    value! When you give the lighthouse woman the tax collectors ring,
    she gives your character two standard restore health potions that have
    a practical worth that is FAR less tham Fargoth's healing ring, plus
    the potions gold value doesn't come close to the ring's value, AND her
    disposition doesn't even go up one point! :( Granted the good deed
    MIGHT raise your characters reputation a Tiny fraction of a point,
    however for a beginner character I don't think it's worth it!
    Instead, it's better to get the ring enchanted when they can afford it
    and use it for awhile, and give the ring to the lighthouse woman later
    in the game when your character no longer needs the ring...

    >The real reward for this quest is the
    >money you get from the old guy at the Excise house. Plus, there seems to be
    >no consequence to keeping the 200 you find on the body, so you can get that
    >AND the 500 reward, which is not a bad haul for a newbie char.

    I agree.

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > BTW, I used the COC console command to visit the pillow wreck and when
    > my character Tried delivering the pillows, there was NO pillow
    > shipment topic even though my character hadn't Yet joined the Fighters
    > guild! :( So I Had To Use your Addtopic pillow shipment console
    > command to complete the quest... :(

    Just FYI, you don't have to deliver the pillows, just the invoice. You did
    get the invoice, right? I'm really curious if there is a "legit" way to do
    this quest, or if adding the topic via console is the only way...

    > >Then there's also that woman being held captive at Rotheran. She
    > >was all upset that they took her clothes and all, but then when I brought
    > >them back to her, she just let me keep them instead. She didn't even ask
    > >for them back. I wanted to track down where these people went
    afterwards,
    > >but I'm pretty sure they just no longer exist after you save them...
    > >
    > I'm not sure who you're refering to, can you tell me a bit more about
    > the encounter?

    Well, it was listed as an Imperial Cult quest in my journal, even though at
    the time I had not yet joined the Cult, as I was just exploring on my own.
    Anyhow, when you go to Rotheran, there's a naked woman in a cell with a
    bunch of other slaves, and she's mad that one of the people running the
    arena stole her clothes and her ring of Divine Intervention. You need to
    kill one of the guys up on the top floor who's carrying them. (I killed him
    before I met the naked woman, but I hadn't searched his body yet.) Anyhow,
    I got her stuff and went back, and she just took the ring and vanished,
    leaving me with her robe. (Not really that great an item. But the sword
    you get from one of the other dudes there more than makes up for it. Also
    somebody there has the Rotheran Propylon Index.)

    > I think that the "Extra restful sleep" comment when resting with the
    > extra-comfy pillow is an interesting enough reward. I doubt that the
    > pillow does anything else... As for getting faster healing from the
    > pillow, I can't tell because my character now wears a Constant Effect
    > Restore Health item.

    Might be worth an experiment as well - let yourself get damaged to about
    half, and see how many hours it takes to heal with and without the pillow...
    (un-equip the CE Restore Health item, of course.)

    > In an un-modded game, exquisite rings are a Rare find for beginner
    > characters and their Enchant value is worth FAR more than their gold
    > value! When you give the lighthouse woman the tax collectors ring,
    > she gives your character two standard restore health potions that have
    > a practical worth that is FAR less tham Fargoth's healing ring, plus
    > the potions gold value doesn't come close to the ring's value, AND her
    > disposition doesn't even go up one point! :( Granted the good deed
    > MIGHT raise your characters reputation a Tiny fraction of a point,
    > however for a beginner character I don't think it's worth it!
    > Instead, it's better to get the ring enchanted when they can afford it
    > and use it for awhile, and give the ring to the lighthouse woman later
    > in the game when your character no longer needs the ring...

    Except for the fact that there are two other things you need to get a good
    enchantment. You need a good high level soul, and no newbie character is
    likely to be facing down a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper that early in
    the game. And you also need either a very high Enchant skill + high
    intelligence and luck, or a butt-load of cash to pay for it at vendors,
    neither of which is easily attainable for a brand new character. By the
    time my character gets rich and/or skilled enough to get a decent
    Enchantment, finding exquisite rings is hardly a problem anymore. Granted,
    those two potions are not very useful, but I think a new character is a bit
    more likely to be able to find a use for those than a ring that they lack
    the means to place a decent enchantment on...

