DNS host name

How can i check what is the name of my dns server ?
eg,ns.mydomain.com.my . Pls advise. thanks

Rgds
Daniel
21 answers Last reply
More about host name

    In news:6a6a9040.0407100930.6fc7d973@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > How can i check what is the name of my dns server ?
    > eg,ns.mydomain.com.my . Pls advise. thanks

    DNS server does not answer by name, the name you give it is only an alias
    for its IP address. You can create any host name you want for a DNS server
    by creating a host record for the IP DNS listens on. For DNS servers to be
    used for public domain hosting you should create a host name for the IP DNS
    listens on in a registered domain you have control of.
    If you want your DNS to be known as ns.mydomain.com and you own mydomain.com
    in your mydomain.com zone create a host named ns for the IP DNS listens on,
    this will be your local glue record then in the public parent servers create
    a host for ns.mydomain.com with the IP your DNS listens on.

    Sorry to be so long, but there is no simple answer, it is not like a website
    or a mail server that answers to a specific name, DNS just has a listening
    IP address.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin, you think, perhaps, he's asking for how to check the authoritative NS
    for his domain?

    like:
    nslookup
    set q=ns
    domainname.whatever

    Just guessing. Otherwise, methinks the easiest way to get the "name" of his
    "dns server" would be to just look in the DNS console :)
    --
    Sincerely,

    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
    www.akomolafe.com
    Yesterday? -anon

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407100930.6fc7d973@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > How can i check what is the name of my dns server ?
    > > eg,ns.mydomain.com.my . Pls advise. thanks
    >
    > DNS server does not answer by name, the name you give it is only an alias
    > for its IP address. You can create any host name you want for a DNS server
    > by creating a host record for the IP DNS listens on. For DNS servers to be
    > used for public domain hosting you should create a host name for the IP
    DNS
    > listens on in a registered domain you have control of.
    > If you want your DNS to be known as ns.mydomain.com and you own
    mydomain.com
    > in your mydomain.com zone create a host named ns for the IP DNS listens
    on,
    > this will be your local glue record then in the public parent servers
    create
    > a host for ns.mydomain.com with the IP your DNS listens on.
    >
    > Sorry to be so long, but there is no simple answer, it is not like a
    website
    > or a mail server that answers to a specific name, DNS just has a listening
    > IP address.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ============================
    > --
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    > issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    > email. ==========================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    > OEBackup:

    In news:%230uimctZEHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Deji Akomolafe <deji@REMOVEPADDINGakomolafedotcom> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Kevin, you think, perhaps, he's asking for how to check
    > the authoritative NS for his domain?

    I dunno, you got me, his question is not very clear if that is what he
    wanted.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email. ==========================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:

    Kevin, where is the public parent server ? is it the isp ? this is
    some info what i looking for, thanks

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<#UoNVZqZEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407100930.6fc7d973@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > How can i check what is the name of my dns server ?
    > > eg,ns.mydomain.com.my . Pls advise. thanks
    >
    > DNS server does not answer by name, the name you give it is only an alias
    > for its IP address. You can create any host name you want for a DNS server
    > by creating a host record for the IP DNS listens on. For DNS servers to be
    > used for public domain hosting you should create a host name for the IP DNS
    > listens on in a registered domain you have control of.
    > If you want your DNS to be known as ns.mydomain.com and you own mydomain.com
    > in your mydomain.com zone create a host named ns for the IP DNS listens on,
    > this will be your local glue record then in the public parent servers create
    > a host for ns.mydomain.com with the IP your DNS listens on.
    >
    > Sorry to be so long, but there is no simple answer, it is not like a website
    > or a mail server that answers to a specific name, DNS just has a listening
    > IP address.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ============================
    > --
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    > issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    > email. ==========================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    > OEBackup:

    Deji, any method to get the FQDN using the nslookup ?

