Reverse Lookup Zone

Jd

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about reverse lookup zones in Windows 2000 DNS.

I am running DNS on my Windows 2000 server with AD. It works fine but I
checked my reverse lookup zone and it has no records in it other then the
two from when it was created. Should there be a record in there for each
host like there is for the forward lookup zone?

And is it dynamic like the forward lookup zone or do I have to create them?

And when I create the reverse lookup zone it ask's for the IP adress or the
name. Which should I use or does it matter?

Thanks

In news:%23jXKkrEZEHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
JD <jd@spam.ent> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions about reverse lookup zones
> in Windows 2000 DNS.
>
> I am running DNS on my Windows 2000 server with AD. It
> works fine but I checked my reverse lookup zone and it
> has no records in it other then the two from when it was
> created. Should there be a record in there for each host
> like there is for the forward lookup zone?
>
> And is it dynamic like the forward lookup zone or do I
> have to create them?
>
> And when I create the reverse lookup zone it ask's for
> the IP adress or the name. Which should I use or does it
> matter?
>
> Thanks

The default behavior of reverse lookup zones is that "Allow dynamic updates"
is set to "No". You can change that on the zone property sheet.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In article <#jXKkrEZEHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, jd@spam.ent says...
>Hi,
>I have a couple of questions about reverse lookup zones in Windows 2000 DNS.
>I am running DNS on my Windows 2000 server with AD. It works fine but I
>checked my reverse lookup zone and it has no records in it other then the
>two from when it was created. Should there be a record in there for each
>host like there is for the forward lookup zone?
>And is it dynamic like the forward lookup zone or do I have to create them?
>And when I create the reverse lookup zone it ask's for the IP adress or the
>name. Which should I use or does it matter?
>Thanks

Unless authority for the zone has been specifically delegated to you by your
upstream provider, it is quite useless to worry about reverse zones. For
further info, see:

http://server2.yellowhead.com/reverse.htm

J.A. Coutts