Event ID: 5781

Date: 7/8/2004

Time: 9:35:28 AM

User: N/A

Computer: servername

Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed
because no DNS servers are available.

I've found some doc about the ID5781 but none are applicable. Maybe there is
more that i didn't find though.

Thanks!
14 answers Last reply
More about problem

    In news:u6DBvePZEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Michel B. <mbruyere.nospam@ezemcanada.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi,
    > I'm having the following warning poping un every 2
    > hours on my 2 DCs.
    >
    > I would like to know if any of you seen this before.
    >
    > Event Type: Warning
    > Event Source: NETLOGON
    >
    > Event Category: None
    >
    > Event ID: 5781
    >
    > Date: 7/8/2004
    >
    > Time: 9:35:28 AM
    >
    > User: N/A
    >
    > Computer: servername

    > Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS
    > records failed because no DNS servers are available.
    >

    > I've found some doc about the ID5781 but none are
    > applicable. Maybe there is more that i didn't find though.

    Usually 5781s can be traced back to single-label domain names, which
    starting with Win2kSP4 caused errors in DNS, if you have recently installed
    SP4 I would suspect your domain is Single-label. The problem is not SP4 but
    your domain name, Microsoft had to fix the bug with single-label queries and
    registration requests going to the root servers.

    In order to acurately diagnose you 5781 you should post your AD domain name,
    ipconfig /all, and list your AD zone name in DNS

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    In news:u6DBvePZEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Michel B. <mbruyere.nospam@ezemcanada.com> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Hi,
    > I'm having the following warning poping un every 2 hours on my 2
    > DCs.
    >
    > I would like to know if any of you seen this before.
    >
    > Event Type: Warning
    > Event Source: NETLOGON
    >
    > Event Category: None
    >
    > Event ID: 5781
    >
    > Date: 7/8/2004
    >
    > Time: 9:35:28 AM
    >
    > User: N/A
    >
    > Computer: servername

    > Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records
    > failed because no DNS servers are available.
    >

    > I've found some doc about the ID5781 but none are applicable. Maybe
    > there is more that i didn't find though.
    >

    > Thanks!

    If you can provide some specific config info on your part, it would help us
    diagnose this for your system, such as:

    1. Unedited ipconfig /all (from two of your DCs)
    2. The actual AD DNS domain name (as ADUC shows it)

    Thanks

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    Hi,
    You guys pointed right to the point I think. I effetivlely have a single
    domain name.
    I 'va found a paper talking about what you said, it KB300684

    does this could resolve my issue?

    Thanks

    In news:OLlDdPQZEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Michel B. <mbruyere.nospam@ezemcanada.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi,
    > You guys pointed right to the point I think. I
    > effetivlely have a single domain name.
    > I 'va found a paper talking about what you said, it
    > KB300684

    This will stop your 5781 events, you always have an issue with the
    single-label domain name.
    You may still have problems with GPOs getting applied.

    --

    In news:O5E53bUZEHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> asked for help and I
    offered my suggestions below:
    >> Hi,
    >> You guys pointed right to the point I think. I
    >> effetivlely have a single domain name.
    >> I 'va found a paper talking about what you said, it
    >> KB300684
    >
    > This will stop your 5781 events, you always have an issue with the
    > single-label domain name.
    > You may still have problems with GPOs getting applied.

    And DFS if planning on using it.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:%23uOVFhVZEHA.2488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
    posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > And DFS if planning on using it.

    Forgot to mention that, BTW you don't have to plan on using it, you have to
    use it. The SYSVOL share is a DFS share.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email. ==========================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:uVM8pqVZEHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> asked for help and I
    offered my suggestions below:
    >> And DFS if planning on using it.
    >
    > Forgot to mention that, BTW you don't have to plan on using it, you
    > have to use it. The SYSVOL share is a DFS share.

    I was thinking more on if planning on a DFS Root.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    so you guys are telling that i'd have to rename my domain one day or
    another, right?

    is there documents that talks about this and the impacts it can have? we are
    somewhat big and can't afford to go down for awhile.

    Thanks

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:%23uOVFhVZEHA.2488@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > In news:O5E53bUZEHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> asked for help and I
    > offered my suggestions below:
    > >> Hi,
    > >> You guys pointed right to the point I think. I
    > >> effetivlely have a single domain name.
    > >> I 'va found a paper talking about what you said, it
    > >> KB300684
    > >
    > > This will stop your 5781 events, you always have an issue with the
    > > single-label domain name.
    > > You may still have problems with GPOs getting applied.
    > >

    > And DFS if planning on using it.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.
    >
    > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    > --
    > =================================

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:%23PVf5JbZEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Michel B. <mbruyere.nospam@ezemcanada.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > so you guys are telling that i'd have to rename my domain
    > one day or another, right?
    >
    > is there documents that talks about this and the impacts
    > it can have? we are somewhat big and can't afford to go
    > down for awhile.

    Unfortunately, you can't rename a Win2k domain, but you can rename a Win2k3
    domain.