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Deji Akomolafe" <deji@REMOVEPADDINGakomolafedotcom> wrote in message news:<#0uimctZEHA.2516@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > Kevin, you think, perhaps, he's asking for how to check the authoritative NS
    > for his domain?
    >
    > like:
    > nslookup
    > set q=ns
    > domainname.whatever
    >
    > Just guessing. Otherwise, methinks the easiest way to get the "name" of his
    > "dns server" would be to just look in the DNS console :)
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    > www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
    > www.akomolafe.com
    > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
    > Yesterday? -anon
    >

    > "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
    > > In news:6a6a9040.0407100930.6fc7d973@posting.google.com,
    > > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    > > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > > How can i check what is the name of my dns server ?
    > > > eg,ns.mydomain.com.my . Pls advise. thanks
    > >
    > > DNS server does not answer by name, the name you give it is only an alias
    > > for its IP address. You can create any host name you want for a DNS server
    > > by creating a host record for the IP DNS listens on. For DNS servers to be
    > > used for public domain hosting you should create a host name for the IP
    > DNS
    > > listens on in a registered domain you have control of.
    > > If you want your DNS to be known as ns.mydomain.com and you own
    > mydomain.com
    > > in your mydomain.com zone create a host named ns for the IP DNS listens
    > on,
    > > this will be your local glue record then in the public parent servers
    > create
    > > a host for ns.mydomain.com with the IP your DNS listens on.
    > >
    > > Sorry to be so long, but there is no simple answer, it is not like a
    > website
    > > or a mail server that answers to a specific name, DNS just has a listening
    > > IP address.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best regards,
    > > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > > Hope This Helps
    > > ============================
    > > --
    > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    > > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    > > issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    > > email. ==========================================
    > > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
    > > It will strip signature out and more
    > > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
    > > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    > > OEBackup:
    > > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407110029.57766002@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Kevin, where is the public parent server ? is it the isp
    > ? this is
    > some info what i looking for, thanks

    No it is not the ISP, the parent servers are the gTLD servers for .com,
    ..org, .net, .us, or what ever the TLD is.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email. ==========================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407100930.6fc7d973@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > How can i check what is the name of my dns server ?
    > eg,ns.mydomain.com.my . Pls advise. thanks
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    What exactly are you looking for? Can you post your domain name so we can
    check and test what you're trying to do?

    If using nslookup to try to find the authorative nameservers, try this:

    nslookup
    set type=ns
    mydomain.com

    (the answer shows up here)

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Kevin, its the internet root server ? so if i want to setup a name
    server i have to enter it into the parent server ?

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<eKOebk0ZEHA.2408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407110029.57766002@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Kevin, where is the public parent server ? is it the isp
    > > ? this is
    > > some info what i looking for, thanks
    >
    > No it is not the ISP, the parent servers are the gTLD servers for .com,
    > .org, .net, .us, or what ever the TLD is.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ============================
    > --
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    > issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    > email. ==========================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    > OEBackup:
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Ace, this is what i'm looking. Sorry for making some confusion. I've
    noticed that all answer were Non-authoritative, is it because my dns
    server cached it ?

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#muta73ZEHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407100930.6fc7d973@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    > suggestions below:
    > > How can i check what is the name of my dns server ?
    > > eg,ns.mydomain.com.my . Pls advise. thanks
    > >
    > > Rgds
    > > Daniel
    >
    > What exactly are you looking for? Can you post your domain name so we can
    > check and test what you're trying to do?
    >
    > If using nslookup to try to find the authorative nameservers, try this:
    >
    > nslookup
    > set type=ns
    > mydomain.com
    >
    > (the answer shows up here)
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407112204.f2008fd@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Kevin, its the internet root server ? so if i want to
    > setup a name
    > server i have to enter it into the parent server ?

    Your registrar will have to do this for you.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email. ==========================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407120553.3c008bb8@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Ace, this is what i'm looking. Sorry for making some
    > confusion. I've
    > noticed that all answer were Non-authoritative, is it
    > because my dns
    > server cached it ?