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:25:53 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >Just FYI, you don't have to deliver the pillows, just the invoice. You did
    >get the invoice, right? I'm really curious if there is a "legit" way to do
    >this quest, or if adding the topic via console is the only way...

    I haven't tried this myself, but I seem to remember reading in one of
    the newsgroups, probably a.g.e.s., that you can go to Thelas directly
    to get the rat-killing quest. If you bring her the invoice after
    that, she will acknowledge it and give you the extra-comfy pillow. It
    might be worth trying.
    --
    Nyctolops

    wrote:

    >> >Then there's also that woman being held captive at Rotheran. She
    >> >was all upset that they took her clothes and all, but then when I brought
    >> >them back to her, she just let me keep them instead. She didn't even ask
    >> >for them back. I wanted to track down where these people went
    >afterwards,
    >> >but I'm pretty sure they just no longer exist after you save them...
    >> >
    >> I'm not sure who you're refering to, can you tell me a bit more about
    >> the encounter?
    >
    >Well, it was listed as an Imperial Cult quest in my journal, even though at
    >the time I had not yet joined the Cult, as I was just exploring on my own.
    >Anyhow, when you go to Rotheran, there's a naked woman in a cell with a
    >bunch of other slaves, and she's mad that one of the people running the
    >arena stole her clothes and her ring of Divine Intervention. You need to
    >kill one of the guys up on the top floor who's carrying them. (I killed him
    >before I met the naked woman, but I hadn't searched his body yet.) Anyhow,
    >I got her stuff and went back, and she just took the ring and vanished,
    >leaving me with her robe. (Not really that great an item. But the sword
    >you get from one of the other dudes there more than makes up for it. Also
    >somebody there has the Rotheran Propylon Index.)

    That's one of the Imperial Cult Oracle quests, that you can get after
    you've done the basic Cult quests and risen in rank. They're all pretty
    good, as they give you some hints but generally require you to research
    the actual location of the artifact they want recovered.

    wrote:

    >> BTW, I used the COC console command to visit the pillow wreck and when
    >> my character Tried delivering the pillows, there was NO pillow
    >> shipment topic even though my character hadn't Yet joined the Fighters
    >> guild! :( So I Had To Use your Addtopic pillow shipment console
    >> command to complete the quest... :(
    >
    >Just FYI, you don't have to deliver the pillows, just the invoice. You did
    >get the invoice, right? I'm really curious if there is a "legit" way to do
    >this quest, or if adding the topic via console is the only way...

    My character had the pillow invoice, the pillows and hadn't even
    joined the Fighters guild yet, however the deliver pillow shipment
    topic Never came up. :(

    >> >Then there's also that woman being held captive at Rotheran. She
    >> >was all upset that they took her clothes and all, but then when I brought
    >> >them back to her, she just let me keep them instead. She didn't even ask
    >> >for them back. I wanted to track down where these people went
    >afterwards,
    >> >but I'm pretty sure they just no longer exist after you save them...
    >> >
    >> I'm not sure who you're refering to, can you tell me a bit more about
    >> the encounter?
    >
    >Well, it was listed as an Imperial Cult quest in my journal, even though at
    >the time I had not yet joined the Cult, as I was just exploring on my own.
    >Anyhow, when you go to Rotheran, there's a naked woman in a cell with a
    >bunch of other slaves, and she's mad that one of the people running the
    >arena stole her clothes and her ring of Divine Intervention. You need to
    >kill one of the guys up on the top floor who's carrying them. (I killed him
    >before I met the naked woman, but I hadn't searched his body yet.) Anyhow,
    >I got her stuff and went back, and she just took the ring and vanished,
    >leaving me with her robe. (Not really that great an item. But the sword
    >you get from one of the other dudes there more than makes up for it. Also
    >somebody there has the Rotheran Propylon Index.)

    Oh! When you mentioned the woman but made no mention of her ring I
    didn't connect her with any of the Cult quests. Granted you did
    mention Rotheran, however when I read that I Somehow Thought you were
    refering to had something to do with house Redoran. :(

    >> I think that the "Extra restful sleep" comment when resting with the
    >> extra-comfy pillow is an interesting enough reward. I doubt that the
    >> pillow does anything else... As for getting faster healing from the
    >> pillow, I can't tell because my character now wears a Constant Effect
    >> Restore Health item.
    >
    >Might be worth an experiment as well - let yourself get damaged to about
    >half, and see how many hours it takes to heal with and without the pillow...
    >(un-equip the CE Restore Health item, of course.)