    In your situation, your best option is to build a parallel domain and use
    ADMT to migrate all domain accounts.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email. ==========================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Unfortunately, you can't rename a Win2k domain, but you can rename a
    Win2k3
    > domain.
    >
    > In your situation, your best option is to build a parallel domain and use
    > ADMT to migrate all domain accounts.
    >
    > --

    We have a monster problem doing this, we have a databse that is using
    information like
    domainename\username... and guess qhat... it's an ERP system ;/
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:uJ46SscZEHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Michel B. <mbruyere.nospam@ezemcanada.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    >> Unfortunately, you can't rename a Win2k domain, but you
    >> can rename a Win2k3 domain.
    >>
    >> In your situation, your best option is to build a
    >> parallel domain and use ADMT to migrate all domain
    >> accounts.
    >>
    >> --
    >
    > We have a monster problem doing this, we have a databse
    > that is using information like
    > domainename\username... and guess qhat... it's an ERP
    > system ;/

    You're kinda stuck with your single-label domain unless you upgrade to
    Win2k3 and perform a domain rename operation because you can't migrate
    without trust and you can't trust two domains with the same NetBIOS name.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email. ==========================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:uJ46SscZEHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Michel B. <mbruyere.nospam@ezemcanada.com> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    >> Unfortunately, you can't rename a Win2k domain, but you can rename a
    >> Win2k3 domain.
    >>
    >> In your situation, your best option is to build a parallel domain
    >> and use ADMT to migrate all domain accounts.
    >>
    >> --
    >
    > We have a monster problem doing this, we have a databse that is using
    > information like
    > domainename\username... and guess qhat... it's an ERP system ;/

    I agree your best bet is to upgrade to W2k3 in order to facilitate a rename
    operation. Single label names are problematic and difficult to work with
    with DNS, which affects AD substantially.

    Heres'a a little tidbit from a conversation between myself and a Microsoft
    engineer last year concerning this. There's more if you want. I need to dig
    it up.

    =================

    =========================

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Hi,
    Thanks guys, sorry for the delay to get back to you, i was in a
    hurry ;)
    You both may have given me enough ammunition to get the management to move
    on to win2k3 (which i wanted for awhile, but couldn't).

    Thanks i'll print the thread and present it to my manager.

    message news:eyYaCXoZEHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > In news:uJ46SscZEHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Michel B. <mbruyere.nospam@ezemcanada.com> asked for help and I offered my
    > suggestions below:
    > >> Unfortunately, you can't rename a Win2k domain, but you can rename a
    > >> Win2k3 domain.
    > >>
    > >> In your situation, your best option is to build a parallel domain
    > >> and use ADMT to migrate all domain accounts.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >
    > > We have a monster problem doing this, we have a databse that is using
    > > information like
    > > domainename\username... and guess qhat... it's an ERP system ;/
    >
    > I agree your best bet is to upgrade to W2k3 in order to facilitate a
    rename
    > operation. Single label names are problematic and difficult to work with
    > with DNS, which affects AD substantially.
    >

    > Heres'a a little tidbit from a conversation between myself and a Microsoft
    > engineer last year concerning this. There's more if you want. I need to
    dig
    > it up.
    >
    > =================
    > Ace Fekay [MVP] wrote:
    > >> problem. DNS does not play well with single label names since a
    > >> single label name does not depict any sort of hierarchy, since DNS
    > >> is hierarchal based from the leaf nodes (such as "domainname) to the
    > >> next level (such as "com") to the top of the tree (the dot). DNS
    > >> cannot handle single label names, hence the issues revolving around
    > >> it.
    > Michael Snyder [MSFT] wrote:
    > > Ace, just a quick comment regarding your explanation below:
    > >
    > > Registration of single label names resulted in registration attempts
    > > hitting the root servers from so many mis-configured networks on the
    > > internet that a report on W2k prior to SP4 indicated that Windows
    > > DDNS updates were responsible for a significant portion of traffic to
    > > the root servers. To be better internet citizens, W2k3, XP, and W2k
    > > after SP4 stopped attempting DDNS updates on single label names by
    > > default.
    > >
    > > The recommendation to avoid single label names is simply a
    > > recommendation to be a good internet citizen. The system can handle
    > > single label names, but we highly encourage users to avoid using them
    > > because it is too easy for users to create problems for themselves
    > > and others when they use single label names and later want to
    > > interoperate with other organizations over the internet.
    > >
    > > "> Depends on your scenario. If all part of the same AD domain, yes.
    > > If not, no
    >
    > =========================
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    > --
    > =================================

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:OonZYwdaEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Michel B. <mbruyere.nospam@ezemcanada.com> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Hi,
    > Thanks guys, sorry for the delay to get back to you, i was in
    > a hurry ;)
    > You both may have given me enough ammunition to get the management to
    > move on to win2k3 (which i wanted for awhile, but couldn't).
    >
    > Thanks i'll print the thread and present it to my manager.

    Good luck. I have more on this subject with multiple threads pasted into one
    post from the past. If interested, let me know. I'll post it.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.