    I'm glad Ace was able to get the right answer for you, this is why it is
    important that your questions are clear as to what you want.
    That said, the reson why you are getting non-authoritative answers is
    because the DNS you are querying does not have the answer, it is getting the
    answer elsewhere. Either from cached queries, or even directly from the
    authoritative DNS.
    If you want authoritative answer you have to make the query directly to an
    authoritative DNS server.
    Here is an example of each:
    Non-authoritative:
    W:\>nslookup
    Default Server: kjweb.lsaol.com
    Address: 192.168.0.2

    > microsoft.com
    Server: kjweb.lsaol.com
    Address: 192.168.0.2

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: microsoft.com
    Addresses: 207.46.130.108, 207.46.250.119

    Authoritative:
    W:\>nslookup
    Address: 192.168.0.2

    > server ns1.msft.net
    Default Server: ns1.msft.net
    Address: 207.46.245.230

    > microsoft.com
    Server: ns1.msft.net
    Address: 207.46.245.230

    Name: microsoft.com
    Addresses: 207.46.250.119, 207.46.130.108

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email. ==========================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407120553.3c008bb8@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Ace, this is what i'm looking. Sorry for making some confusion. I've
    > noticed that all answer were Non-authoritative, is it because my dns
    > server cached it ?
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    Kevin responded to your answers.

    I just want to add, we are always trying to help anyone who posts here.

    I do notice you post alot, which is very good! There's no way to find out
    the answer to something if you don't ask a question!!

    One thing I would like to ask of you Daniel, in the future, when you post
    again,. its very IMPORTANT to be very SPECIFIC and provide DETAILS and
    ELABORATE when you post a question. This will help us to help you.
    Otherwise if you don't provide details and be specific, it will lead to
    numerous questions from us asking to be specific and just takes longer for
    you to get the answer you;re looking for.

    Just trying to help out.
    Have a nice day!
    :-)

    Thanks!!

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Kevin, how come when i use nslookup to find the authoritative server
    it say timeout 2 seconds but i can still logon to the website ? btw
    how to let nslookup return a server name and ip when i do nslookup ? i
    have my own dns server installed. Curretly it returns localhost and
    127.0.0.1

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<e4aF3wBaEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407120553.3c008bb8@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Ace, this is what i'm looking. Sorry for making some
    > > confusion. I've
    > > noticed that all answer were Non-authoritative, is it
    > > because my dns
    > > server cached it ?
    >
    > I'm glad Ace was able to get the right answer for you, this is why it is
    > important that your questions are clear as to what you want.
    > That said, the reson why you are getting non-authoritative answers is
    > because the DNS you are querying does not have the answer, it is getting the
    > answer elsewhere. Either from cached queries, or even directly from the
    > authoritative DNS.
    > If you want authoritative answer you have to make the query directly to an
    > authoritative DNS server.
    > Here is an example of each:
    > Non-authoritative:
    > W:\>nslookup
    > Default Server: kjweb.lsaol.com
    > Address: 192.168.0.2
    >
    > > microsoft.com
    > Server: kjweb.lsaol.com
    > Address: 192.168.0.2
    >
    > Non-authoritative answer:
    > Name: microsoft.com
    > Addresses: 207.46.130.108, 207.46.250.119
    >
    > Authoritative:
    > W:\>nslookup
    > Default Server: kjweb.lsaol.com
    > Address: 192.168.0.2
    >
    > > server ns1.msft.net
    > Default Server: ns1.msft.net
    > Address: 207.46.245.230
    >
    > > microsoft.com
    > Server: ns1.msft.net
    > Address: 207.46.245.230
    >
    > Name: microsoft.com
    > Addresses: 207.46.250.119, 207.46.130.108
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ============================
    > --
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    > issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    > email. ==========================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    > OEBackup:
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0408070048.14413b2b@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
    > Kevin, how come when i use nslookup to find the authoritative server
    > it say timeout 2 seconds but i can still logon to the website ? btw
    > how to let nslookup return a server name and ip when i do nslookup ? i
    > have my own dns server installed. Curretly it returns localhost and
    > 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    IT is not an error but a message saying you do not have a reverse zone or
    there is no PTR entry for the IP address of your DNS server.

    This message HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WEBSITE. It is an nslookup message,
    nothing else.

