DNS resolve www

We host our own website.

I have an internal DNS record for www.domain1.com resolved
to an internal ip address 10.0.1.10. Randomly when an
internal client accesses www.domain1.com they get a 500 -
DNS error in IE.

When I ping www.domain1.com from their PC, it is looking
for the external ip address, 66.161.... Most of the time
if I do an ipconfig /flushdns the next ping will resolve
to 10.0.1.10. Sometimes this does not work and the PC has
to be rebooted in order to get the resolution back to an
internal address.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about resolve

    > I have an internal DNS record for www.domain1.com resolved
    > to an internal ip address 10.0.1.10. Randomly when an
    > internal client accesses www.domain1.com they get a 500 -
    > DNS error in IE.
    >
    > When I ping www.domain1.com from their PC, it is looking
    > for the external ip address, 66.161.... Most of the time
    > if I do an ipconfig /flushdns the next ping will resolve
    > to 10.0.1.10. Sometimes this does not work and the PC has
    > to be rebooted in order to get the resolution back to an
    > internal address.

    Hm ... it seems that the clients are loosing the correct
    DNS settings; not sure about the how or why, but there's
    a thing you could do to confirm the issue, that is; as soon
    as one of the client will have the above problems dump
    the IP configuration using a command like:

    ipconfig /all >dump01.txt

    then look at the dump01.txt and check if the listed DNS
    server(s) are _only_ the ones on the LAN, the problem
    may arise if the clients use a local (LAN) and a remote
    (external, e.g. ISP or the like) DNS server in this case
    the clients may receive a response from the external
    DNS which btw will point to the _public_ address for
    your web server, to solve this be sure that your LAN
    clients are _only_ using LAN DNS servers

    Regards

    I believe you are correct. I had both the internal &
    external DNS servers setup in the DHCP server options. I
    have removed the external's and only have internals
    assigned.

    Is there a way I can proactively request DHCP to renew all
    clients?

    Thanks for your help.

    On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:00:34 -0700, "JDwyer" <jldwyer_1999@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >We host our own website.
    >
    >I have an internal DNS record for www.domain1.com resolved
    >to an internal ip address 10.0.1.10. Randomly when an
    >internal client accesses www.domain1.com they get a 500 -
    >DNS error in IE.
    >
    >When I ping www.domain1.com from their PC, it is looking
    >for the external ip address, 66.161.... Most of the time
    >if I do an ipconfig /flushdns the next ping will resolve
    >to 10.0.1.10. Sometimes this does not work and the PC has
    >to be rebooted in order to get the resolution back to an
    >internal address.
    >
    >Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Do you only have the internal IP on your internal DNS and external IP
    on your external DNS? If so, then are your clients pointing to both
    DNS servers instead of just the internal? Have the internal forward
    unresolved lookups to the external or to your ISP's but only the
    internal DNS should answer the client directly.

    Jeff

    In news:277e601c46386$2ccfa630$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    jdwyer <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > I believe you are correct. I had both the internal &
    > external DNS servers setup in the DHCP server options. I
    > have removed the external's and only have internals
    > assigned.
    >
    > Is there a way I can proactively request DHCP to renew all
    > clients?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    There's a tool called Psexec that you can use to create a batch file with
    for your remote computers:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml

    Or easier, send out an email and have everyone reboot their machines if they
    don't know how to do an ipconfig /renew.

    :-)

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    > Is there a way I can proactively request DHCP
    > to renew all clients?

    Well ... either use the solution proposed by Ace
    in his post, or, temporarily lower the DHCP lease
    time so that clients will be forced to renew in less
    time and will get the new settings

    > Thanks for your help.

    You're welcome btw :-) !
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > I believe you are correct. I had both the internal &
    > external DNS servers setup in the DHCP server options. I
    > have removed the external's and only have internals
    > assigned.

    Almost forgot; since we're at it, I'd suggest you to setup
    a "double" (or more) DNS config so that you will have
    one or more DNS servers sitting on the LAN and one
    or more DNS servers sitting on the DMZ those latter
    servers will be used as forwarders from the LAN ones
    to resolve internet related queries, this will allow you to
    keep internal and external resolution separated and
    will also give you the ability (if needed) to use some of
    the DMZ DNS servers to publish your public zone data
    without exposing the AD data

    All the best

IP Address DNS Internet Explorer Windows