multiple DNS servers in the same network?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 6, 2004 1:01:01 PM

Win 2K & 2003 servers

I would like to setup additional DNS servers in the same netowrk. Is this
possible? recommendable? If so, where should I start?
Thanks
Bill
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 2:22:14 PM

Yes.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198437&Product=win2000

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Bill Nguyen" <billn_nospam_please@jaco.com> wrote in message
> Win 2K & 2003 servers
>
> I would like to setup additional DNS servers in the same netowrk. Is this
> possible? recommendable? If so, where should I start?
> Thanks
> Bill

July 7, 2004 12:04:39 AM

> I would like to setup additional DNS servers in the same
> netowrk. Is this possible? recommendable? If so, where
> should I start?

Yes, it's possible and recommendable too, first of all setup
the other DNS servers so that they'll work "barebone", next
on each new DNS create the same zones you have on your
primary (current) DNS, such zones will be created as slave
(secondary) zones, at that point your secondary servers will
automatically fetch a copy of such zones and will answer for
them; keep in mind that to change the DNS record you'll then
only need to change the _primary_ DNS since all changes
will be automatically propagated to the other DNS servers
such a config will give you an additional "fallback" mechanism
so that, if for any reason the primary DNS will fail you'll still have
the secondary ones serving data to the clients ... and btw don't
forget to configure the clients to use the other DNS servers too :-)
July 7, 2004 12:04:40 AM

Danny & ObiWan;
I fact, I would like to try both approaches.
Since our network has both Win2K & 2003 servers, I would like to try the AD
integrated DNS first. I'm also using a RAS server that allows VPN
connection. In the RAS setup, DNS IP address is pointing to the primary
(and only) DNS server.
Now with AD integrated DNS, which ip adddresses should I enter for the RAS?
Thanks
Bill

"ObiWan" <anzen.NO@SPAM.gmx.net> wrote in message
news:o dml$O4YEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > I would like to setup additional DNS servers in the same
> > netowrk. Is this possible? recommendable? If so, where
> > should I start?
>
> Yes, it's possible and recommendable too, first of all setup
> the other DNS servers so that they'll work "barebone", next
> on each new DNS create the same zones you have on your
> primary (current) DNS, such zones will be created as slave
> (secondary) zones, at that point your secondary servers will
> automatically fetch a copy of such zones and will answer for
> them; keep in mind that to change the DNS record you'll then
> only need to change the _primary_ DNS since all changes
> will be automatically propagated to the other DNS servers
> such a config will give you an additional "fallback" mechanism
> so that, if for any reason the primary DNS will fail you'll still have
> the secondary ones serving data to the clients ... and btw don't
> forget to configure the clients to use the other DNS servers too :-)

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 12:40:00 AM

In news:%23JipxZ4YEHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Bill Nguyen <billn_nospam_please@jaco.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Danny & ObiWan;
> I fact, I would like to try both approaches.
> Since our network has both Win2K & 2003 servers, I would like to try
> the AD integrated DNS first. I'm also using a RAS server that allows
> VPN connection. In the RAS setup, DNS IP address is pointing to the
> primary (and only) DNS server.
> Now with AD integrated DNS, which ip adddresses should I enter for
> the RAS? Thanks
> Bill

Just to add, if all your DNS servers are AD DCs, you can make the zone AD
Integrated. More advantageous to do that. For the RAS server, assuming you
mean what to give your clients when they connect, set any of the DNS
server(s) as their DNS address, as long as the servers all have the same
zone info on them.

An AD Integrated Zone 'acts' like a Primary Zone. The major difference is
that AD Integrated zones store their zone in the physical AD database and
not in a text file. If you install DNS on another DC, and then create that
same zone that's on the other DC/DNS, and then make the zone AD Integrated,
the zone data appears immediately since it pulls it from the AD database.
The advantage is no zone transfers need to be configured. Also all the
machines 'act' as the master or Primary DNS server so you can make changes
on any of them. If you like, you can create a secondary zone on another DNS
that is not a DC. But you can';t make another Primary zone since these guys
are the 'Primary' zones.

As Obi said, make sure you configure your clients with more than one DNS so
there's failover.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous

Thanks for the tip, Ace.
Here's the situation:
Now I have 2 DNS on 2 DC's , the RAS server is one of them. The RAS is
configured to use the network's only DHCP server to generate ip addresses
for VPN clients. In the DHCP server, both DNS's addresses are used, assuming
that if 1 is down, the other would continue to provide DNS service. I may
setup another DNS on another DC to see how it work.

