Mysterious fatal error message during upgrade from 98SE. H..

October 16, 2004 4:09:06 AM

Trying to upgrade from 98se to xp with the cd. If I ask the CD to run the
compatibility check it soon stops and gives me the message "Fatal Error.
Cannot create temporary folder, installation will be interuppted".
If I ignore this and cheekily go on and try an installation of the upgrade
anyway, it soon blocks completely in the preparatory phase (with 71 minutes
remaining till completion).
I've already disinistalled Norton, Nero, Office 97, I've disconnected a
printer and an old modem - but it doesn't strike me as a compatibility
problem and I can't see anything that could be causing this to happen - any
bright sparks out there got an idea??? I really would prefer NOT to have to
go and get a full install. Thanks for reading this.

Kevo
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:40:55 PM

Hi

Please see if the following articles help:

"HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to
Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639&Product=winxp

"HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advis...

--