I started playing this game ages ago but I quit (do not remember why)
and it has been gathering dust for a while. I started back on it last
week and now I can not put it down. I love how open it is, you might
get yourself killed but if you want to wander from one side of the
island to the other, it is fine and dandy. But I ran into a problem
and I have some questions about some people that are following me
around.

I have a handful of mods installed, mostly graphic improvments and
things like Vivec Expansion, and I also installed the Firemoth mod. I
was given the quest and figured that if he was offering it, I was
surely ready for it and so off to the island I went. My merry band of
adventurers had no trouble slaying skeletons and I explored the entire
area. I found the mushroom eating kitty and off we went to the tomb.

Where everybody died. Quickly. I messed around with it for a while
before deciding that there was no point in trying to beat the robed
skeleton in the room and so I went back to the boat. I could not
leave. I eventually gave up on the boat and most of us swam back to
shore. I lost two of my companions to dreughs in the ocean but
figured it did not matter. Is that skeleton even beatable? Is he
worth going back to later on?

Now the remaining two warriors are following me all over the place and
I have found them quite useful. I went into a daedric ruin before
going to Firemoth and was slaughtered by a Dremora right off the bat.
I tried twice more and gave up on him. But I returned with these two
goofballs and my level 7 character was able to clear out the ruins. I
am guessing I was not supposed to do that yet since I found some items
worth way more than anything else I have seen. There was an ebony
broadsword on the alter along with a grand soul gem with a ogrim
trapped in it (33,000 value!). A Dremora Lord appeared when I picked
up the sword but we killed him easily as well. Even though he gave me
a scare.

Do I need to finish that Firemoth quest or get rid of my helpers
somehow? I am concerned about messing up future quests or something.

And uh.... that 33,000 gold Grand with the Ogrim soul in it... can I
even use it yet or should I stash it away for later? I went to an
enchanter and messed around with enchanting items but everything was
going to cost a fortune and more importantly I think I had zero chance
of using the spells.

dremora slayer wrote:

> I started playing this game ages ago but I quit (do not remember why)
> and it has been gathering dust for a while. I started back on it last
> week and now I can not put it down. I love how open it is, you might
> get yourself killed but if you want to wander from one side of the
> island to the other, it is fine and dandy. But I ran into a problem
> and I have some questions about some people that are following me
> around.
>
> I have a handful of mods installed, mostly graphic improvments and
> things like Vivec Expansion, and I also installed the Firemoth mod. I
> was given the quest and figured that if he was offering it, I was
> surely ready for it and so off to the island I went. My merry band of
> adventurers had no trouble slaying skeletons and I explored the entire
> area. I found the mushroom eating kitty and off we went to the tomb.
>
> Where everybody died. Quickly. I messed around with it for a while
> before deciding that there was no point in trying to beat the robed
> skeleton in the room and so I went back to the boat. I could not
> leave. I eventually gave up on the boat and most of us swam back to
> shore. I lost two of my companions to dreughs in the ocean but
> figured it did not matter. Is that skeleton even beatable? Is he
> worth going back to later on?
>
> Now the remaining two warriors are following me all over the place and
> I have found them quite useful. I went into a daedric ruin before
> going to Firemoth and was slaughtered by a Dremora right off the bat.
> I tried twice more and gave up on him. But I returned with these two
> goofballs and my level 7 character was able to clear out the ruins. I
> am guessing I was not supposed to do that yet since I found some items
> worth way more than anything else I have seen. There was an ebony
> broadsword on the alter along with a grand soul gem with a ogrim
> trapped in it (33,000 value!). A Dremora Lord appeared when I picked
> up the sword but we killed him easily as well. Even though he gave me
> a scare.
>
> Do I need to finish that Firemoth quest or get rid of my helpers
> somehow? I am concerned about messing up future quests or something.

Your character is not ready for Firemoth. The lich at the end is tough
but with the proper potions and weapons is beatable by a single
character. Weapons like Skullcrusher make it much easier.
The followers "think" that you are still going after the lich and
recovering the shield so will continue to follow you until you complete
the quest or lose them.
The items you recovered can be sold to enable you to get better weapons,
armor, and training. Almost anything in a Daedric temple is not related
to any quests. There are a couple of quests to meet people in the temples.

"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> but with the proper potions and weapons is beatable by a single character.
> Weapons like Skullcrusher make it much easier.
> The followers "think" that you are still going after the lich and
> recovering the shield so will continue to follow you until you complete
> the quest or lose them.
> The items you recovered can be sold to enable you to get better weapons,
> armor, and training. Almost anything in a Daedric temple is not related
> to any quests. There are a couple of quests to meet people in the
> temples.
>

>> And uh.... that 33,000 gold Grand with the Ogrim soul in it... can I
>> even use it yet or should I stash it away for later? I went to an
>> enchanter and messed around with enchanting items but everything was
>> going to cost a fortune and more importantly I think I had zero chance

I seem to recall something similar happening to me. I actually enjoyed that
mod because Morrowind fighting is mostly one on one stuff, and the change of
pace was refreshing. I cleared the islands, wandered in, got my Breton butt
whupped royally, and never went back. Kind of got the urge to try that
again now. Been a while since I took out a herd of undead.

Me, I'd get something nice now, while it does the most good, rather than
later, when it won't make much difference to you because you're already
loaded down with magic items and muscles. You can use it to enchant
something now, or any time you want. You're right - Don't try to do it
yourself. At this level, you'd have to buy too many potions to make it
worthwhile.

Ok, you don't sound like you're familiar with enchanting. Here's the DMen
version. Get the best item you can enchant (I go with the exquisite ring -
I think it looks cool, and it'll hold a good, strong spell.)

Some things to know when dealing with enchanters: First, they never fail.
Next, they'll enchant with any spell you know, whether you can even cast it,
or not, so get whatever spell you want. Also, you don't need to know a more
powerful spell to get a better enchantment. Go buy the cheapest version of
the effect you want to enchant with. For example, buy the $2 Firebite spell
instead of the $50 Ranged Fireblast - both will give you the ability to
enchant with fire damage of all kinds, but why pay more, right? I wouldn't
bother with multiple effects - why have two weak enchantments on an item
when you could have a good one that could really make your life easier until
you get better?

More last points, that are more general as they apply to any financial
transaction - Bribe the enchantress up to full, and don't start until you're
fully rested. With all that loot you're selling off, I think you can afford
a couple nice fortify personality and bugmusk (yick!) potions, too. What
the heck, it's only money. You can use whatever you make to get more money
later.

Alternately, if you're a Nord, you can throw it away, along with all of your
posessions and clothing, and run around picking fistfights with innocent
passers by. It's all good.

DMen

starwolf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004

"DMen" <dyrt@shaLALALAw.ca> wrote in message

> Alternately, if you're a Nord, you can throw it away, along with all of
> your posessions and clothing, and run around picking fistfights with
> innocent passers by. It's all good.

<snort, snicker, giggle, cackle>
Toooo funny. Made my day!

Coyote