Can I also have multiple DHCP servers, just in case?
Thanks
Bill

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:uvVlhs7YEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23JipxZ4YEHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> Bill Nguyen <billn_nospam_please@jaco.com> asked for help and I offered my
> suggestions below:
> > Danny & ObiWan;
> > I fact, I would like to try both approaches.
> > Since our network has both Win2K & 2003 servers, I would like to try
> > the AD integrated DNS first. I'm also using a RAS server that allows
> > VPN connection. In the RAS setup, DNS IP address is pointing to the
> > primary (and only) DNS server.
> > Now with AD integrated DNS, which ip adddresses should I enter for
> > the RAS? Thanks
> > Bill
>

> Just to add, if all your DNS servers are AD DCs, you can make the zone AD
> Integrated. More advantageous to do that. For the RAS server, assuming you
> mean what to give your clients when they connect, set any of the DNS
> server(s) as their DNS address, as long as the servers all have the same
> zone info on them.
>
> An AD Integrated Zone 'acts' like a Primary Zone. The major difference is
> that AD Integrated zones store their zone in the physical AD database and
> not in a text file. If you install DNS on another DC, and then create that
> same zone that's on the other DC/DNS, and then make the zone AD
Integrated,
> the zone data appears immediately since it pulls it from the AD database.
> The advantage is no zone transfers need to be configured. Also all the
> machines 'act' as the master or Primary DNS server so you can make changes
> on any of them. If you like, you can create a secondary zone on another
DNS
> that is not a DC. But you can';t make another Primary zone since these
guys
> are the 'Primary' zones.
>
> As Obi said, make sure you configure your clients with more than one DNS
so
> there's failover.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
> Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
>
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:05:05 PM

In news:eOQ5tHEZEHA.3892@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Bill Nguyen <billn_nospam_please@jaco.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Thanks for the tip, Ace.
> Here's the situation:
> Now I have 2 DNS on 2 DC's , the RAS server is one of them. The RAS is
> configured to use the network's only DHCP server to generate ip
> addresses for VPN clients. In the DHCP server, both DNS's addresses
> are used, assuming that if 1 is down, the other would continue to
> provide DNS service. I may setup another DNS on another DC to see how
> it work.
>
> Can I also have multiple DHCP servers, just in case?
> Thanks
> Bill

Multiple DHCP servers require for you to split th scope among them. Usually
an 80/20 will do, but for most installations that I know (major ones
included) no one really bothers with this.

Word of advise, don't run DNS on a RAS server. Problematic and may require
registry alterations to circumvent certain issues.

If you install antoher DNS elsewhere and its not on a DC, you can create a
secodnary of your current zone and specify one of your DC/DNS to be the
Master.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
July 7, 2004 11:01:09 PM

> Can I also have multiple DHCP servers, just in case?

Yes, but you'll need to split the IP ranges to avoid
overlapping; just to clear up a little, let's say you
have a subnet like 192.168.100.x/255.255.255.0
and that you have a single DHCP server and a
single scope serving the whole IP range (well
excluding reservations and so on); now, to use
two DHCP servers you'll need to split the scope
in two so that DHCP_A will serve (e.g.) addresses
from 192.168.100.1 to 126 and DHCP_B will serve
the other addresses; another solution may be
using a different netmask/network class so that
you may have (e.g.) a DHCP on 10.1.1.x and
another one on 10.1.2.x both with a 255.255.0.0
netmask (or 255.255.255.240 or whatever else
will fit for you) the choice is simple, pick the
solution which will allow each DHCP server
to have enough addresses to serve _ALL_
the possible clients (since such a thing may
happen if one of the servers will be down)

Regards
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 12:02:01 PM

Thanks ObiWan & Ace.

> > Can I also have multiple DHCP servers, just in case?
>
> Yes, but you'll need to split the IP ranges to avoid
> overlapping; just to clear up a little, let's say you
> have a subnet like 192.168.100.x/255.255.255.0
> and that you have a single DHCP server and a
> single scope serving the whole IP range (well
> excluding reservations and so on); now, to use
> two DHCP servers you'll need to split the scope
> in two so that DHCP_A will serve (e.g.) addresses
> from 192.168.100.1 to 126 and DHCP_B will serve
> the other addresses; another solution may be
> using a different netmask/network class so that
> you may have (e.g.) a DHCP on 10.1.1.x and
> another one on 10.1.2.x both with a 255.255.0.0
> netmask (or 255.255.255.240 or whatever else
> will fit for you) the choice is simple, pick the
> solution which will allow each DHCP server
> to have enough addresses to serve _ALL_
> the possible clients (since such a thing may
> happen if one of the servers will be down)
>
> Regards

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 7:52:03 PM

In news:uUULpxPZEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,