multiple DNS servers in the same network?

Win 2K & 2003 servers

I would like to setup additional DNS servers in the same netowrk. Is this
possible? recommendable? If so, where should I start?
Thanks
Bill
10 answers Last reply
More about multiple servers network

    Yes.

    See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198437&Product=win2000

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Bill Nguyen" <billn_nospam_please@jaco.com> wrote in message
    > Win 2K & 2003 servers
    >
    > I would like to setup additional DNS servers in the same netowrk. Is this
    > possible? recommendable? If so, where should I start?
    > Thanks
    > Bill

    > I would like to setup additional DNS servers in the same
    > netowrk. Is this possible? recommendable? If so, where
    > should I start?

    Yes, it's possible and recommendable too, first of all setup
    the other DNS servers so that they'll work "barebone", next
    on each new DNS create the same zones you have on your
    primary (current) DNS, such zones will be created as slave
    (secondary) zones, at that point your secondary servers will
    automatically fetch a copy of such zones and will answer for
    them; keep in mind that to change the DNS record you'll then
    only need to change the _primary_ DNS since all changes
    will be automatically propagated to the other DNS servers
    such a config will give you an additional "fallback" mechanism
    so that, if for any reason the primary DNS will fail you'll still have
    the secondary ones serving data to the clients ... and btw don't
    forget to configure the clients to use the other DNS servers too :-)

    Danny & ObiWan;
    I fact, I would like to try both approaches.
    Since our network has both Win2K & 2003 servers, I would like to try the AD
    integrated DNS first. I'm also using a RAS server that allows VPN
    connection. In the RAS setup, DNS IP address is pointing to the primary
    (and only) DNS server.
    Now with AD integrated DNS, which ip adddresses should I enter for the RAS?
    Thanks
    Bill

    "ObiWan" <anzen.NO@SPAM.gmx.net> wrote in message
    > > I would like to setup additional DNS servers in the same
    > > netowrk. Is this possible? recommendable? If so, where
    > > should I start?
    >
    > Yes, it's possible and recommendable too, first of all setup
    > the other DNS servers so that they'll work "barebone", next
    > on each new DNS create the same zones you have on your
    > primary (current) DNS, such zones will be created as slave
    > (secondary) zones, at that point your secondary servers will
    > automatically fetch a copy of such zones and will answer for
    > them; keep in mind that to change the DNS record you'll then
    > only need to change the _primary_ DNS since all changes
    > will be automatically propagated to the other DNS servers
    > such a config will give you an additional "fallback" mechanism
    > so that, if for any reason the primary DNS will fail you'll still have
    > the secondary ones serving data to the clients ... and btw don't
    > forget to configure the clients to use the other DNS servers too :-)

    In news:%23JipxZ4YEHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Bill Nguyen <billn_nospam_please@jaco.com> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Danny & ObiWan;
    > I fact, I would like to try both approaches.
    > Since our network has both Win2K & 2003 servers, I would like to try
    > the AD integrated DNS first. I'm also using a RAS server that allows
    > VPN connection. In the RAS setup, DNS IP address is pointing to the
    > primary (and only) DNS server.
    > Now with AD integrated DNS, which ip adddresses should I enter for
    > the RAS? Thanks
    > Bill

    Just to add, if all your DNS servers are AD DCs, you can make the zone AD
    Integrated. More advantageous to do that. For the RAS server, assuming you
    mean what to give your clients when they connect, set any of the DNS
    server(s) as their DNS address, as long as the servers all have the same
    zone info on them.

    An AD Integrated Zone 'acts' like a Primary Zone. The major difference is
    that AD Integrated zones store their zone in the physical AD database and
    not in a text file. If you install DNS on another DC, and then create that
    same zone that's on the other DC/DNS, and then make the zone AD Integrated,
    the zone data appears immediately since it pulls it from the AD database.
    The advantage is no zone transfers need to be configured. Also all the
    machines 'act' as the master or Primary DNS server so you can make changes
    on any of them. If you like, you can create a secondary zone on another DNS
    that is not a DC. But you can';t make another Primary zone since these guys
    are the 'Primary' zones.

    As Obi said, make sure you configure your clients with more than one DNS so
    there's failover.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    Thanks for the tip, Ace.
    Here's the situation:
    Now I have 2 DNS on 2 DC's , the RAS server is one of them. The RAS is
    configured to use the network's only DHCP server to generate ip addresses
    for VPN clients. In the DHCP server, both DNS's addresses are used, assuming
    that if 1 is down, the other would continue to provide DNS service. I may
    setup another DNS on another DC to see how it work.