    I'll consider trying that even though I'm still not convinced that the
    pillow does anything special. Though for what it's worth, prior to
    getting the pillow my character had been attacked by the Dark
    Brotherhood 3 or 4 times. However my character HASN'T been attacked
    by the Dark Brotherhood since getting the pillow and he's rested in
    Balmora quite a few times since getting the pillow, though he hasn't
    YET reported the attacks to the guy in Ebonheart that stops the
    attacks...

    >Except for the fact that there are two other things you need to get a good
    >enchantment. You need a good high level soul, and no newbie character is
    >likely to be facing down a Golden Saint or Ascended Sleeper that early in
    >the game. And you also need either a very high Enchant skill + high
    >intelligence and luck, or a butt-load of cash to pay for it at vendors,
    >neither of which is easily attainable for a brand new character. By the
    >time my character gets rich and/or skilled enough to get a decent
    >Enchantment, finding exquisite rings is hardly a problem anymore. Granted,
    >those two potions are not very useful, but I think a new character is a bit
    >more likely to be able to find a use for those than a ring that they lack
    >the means to place a decent enchantment on...

    I once got a character's enchant skill up to 100 and still couldn't
    create an item with a Constant enchantment. I even tried boosting
    that character's Intelligence to over 1000 using potions, and he STILL
    couldn't create an item with a Constant enchantment! :( So I gave
    up...

    Now I seldom try enchanting even simple items, it's simpler to pay to
    get something enchanted and then sell filled soulgems to get my
    character's gold back. Because not all enchanters add their
    enchantment gold to their barter gold, for simplicity sake I always
    use the enchanter in the Vivec Mage guild. Granted, I've found from
    experience that you've got to First look at the enchanters barter
    screen before paying for enchantments, or the enchantment gold Is NOT
    added to their barter gold!

    As for beginner characters needing alot of gold to pay for getting
    items enchanted, Creeper pays full price for filled soulgems and even
    in an unmodded game, he has 5000 gold per day to pay for stuff. And
    since even beginner Mage guild characters with Mysticism as a primary
    skill can soultrap creatures like rats and mudcrabs into soulgems,
    they can get for free from Mage guild Equipment chests, they can
    quickly get enough gold to pay for the Vivec enchanter to enchant the
    Tax collector's ring with a Nice "ON USE" enchantment using a Higher
    level Filled soulgem bought from the Balmora Mage guild enchanter.

    If nothing else, a beginner character can sell the Tax collector's
    ring for quite a bit more than they can get for the 2 healing potions,
    then they can buy the ring back later when he/she has more gold...

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > I'll consider trying that even though I'm still not convinced that the
    > pillow does anything special. Though for what it's worth, prior to
    > getting the pillow my character had been attacked by the Dark
    > Brotherhood 3 or 4 times. However my character HASN'T been attacked
    > by the Dark Brotherhood since getting the pillow and he's rested in
    > Balmora quite a few times since getting the pillow, though he hasn't
    > YET reported the attacks to the guy in Ebonheart that stops the
    > attacks...

    I'd noticed that too, actually. I thought it might be related, though it
    could just be a coincidence. (I think there's a finite number of Assassins
    attacks, even if you don't see the guy in Ebonheart, but I thought it was
    like 9 or so...) It makes me curious, now, as to whether the Extra-Comfy
    Pillow even exists without Tribunal installed? Since the other
    pillow-reference (the apprentice in Mournhold) is in Tribunal, it's possible
    that this stuff was added into the game after the fact, and that could
    explain why it doesn't work properly. Unfortunately, I couldn't test that
    one without removing a BUNCH of mods and starting a new character. (I've
    more recently added the mod that prevents assassin attacks until after a
    certain point in the plot. Getting attacked by an Assassin while resting
    because you were at 5% of your health with a lvl 1 character was always a
    pain in the ass. Pretty much a required reload at that point, and with this
    game, that's an unnecessary waste of about 10 minutes to load...)

    > I once got a character's enchant skill up to 100 and still couldn't
    > create an item with a Constant enchantment. I even tried boosting
    > that character's Intelligence to over 1000 using potions, and he STILL
    > couldn't create an item with a Constant enchantment! :( So I gave
    > up...

