E6600 reading as a 1.6GHz?

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Ok so i just put my e6600 into an Intel DP965Lt MB and in the bios it reads it as an E6600@2.6 but then right below it says "Procesor speed: 1.6GHz" This is a system i am building for my buddy with a E6400 but i wanted to put my E6600 in it real quick just to see if it would post. (My Asus P5WDH doesnt come in till mon) so any reason why it would have done this. I just finished putting his e6400 in it and it reads as E6400@2.13 Process speed: 2.13" (correct)

Gormeroth

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
hmm sounds like your cpu is being underclocked.. do you have any kind of power save options enabled?

in windows>dxdiag, what clock speed does it have your cpu at?

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
The 1.6 or 1.8 (cant remember now exactly what it said) was just in the bios, i never actually installed windows usin the E6600. I just had mine in for a minute to check that it would post on the bios (didnt even run it with a heatsink which may have not been the brightest idea) Hopefully when i put it in my p5w it will register correctly

*edit* i am actually considering taking out my buddies cpu and putting mine back in with the heatsink and booting up into windows with it. would waste time cleaning the AS5 off and re aplying but at least i would know whats up

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
didnt even run it with a heatsink which may have not been the brightest idea
There's your answer - the CPU will quickly throttle if rapid temperature spike is encountered (it would reach ~80C within seconds).
Regards

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Well I think it would heat right up quickly, throttle, then get no hotter.
They actually run very cool (with a cooler!).
Remember Tommy's did the test, P4 vs. AMD without any coolers? The AMD exploded within seconds, serious mobo meltdown (there were flames).
The Intel clocked way down but was clearly way too hot and not happy. But Windows didn't even crash! Heheh.
Note: a cooler installed, even with a dead fan, is infinitely superior to no cooler at all.
Anyway, good luck to you.
L8R

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
The 1.6 or 1.8 (cant remember now exactly what it said) was just in the bios, i never actually installed windows usin the E6600. I just had mine in for a minute to check that it would post on the bios (didnt even run it with a heatsink which may have not been the brightest idea)

Wow ... and your friend is letting you build his system?

wstcoaster07

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
haha yup. I usualy would have never done that but for some reason i thought i read people were doing bios flashes without a heatsink attached. I guess I assumed without running any OS the cpu had no reason to work and heat up. Well, i learned and good thing intel cpu's nowadays shut off when they get too hot so they dont fry. His system is complete and fully functional now running the E6400. I on the other hand have an E6600 sitting in a box along with all the other computer hardware waiting for the X1900XT & P5W DHDeluxe to come in monday.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Probably "Speedstep". I think you have that feature, go browse the BIOS, and disable it.

Why would you do that though?? Unless you want your CPU running top speed at idle. Did you also know there is no performance degradation...

Let me ask a question to you folks: Do you guys SERIOUSLY care about additional power that Prescott CPUs consume?? I doubt in reality many cares at all. Power management features does NOT impact performance except in cases where its not needed(ie. idle) and to protect CPU(don't you want your CPU to last longer than 5 days??). In the end, all others care about is performance and price.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Probably "Speedstep". I think you have that feature, go browse the BIOS, and disable it.

Why would you do that though?? Unless you want your CPU running top speed at idle. Did you also know there is no performance degradation...

Let me ask a question to you folks: Do you guys SERIOUSLY care about additional power that Prescott CPUs consume?? I doubt in reality many cares at all. Power management features does NOT impact performance except in cases where its not needed(ie. idle) and to protect CPU(don't you want your CPU to last longer than 5 days??). In the end, all others care about is performance and price.

Err.. Speedstep is more for laptops, (feature) I thought.

But prozac26 was trying to help determine why a E6600 2.4ghz CPU was reported to be running at 1.6ghz.

I suppose if you don't want to read everything, and rant about your theories comparing Prescott with Conroe.. go right ahead.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Heh, I cant get over the heatsinkless new C2D processor! Why on earth would you come near the power switch of a rig with an uncovered brand new, hard to get ahold of processor? I guess it was a risk you were willing to take...

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Err.. Speedstep is more for laptops, (feature) I thought.

But prozac26 was trying to help determine why a E6600 2.4ghz CPU was reported to be running at 1.6ghz.

I suppose if you don't want to read everything, and rant about your theories comparing Prescott with Conroe.. go right ahead.

Well, if you also want to make hasty conclusions whether people read everything or not... go right ahead, cause I certainly did read everything.

No, it was obvious why it ran at 1.6GHz without knowing his situation. At idle it will run at lower clock speed, and the BIOS will report model of the CPU as a proper one as its just running at reduced clock speed due to speedstep/c1e/other protection(which we now know why).

The fact that he suggested to turn off SpeedStep tells that really, people won't care about extra wattage, all they will care about is price and performance.

Lots of enthusiasts got TBird Athlon despite that it ran 35+W and hotter than the Pentium IIIs because of higher performance. Of course Prescott's performance is not higher, but the wattage part is trivial.

When Pentium D 805 was shown to be very overclockable and very cheap, it became the CPU that was recommended, despite the fact it would have run very hot and consume awful lots of power at the OC people are gonna do.

mcnaugha

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
Sounds like C1E to me. My E6700 does the same thing.

If enabled in BIOS - which is usually is by default - it doesn't matter what your power-saving settings are. EIST on the otherhand will only play a role when your setting is at "minimal power management". (Tom's usually says set it to "portable" but that's not what Intel says)

Both C1E and EIST can be disabled in BIOS.

They are power-saving features.

There is nothing to suggest disabling these features will shorten your processor's lifespan.

Never run without the heatsink... as the others have said... it's insane. :lol: