DNS or WInS issue.

I have a computer on the network that when i ping its IP i get different
name returned back. I check DNS and Wins and can not find this weird name
that its returning. Any suggestion.

Ex. I ping -a 192.168.10.1

I get Pinging weird1.domain.local [192.168.10.1] with 32 bytes of data:

the computer name of the machine is computer3.
2 answers Last reply
More about wins issue

    In news:OHyDoW2YEHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Dan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I have a computer on the network that when i ping its IP
    > i get different name returned back. I check DNS and Wins
    > and can not find this weird name that its returning. Any
    > suggestion.
    >
    > Ex. I ping -a 192.168.10.1
    >
    > I get Pinging weird1.domain.local [192.168.10.1] with 32
    > bytes of data:
    >
    > the computer name of the machine is computer3.

    It is getting weird1.domain.local from the reverse lookup zone, either
    modify the existing PTR record or if two PTRs exist with two names delete
    the PTR with the incorrect name.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    In news:OHyDoW2YEHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Dan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > I have a computer on the network that when i ping its IP i get
    > different name returned back. I check DNS and Wins and can not find
    > this weird name that its returning. Any suggestion.
    >
    > Ex. I ping -a 192.168.10.1
    >
    > I get Pinging weird1.domain.local [192.168.10.1] with 32 bytes of
    > data:
    >
    > the computer name of the machine is computer3.

    Does this happen from one machine or all machines? If only from one, check
    your hosts or lmhosts files.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace