Event ID: 5504
Date: 07/11/2004
Time: 6:21:24 PM
User: N/A
Computer: DELL8100
The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a
packet from 127.0.0.1. The packet will be rejected. The
event data contains the DNS packet.

Data:
0000: bf c6 01 00 01 00 00 00 ¿Æ......
0008: 00 00 00 00 03 77 77 77 .....www
0010: 06 67 6f 6f 67 6c .googl

these are just tests i have been trying through nslookup.

thanks,
dave
4 answers Last reply
More about power failure

    Hi David

    A few questions:

    1. Is this a DC?
    2. Does the zone exist for the domain that this server is in?
    3. Are the zones AD integrated or standard primary?
    4. What happens if you point the preferred DNS settings on the NIC to the IP
    instead of the localhost address?

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    "David Marr" <dave@phormat.com> wrote in message
    I am running DNS locally on a Win2k3 box, and after a
    power failure, the local DNS server does not seem to be
    responding. When I drop to DOS and do nslookup, it tries
    to find a DNS server at 127.0.0.1, but says DNS request
    timed out.

    I tried removing DNS and readding through Add/Remove
    Windows Components, and still no luck.

    I dont see any glaring errors in the event log, except
    for the following:

    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: DNS
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5504
    Date: 07/11/2004
    Time: 6:21:24 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: DELL8100
    The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a
    packet from 127.0.0.1. The packet will be rejected. The
    event data contains the DNS packet.

    Data:
    0000: bf c6 01 00 01 00 00 00 ¿Æ......
    0008: 00 00 00 00 03 77 77 77 .....www
    0010: 06 67 6f 6f 67 6c .googl

    these are just tests i have been trying through nslookup.

    thanks,
    dave

    Thanks for the reply Mark.

    It is not a domain controller. This is just a simple home
    setup, so Active Directory is not installed either.
    Zones are all primary, and I am pointing nslookup to the
    ip (127.0.0.1).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks again,
    Dave

    Dave -

    I have a similar setup at home. I use my Win2K3 Server
    for both routing and DNS lookups. My client PCs know only
    about the Server, not about my ISPs.

    1) I would recommend avoiding the use of the loopback
    address, and use the same IP address the clients will use
    to resolve DNS requests. You should have a static IP
    address bound to at least one NIC. If you have more than
    one NIC, use the internal NIC (attached to your local
    network), not the one connected to the ISP.

    2) Check connectivity to your Router/ISP. If you can't
    ping your gateway, you can't get out and won't resolve DNS.

    3) check and update your root servers list.

    4) Make sure you don't have "." listed in your DNS tables.

    Good luck!

    Scott.

    - - - - -
    Subject: Power failure, now no DNS?

    Date: 07/11/2004
    Time: 6:21:24 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: DELL8100
    The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a
    packet from 127.0.0.1. The packet will be rejected. The
    event data contains the DNS packet.

    Data:
    0000: bf c6 01 00 01 00 00 00 ¿Æ......
    0008: 00 00 00 00 03 77 77 77 .....www
    0010: 06 67 6f 6f 67 6c .googl

    these are just tests i have been trying through nslookup.

    thanks,
    dave
    ..

    Hi David

    So what DNS records would this server be attempting to register against the
    DNS server? Are you able to explain what zones you have and what DNS suffix
    this server may be configured with? Feel free to email me directly if you'd
    like to take the details offline.

    Kind regards
    --

> [...]

DNS Server DNS Power Windows