    Can I also have multiple DHCP servers, just in case?
    Thanks
    Bill

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:uvVlhs7YEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > In news:%23JipxZ4YEHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    > Bill Nguyen <billn_nospam_please@jaco.com> asked for help and I offered my
    > suggestions below:
    > > Danny & ObiWan;
    > > I fact, I would like to try both approaches.
    > > Since our network has both Win2K & 2003 servers, I would like to try
    > > the AD integrated DNS first. I'm also using a RAS server that allows
    > > VPN connection. In the RAS setup, DNS IP address is pointing to the
    > > primary (and only) DNS server.
    > > Now with AD integrated DNS, which ip adddresses should I enter for
    > > the RAS? Thanks
    > > Bill
    >

    > Just to add, if all your DNS servers are AD DCs, you can make the zone AD
    > Integrated. More advantageous to do that. For the RAS server, assuming you
    > mean what to give your clients when they connect, set any of the DNS
    > server(s) as their DNS address, as long as the servers all have the same
    > zone info on them.
    >
    > An AD Integrated Zone 'acts' like a Primary Zone. The major difference is
    > that AD Integrated zones store their zone in the physical AD database and
    > not in a text file. If you install DNS on another DC, and then create that
    > same zone that's on the other DC/DNS, and then make the zone AD
    Integrated,
    > the zone data appears immediately since it pulls it from the AD database.
    > The advantage is no zone transfers need to be configured. Also all the
    > machines 'act' as the master or Primary DNS server so you can make changes
    > on any of them. If you like, you can create a secondary zone on another
    DNS
    > that is not a DC. But you can';t make another Primary zone since these
    guys
    > are the 'Primary' zones.
    >
    > As Obi said, make sure you configure your clients with more than one DNS
    so
    > there's failover.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.
    >
    > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    > --
    > =================================

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:eOQ5tHEZEHA.3892@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Bill Nguyen <billn_nospam_please@jaco.com> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Thanks for the tip, Ace.
    > Here's the situation:
    > Now I have 2 DNS on 2 DC's , the RAS server is one of them. The RAS is
    > configured to use the network's only DHCP server to generate ip
    > addresses for VPN clients. In the DHCP server, both DNS's addresses
    > are used, assuming that if 1 is down, the other would continue to
    > provide DNS service. I may setup another DNS on another DC to see how
    > it work.
    >
    > Can I also have multiple DHCP servers, just in case?
    > Thanks
    > Bill

    Multiple DHCP servers require for you to split th scope among them. Usually
    an 80/20 will do, but for most installations that I know (major ones
    included) no one really bothers with this.

    Word of advise, don't run DNS on a RAS server. Problematic and may require
    registry alterations to circumvent certain issues.

    If you install antoher DNS elsewhere and its not on a DC, you can create a
    secodnary of your current zone and specify one of your DC/DNS to be the
    Master.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Can I also have multiple DHCP servers, just in case?

    Yes, but you'll need to split the IP ranges to avoid
    overlapping; just to clear up a little, let's say you
    have a subnet like 192.168.100.x/255.255.255.0
    and that you have a single DHCP server and a
    single scope serving the whole IP range (well
    excluding reservations and so on); now, to use
    two DHCP servers you'll need to split the scope
    in two so that DHCP_A will serve (e.g.) addresses
    from 192.168.100.1 to 126 and DHCP_B will serve
    the other addresses; another solution may be
    using a different netmask/network class so that
    you may have (e.g.) a DHCP on 10.1.1.x and
    another one on 10.1.2.x both with a 255.255.0.0
    netmask (or 255.255.255.240 or whatever else
    will fit for you) the choice is simple, pick the
    solution which will allow each DHCP server
    to have enough addresses to serve _ALL_
    the possible clients (since such a thing may
    happen if one of the servers will be down)

    Regards
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Thanks ObiWan & Ace.

    > > Can I also have multiple DHCP servers, just in case?
    >
    > Yes, but you'll need to split the IP ranges to avoid
    > overlapping; just to clear up a little, let's say you
    > have a subnet like 192.168.100.x/255.255.255.0
    > and that you have a single DHCP server and a
    > single scope serving the whole IP range (well
    > excluding reservations and so on); now, to use
    > two DHCP servers you'll need to split the scope
    > in two so that DHCP_A will serve (e.g.) addresses
    > from 192.168.100.1 to 126 and DHCP_B will serve
    > the other addresses; another solution may be
    > using a different netmask/network class so that
    > you may have (e.g.) a DHCP on 10.1.1.x and
    > another one on 10.1.2.x both with a 255.255.0.0
    > netmask (or 255.255.255.240 or whatever else
    > will fit for you) the choice is simple, pick the
    > solution which will allow each DHCP server
    > to have enough addresses to serve _ALL_
    > the possible clients (since such a thing may
    > happen if one of the servers will be down)
    >
    > Regards

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:uUULpxPZEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Bill Nguyen <billn_nospam_please@jaco.com> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Thanks ObiWan & Ace.
    >
    > Bill

    You're welcome!

    Ace
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > > Thanks ObiWan & Ace.
    > >
    > > Bill
    >
    > You're welcome!
    >
    > Ace