What is the problem?

waelt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Hey all what's up ?
I really got sick of that thing ....... my pc is suddenly restarting without any warnings and the cpu temp is cool (31c) !! and so is the system temp (48c)
and i upgraded my RAMS to 2 GIGA DDR-400 also i got MSI Diamond Plus (S939) and NX7900GT so please what is going on? Is it the PSU ??????????
I have AMD X2 4200+ Please help me

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
sounds like PSU to me....after adding components that need more power then get random restarts...most definately PSU.

i would also advise downloading Memtest

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

and testing to see if you get any errors, memory errors can cause reboots too

its either PSU or RAM

waelt

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I faced the same issue before I upgrade. My previous compnents were :
ASUS EN660GT
1 GIGA RAMS
ASUS A8N-Sli
350w fsp !!

Then I upgraded to:

MSI NX7900GT
MSI Diamond plus
2 Giga Rams
500w (im not sure that it's good !!!)

Now ev.thing is ok i put a huge fan infront of the case and its runing ok till now ?? what do you think ??

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You should narrow down the problem like by removing the graphics card and run it or using 4, 2 or 1 dimm and run it..etc. One of those hardware is not working right.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
sounds like PSU to me....after adding components that need more power then get random restarts...most definately PSU.

its either PSU or RAM

i second the motion

Jebazor

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
yea, thas cause deyz mo commotion in da notion....
.... The PSU is most likely the problem, get a new one and try it out.

DeMonOfElRu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
First of all .. as you upgraded your PSU to a higher rating ... you also upgraded your components to a higher power rating. That completely negates the advantage of having a higher-powered psu. So the same problem could still apply.

So, pair up your new psu to your old lower-spec system. See if that changes anything.

If not, it's most likely a conflict in the OS itself. (ie windows). Either hardware in nature (eg IRQs) , or with the particular program/game that you are using, during which it restarts.

Here's what you should do.

First, determine where/when its happening. (eg Inside a game , inside Ms Word , while scanning for viruses with AV software, etc).

2) If its random (aka none of the above) , then check your hardware configuration such as IRQs (usually a problem not found on modern systems but can). Look for 2 identical IRQ numbers with 2 different hardware.

3) There maybe one or two settings not correct in the bios. So check that too. In this case write down the specifics and post it here so we can help you with it.

4) You could also try doing a fresh install on a new blank partition/ blank drive. Doing this "after" trying all of the above first is recommended.

This is also good advice.

...... and this
Is the memory all the same or mixed and match?

... by this I mean you could be running dual-channel memory configuration by using rams with different timings. I guess this could also be a factor. (Never tried it, but I think so)