  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 1:00:34 PM

We host our own website.

I have an internal DNS record for www.domain1.com resolved
to an internal ip address 10.0.1.10. Randomly when an
internal client accesses www.domain1.com they get a 500 -
DNS error in IE.

When I ping www.domain1.com from their PC, it is looking
for the external ip address, 66.161.... Most of the time
if I do an ipconfig /flushdns the next ping will resolve
to 10.0.1.10. Sometimes this does not work and the PC has
to be rebooted in order to get the resolution back to an
internal address.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

More about : dns resolve www

July 7, 2004 12:00:58 AM

> I have an internal DNS record for www.domain1.com resolved
> to an internal ip address 10.0.1.10. Randomly when an
> internal client accesses www.domain1.com they get a 500 -
> DNS error in IE.
>
> When I ping www.domain1.com from their PC, it is looking
> for the external ip address, 66.161.... Most of the time
> if I do an ipconfig /flushdns the next ping will resolve
> to 10.0.1.10. Sometimes this does not work and the PC has
> to be rebooted in order to get the resolution back to an
> internal address.

Hm ... it seems that the clients are loosing the correct
DNS settings; not sure about the how or why, but there's
a thing you could do to confirm the issue, that is; as soon
as one of the client will have the above problems dump
the IP configuration using a command like:

ipconfig /all >dump01.txt

then look at the dump01.txt and check if the listed DNS
server(s) are _only_ the ones on the LAN, the problem
may arise if the clients use a local (LAN) and a remote
(external, e.g. ISP or the like) DNS server in this case
the clients may receive a response from the external
DNS which btw will point to the _public_ address for
your web server, to solve this be sure that your LAN
clients are _only_ using LAN DNS servers

Regards
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 12:00:59 AM

I believe you are correct. I had both the internal &
external DNS servers setup in the DHCP server options. I
have removed the external's and only have internals
assigned.

Is there a way I can proactively request DHCP to renew all
clients?

Thanks for your help.

>Hm ... it seems that the clients are loosing the correct
>DNS settings; not sure about the how or why, but there's
>a thing you could do to confirm the issue, that is; as
soon
>as one of the client will have the above problems dump
>the IP configuration using a command like:
>
>ipconfig /all >dump01.txt
>
>then look at the dump01.txt and check if the listed DNS
>server(s) are _only_ the ones on the LAN, the problem
>may arise if the clients use a local (LAN) and a remote
>(external, e.g. ISP or the like) DNS server in this case
>the clients may receive a response from the external
>DNS which btw will point to the _public_ address for
>your web server, to solve this be sure that your LAN
>clients are _only_ using LAN DNS servers
>
>Regards
>

>.

July 7, 2004 12:24:38 AM

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:00:34 -0700, "JDwyer" <jldwyer_1999@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>We host our own website.
>
>I have an internal DNS record for www.domain1.com resolved
>to an internal ip address 10.0.1.10. Randomly when an
>internal client accesses www.domain1.com they get a 500 -
>DNS error in IE.
>
>When I ping www.domain1.com from their PC, it is looking
>for the external ip address, 66.161.... Most of the time
>if I do an ipconfig /flushdns the next ping will resolve
>to 10.0.1.10. Sometimes this does not work and the PC has
>to be rebooted in order to get the resolution back to an
>internal address.
>
>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do you only have the internal IP on your internal DNS and external IP
on your external DNS? If so, then are your clients pointing to both
DNS servers instead of just the internal? Have the internal forward
unresolved lookups to the external or to your ISP's but only the
internal DNS should answer the client directly.

Jeff
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 12:32:50 AM

In news:277e601c46386$2ccfa630$a401280a@phx.gbl,
jdwyer <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> I believe you are correct. I had both the internal &
> external DNS servers setup in the DHCP server options. I
> have removed the external's and only have internals
> assigned.
>
> Is there a way I can proactively request DHCP to renew all
> clients?
>
> Thanks for your help.

There's a tool called Psexec that you can use to create a batch file with
for your remote computers:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtm...

Or easier, send out an email and have everyone reboot their machines if they
don't know how to do an ipconfig /renew.

:-)

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
July 7, 2004 10:47:59 PM

> Is there a way I can proactively request DHCP
> to renew all clients?

Well ... either use the solution proposed by Ace
in his post, or, temporarily lower the DHCP lease
time so that clients will be forced to renew in less
time and will get the new settings

> Thanks for your help.

You're welcome btw :-) !
July 7, 2004 10:56:39 PM

> I believe you are correct. I had both the internal &
> external DNS servers setup in the DHCP server options. I
> have removed the external's and only have internals
> assigned.

Almost forgot; since we're at it, I'd suggest you to setup
a "double" (or more) DNS config so that you will have
one or more DNS servers sitting on the LAN and one
or more DNS servers sitting on the DMZ those latter
servers will be used as forwarders from the LAN ones
to resolve internet related queries, this will allow you to
keep internal and external resolution separated and
will also give you the ability (if needed) to use some of
the DMZ DNS servers to publish your public zone data
without exposing the AD data

All the best