    To fix it, change the 127.0.0.1 to the actual IP address of your server.
    Make sure you have a reverse zone created for subnet of the actual IP
    address of your DNS server. Make sure you have a PTR entry for your DNS
    server in this reverse zone.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Ace , do you mean that i need to add PTR entry to resolve timeout or
    get can server name and ip ? Currently my NIC dns is the dns server
    ip. no 127.0.0.1

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ev12AULfEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0408070048.14413b2b@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
    > > Kevin, how come when i use nslookup to find the authoritative server
    > > it say timeout 2 seconds but i can still logon to the website ? btw
    > > how to let nslookup return a server name and ip when i do nslookup ? i
    > > have my own dns server installed. Curretly it returns localhost and
    > > 127.0.0.1
    > >
    > > Rgds
    > > Daniel
    >
    > IT is not an error but a message saying you do not have a reverse zone or
    > there is no PTR entry for the IP address of your DNS server.
    >
    > This message HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WEBSITE. It is an nslookup message,
    > nothing else.
    >
    > To fix it, change the 127.0.0.1 to the actual IP address of your server.
    > Make sure you have a reverse zone created for subnet of the actual IP
    > address of your DNS server. Make sure you have a PTR entry for your DNS
    > server in this reverse zone.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0408080436.7881a2b9@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote:
    > Ace , do you mean that i need to add PTR entry to resolve
    > timeout or
    > get can server name and ip ? Currently my NIC dns is the
    > dns server
    > ip. no 127.0.0.1

    Remove 127.0.0.1 from the NIC and put in the IP address of the internal NIC
    that DNS is listening on.
    If nslookup still reports "Can't find server name for <ipaddress>" then you
    need to take a look at your reverse lookup zone. If you need to post back
    about the nslookup message, post the entire unedited message so we can give
    you instructions on what you need.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    with OEBackup:
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:OV$sGeUfEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made a post then I
    commented below
    > In news:6a6a9040.0408080436.7881a2b9@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote:
    >> Ace , do you mean that i need to add PTR entry to resolve
    >> timeout or
    >> get can server name and ip ? Currently my NIC dns is the
    >> dns server
    >> ip. no 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Remove 127.0.0.1 from the NIC and put in the IP address of the
    > internal NIC that DNS is listening on.
    > If nslookup still reports "Can't find server name for <ipaddress>"
    > then you need to take a look at your reverse lookup zone. If you need
    > to post back about the nslookup message, post the entire unedited
    > message so we can give you instructions on what you need.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps

    Kevin, I've mentioned this a couple times to Daniel, once in this thread and
    a couple times in the past in other threads. I hope your explanation comes
    across to Daniel better than mine did.

    Ace
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0408080436.7881a2b9@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below
    > Ace , do you mean that i need to add PTR entry to resolve timeout or
    > get can server name and ip ? Currently my NIC dns is the dns server
    > ip. no 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    Read Kevin's post please.

    Dan, your message below said:

    >>> how to let nslookup return a server name and ip when i do nslookup
    >>> ? i have my own dns server installed. Curretly it returns localhost
    >>> and 127.0.0.1

    Which means that it's higly obvious that 127.0.0.1 is in there. Can you
    provide an ipconfig /all?

    PTR will resolve the name for your IP.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Kevin,yes 127.0.0.1 is in my 2nd NIC. I removed it. What is host ip
    number in PTR record ?

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<OV$sGeUfEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0408080436.7881a2b9@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote:
    > > Ace , do you mean that i need to add PTR entry to resolve
    > > timeout or
    > > get can server name and ip ? Currently my NIC dns is the
    > > dns server
    > > ip. no 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Remove 127.0.0.1 from the NIC and put in the IP address of the internal NIC
    > that DNS is listening on.
    > If nslookup still reports "Can't find server name for <ipaddress>" then you
    > need to take a look at your reverse lookup zone. If you need to post back
    > about the nslookup message, post the entire unedited message so we can give
    > you instructions on what you need.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > with OEBackup:
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0408100851.44725f8b@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Kevin,yes 127.0.0.1 is in my 2nd NIC. I removed it. What
    > is host ip
    > number in PTR record ?

    Your asking me to tell you what the IP of your private NIC is?
    I'm not clairvoyant.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    with OEBackup:
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0408100851.44725f8b@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> made a post then I commented below

    > What is host ip number in PTR record ?

    You should know what your own machine's IP addresses are.

Hostname DNS Server Microsoft DNS Windows