    I think it depends not just on your skill/intelligence, but also on the soul
    you use. I've never made a CE item with anything less than a Golden Saint
    or Ascended Sleeper. I think Winged Twilights might work, but not sure. I
    know there are some monsters added by mods that have enough juice for a CE
    enchantment as well, but in vanilla Morrowind, there's not that many.

    > If nothing else, a beginner character can sell the Tax collector's
    > ring for quite a bit more than they can get for the 2 healing potions,
    > then they can buy the ring back later when he/she has more gold...

    Is the ring any better than any ordinary Exquisite ring? If not, I see no
    reason to bother with buying it back. Save your money and buy 2 healing
    potions instead, I guess...

    Anyhow, I just generally take care of all this stuff before I leave Seyda
    Neen, because there's almost never any reason to go back there later. (I
    think there's one Morag Tong writ there, but otherwise, it's a pretty
    useless town.)

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:23:31 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >I'd noticed that too, actually. I thought it might be related, though it
    >could just be a coincidence. (I think there's a finite number of Assassins
    >attacks, even if you don't see the guy in Ebonheart, but I thought it was
    >like 9 or so...) It makes me curious, now, as to whether the Extra-Comfy
    >Pillow even exists without Tribunal installed? Since the other
    >pillow-reference (the apprentice in Mournhold) is in Tribunal, it's possible
    >that this stuff was added into the game after the fact, and that could
    >explain why it doesn't work properly. Unfortunately, I couldn't test that
    >one without removing a BUNCH of mods and starting a new character. (I've
    >more recently added the mod that prevents assassin attacks until after a
    >certain point in the plot. Getting attacked by an Assassin while resting
    >because you were at 5% of your health with a lvl 1 character was always a
    >pain in the ass. Pretty much a required reload at that point, and with this
    >game, that's an unnecessary waste of about 10 minutes to load...)

    The extra-comfy pillow quest does exist in vanilla Morrowind. I know
    because the quest is listed in the copy of The Morrowind Prophesies
    that I bought before Tribunal was released.

    >I think it depends not just on your skill/intelligence, but also on the soul
    >you use. I've never made a CE item with anything less than a Golden Saint
    >or Ascended Sleeper. I think Winged Twilights might work, but not sure. I
    >know there are some monsters added by mods that have enough juice for a CE
    >enchantment as well, but in vanilla Morrowind, there's not that many.

    You cannot make a CE item with a Winged Twilight soul. I know because
    I have tried it. What is even more annoying is that those Dagoths who
    look like Ascended Sleepers cannot be used for CE enchanting, either.
    However, both of these souls are excellent for Cast on Strike weapons
    spells, as they are quite powerful.
    --
    Nyctolops

    wrote:

    >> I'll consider trying that even though I'm still not convinced that the
    >> pillow does anything special. Though for what it's worth, prior to
    >> getting the pillow my character had been attacked by the Dark
    >> Brotherhood 3 or 4 times. However my character HASN'T been attacked
    >> by the Dark Brotherhood since getting the pillow and he's rested in
    >> Balmora quite a few times since getting the pillow, though he hasn't
    >> YET reported the attacks to the guy in Ebonheart that stops the
    >> attacks...

    Just do what I did. Rest over and over again and kill the assassins
    each time you're attacked. They eventually stop coming altogether. I
    haven't been attacked since.

    Mydnight

    --------------------
    thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

    If you want to enchant items yourself you need high intelligence AND high
    luck. These are more important than your enchant ability (in my experience).

    Back when I used to do the "make fortify intelligence potion, make fortify
    luck potion, drink, rinse, repeat" exploit to get intelligence and luck in
    the 1000s I found that I could enchant CE items with almost 100% success,
    even with an enchant skill of about 30. You still need a 400+ point soul -
    Golden Saint or Ascended sleeper, but Vivec or Almalexia work a treat
    (although a bit of a waste on a CE item).

    Now that I no longer use the alchemy exploit it means I have to pay to get
    items made, but there is so much money in the game it is not a problem.

    JC

    wrote:

    >> I'll consider trying that even though I'm still not convinced that the
    >> pillow does anything special. Though for what it's worth, prior to
    >> getting the pillow my character had been attacked by the Dark
    >> Brotherhood 3 or 4 times. However my character HASN'T been attacked
    >> by the Dark Brotherhood since getting the pillow and he's rested in
    >> Balmora quite a few times since getting the pillow, though he hasn't
    >> YET reported the attacks to the guy in Ebonheart that stops the
    >> attacks...
    >
    >I'd noticed that too, actually. I thought it might be related, though it
    >could just be a coincidence. (I think there's a finite number of Assassins
    >attacks, even if you don't see the guy in Ebonheart, but I thought it was
    >like 9 or so...) It makes me curious, now, as to whether the Extra-Comfy
    >Pillow even exists without Tribunal installed? Since the other
    >pillow-reference (the apprentice in Mournhold) is in Tribunal, it's possible
    >that this stuff was added into the game after the fact, and that could
    >explain why it doesn't work properly. Unfortunately, I couldn't test that
    >one without removing a BUNCH of mods and starting a new character. (I've
    >more recently added the mod that prevents assassin attacks until after a
    >certain point in the plot. Getting attacked by an Assassin while resting
    >because you were at 5% of your health with a lvl 1 character was always a
    >pain in the ass. Pretty much a required reload at that point, and with this
    >game, that's an unnecessary waste of about 10 minutes to load...)

    Right after I sent my post above, I want back to playing Morrowind
    with the same character and as luck would have it, my character was
    attacked by an Assassin the next time he rested. <L> So it looks like
    it was random luck that kept my character from being attacked earlier,
    and the pillow had no real effect on preventing attacks by Assassins
    after all...

    I do remember reading somewhere (I think in one of the Elder Scrolls
    Forums) that the attacks Stop after your character has been attacked
    15 times, which Might be true. I do know that I've had several
    characters in the past that were attacked more than 10 times each (by
    counting the sets of armor sold to Creeper) before they finely took
    the fight to Mournhold.

    >> I once got a character's enchant skill up to 100 and still couldn't
    >> create an item with a Constant enchantment. I even tried boosting
    >> that character's Intelligence to over 1000 using potions, and he STILL
    >> couldn't create an item with a Constant enchantment! :( So I gave
    >> up...
    >
    >I think it depends not just on your skill/intelligence, but also on the soul
    >you use. I've never made a CE item with anything less than a Golden Saint
    >or Ascended Sleeper. I think Winged Twilights might work, but not sure. I
    >know there are some monsters added by mods that have enough juice for a CE
    >enchantment as well, but in vanilla Morrowind, there's not that many.

    To create Constant Effect magic items, you need a Grand Soulgem with a
    value of 80,000 gold (Golden Saints or Ascended Sleepers) or greater
    (a tough Mod created character), or a God's soul (which would be a
    waste) stored in Azura's Soulgem. That means that Winged Twilights
    souls (worth around 60,000) can not be used to create constant effect
    magic items...

    >> If nothing else, a beginner character can sell the Tax collector's
    >> ring for quite a bit more than they can get for the 2 healing potions,
    >> then they can buy the ring back later when he/she has more gold...
    >
    >Is the ring any better than any ordinary Exquisite ring? If not, I see no
    >reason to bother with buying it back. Save your money and buy 2 healing
    >potions instead, I guess...

    I would consider buying the ring back later when gold is plentiful, to
    return it to the lighthouse lady just so that I could complete the
    quest in my character's journal.

    >Anyhow, I just generally take care of all this stuff before I leave Seyda
    >Neen, because there's almost never any reason to go back there later. (I
    >think there's one Morag Tong writ there, but otherwise, it's a pretty
    >useless town.)

    Normally that's true, however I'm using several mods that give my
    character a good reason to revisit Seyda Neen on a regular basis...

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:42:11 GMT, FTA <FTA@fake.email> wrote:

    >I once got a character's enchant skill up to 100 and still couldn't
    >create an item with a Constant enchantment. I even tried boosting
    >that character's Intelligence to over 1000 using potions, and he STILL
    >couldn't create an item with a Constant enchantment! :( So I gave
    >up...

    In addition to Fortify Intelligence, Fortify Luck helps a lot too! I
    made myself potions to get my luck up to 500 or so and had no
    difficulty at all making Constant Enchantment items even with an
    Enchant skill in the 50s.

    >As for beginner characters needing alot of gold to pay for getting
    >items enchanted, Creeper pays full price for filled soulgems and even
    >in an unmodded game, he has 5000 gold per day to pay for stuff. And
    >since even beginner Mage guild characters with Mysticism as a primary
    >skill can soultrap creatures like rats and mudcrabs into soulgems,

    I first discovered soul-trapping via that dagger you get (in the
    Aldruhn mage guild I think?) but unfortunately in my present game
    DIDN'T get it despite rising to Guildmaster....

    >they can get for free from Mage guild Equipment chests, they can
    >quickly get enough gold to pay for the Vivec enchanter to enchant the
    >Tax collector's ring with a Nice "ON USE" enchantment using a Higher
    >level Filled soulgem bought from the Balmora Mage guild enchanter.

    I have a self-imposed limitation that I don't use the guild chests -
    it's too easy to get too rich too fast. At level 1 I usually do as
    many Seyda Neen quests as I can and then head for Caldera (guess
    where) and on the nail Pemenic for the Boots of Blinding Speed.

    If I'm rich enough at this point to buy the scrolls I want I try to
    get myself to Gnisis to join the Legion on the way to our good friend
    in the far north who wants me to recover her ring from the pond...

    Depending on my mood I will or will not have stopped at the Caldera
    Mage Guild to initiate the Propylon quest (I always play with the
    OFFICIAL mods installed and may or may not use others). I seldom
    actually use the Master Index once I have it but it's an interesting
    early game quest. I tend to be extra careful with the Wise Woman of
    the Urshilaku since she's an important character for later...

    >If nothing else, a beginner character can sell the Tax collector's
    >ring for quite a bit more than they can get for the 2 healing potions,
    >then they can buy the ring back later when he/she has more gold...

    Interesting - will have to try that.

    wrote:

    >Anyhow, I just generally take care of all this stuff before I leave Seyda
    >Neen, because there's almost never any reason to go back there later. (I
    >think there's one Morag Tong writ there, but otherwise, it's a pretty
    >useless town.)

    I was wracking my brains about the Firemoth mod and how you get into
    it when I went back to Seyda Neen and talked to the first people you
    talk to in the game (actually I went back hoping the raid the Evidence
    Chest without killing anyone but no matter) and nearly fell off my
    chair...

    So many modders seem to use Balmora as a starting place but Seyda Neen
    seems under-utilized for this purpose. Geographically it's a
    reasonable place to start a quest.

    I'll never forget the first time I decided to take the Silt Strider to
    Suran or Vivec at level 1 instead of going to Balmora as you're
    supposed to go to...

    > I first discovered soul-trapping via that dagger you get (in the
    > Aldruhn mage guild I think?) but unfortunately in my present game
    > DIDN'T get it despite rising to Guildmaster....

    I think you get it from the Balmora guild, from that person in the doorway
    whose name I forget. His quests are optional, and Ajira downstairs even
    tells you not to do them, but most of them can be completed in multiple
    ways, usually by lying to him. (You never seem to get caught lying about
    quests in this game...)

    > I have a self-imposed limitation that I don't use the guild chests -
    > it's too easy to get too rich too fast.

    I only use them to get armorer's hammers. I never pay to have my armor
    repaired. Doing it yourself is a great way to increase your strength, as
    well as become more self-sufficient later in the game. The only thing I
    ever depend on NPC merchants for is Enchanting. (I consider the Fortify
    Intelligence/Luck potions trick to be just plain cheating.)

    > If I'm rich enough at this point to buy the scrolls I want I try to
    > get myself to Gnisis to join the Legion on the way to our good friend
    > in the far north who wants me to recover her ring from the pond...

    Don't buy scrolls either. I prefer to cast the spells myself to improve my
    skills... (Agreed that finding that ring is one of the first things I do
    with a new character as well, though it's quite difficult for a newbie.)

    > Depending on my mood I will or will not have stopped at the Caldera
    > Mage Guild to initiate the Propylon quest (I always play with the
    > OFFICIAL mods installed and may or may not use others). I seldom
    > actually use the Master Index once I have it but it's an interesting
    > early game quest. I tend to be extra careful with the Wise Woman of
    > the Urshilaku since she's an important character for later...

    She will actually sell the index to you, I never realized that. The one in
    Maar Gan can be bought as well, apparently. If you're no good at theft or
    can't get the Amulet hinted at above, these can all be done legitimately...

Video Games Product