XP Users slowly login to windows 2000 domain

Hi

XP Users slowly login to windows 2000 domain.
How i can resolve this problem?

thanks

HRJ -

The deal is that Windows XP uses DNS before WINS for name
resolution.

The trick is to do one of:

1) Use one of your DCs as the ONLY DNS server listed for
each of the XP clients (MS recommended method)

2) Make sure the DNS server you do list first knows about
your Domain and DCs.

or

3) List the Domain and each of your DCs in the local hosts
file for each of the Win-XP PCs. This method has the
possibility of creating a maintenance nightmare later if
anything changes.

I hope this information helps.

Scott.

"HRJ" <daniald2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> XP Users slowly login to windows 2000 domain.
> How i can resolve this problem?

Usually by fixing the DNS. Either the Server DNS or
the way the clients are configured to use the DNS.

Also possible is there is no "local" AD DC (not a leftover
BDC which the XP machines normally prefer NOT to use.)

DNS
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS client NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC.

--
Herb Martin

"Scott Hutchinson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HRJ -
>
> The deal is that Windows XP uses DNS before WINS for name
> resolution.
>
> The trick is to do one of:
>
> 1) Use one of your DCs as the ONLY DNS server listed for
> each of the XP clients (MS recommended method)

In general...
This is NOT good advice (and it doesn't matter who recommends
it -- but probably there were a bunch of caveats or a specific set
of conditions.

As long as you have your DNS server fully replicated (they should
be) it is no problem to have the CLOSEST/BEST listed first and
the others listed in addition.

It is BETTER because if the first goes down, or is otherwise
misbehaving, resolution will continue.

> 2) Make sure the DNS server you do list first knows about
> your Domain and DCs.

Make sure ALL DNS server know the exact same thing --
Clients presume that ALL DNS server will return the same
info.

For Domain clients this means that they must be pointed SOLELY
at the INTERNAL DNS Server SET.

> or
>
> 3) List the Domain and each of your DCs in the local hosts
> file for each of the Win-XP PCs. This method has the
> possibility of creating a maintenance nightmare later if
> anything changes.

"hosts" files are difficult to manage, to keep up to
date and then cause more trouble due to wrong answers being
used.

This is NOT a good general solution.

DNS for AD Domains

1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS client NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2

Restart NetLogon on any DC if you change any of the above that
affects a DC.

--
Herb Martin

> I hope this information helps.
>
> Scott.

In news:2b16f01c467ff$9603a840$a401280a@phx.gbl,
HRJ <daniald2002@yahoo.com> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
below:
> Hi
>
> XP Users slowly login to windows 2000 domain.
> How i can resolve this problem?
>
> thanks

As Scott and Herb mentioned, its a DNS issue. Follow their recommendations.
If you have your ISP's DNS addresses in your IP configuration (DCs and
clients), then need to be REMOVED and would the cause of the whole problem.

Just a little background, AD uses DNS. DNS stores AD's resource and service
locations in the form of SRV records, hence how everything that is part of
the domain will find resources in the domain. If you list your ISP's DNS,
your clients (and DCs) will be asking your ISP's DNS 'where's my domain
controller?" whenever it needs to perform a function (log in, replicate,
query GPOs, etc), and the ISP doesn't have that info.

If this is your current scenario, I would suggest to only use your DNS, (on
all machines, DCs and clients) and believe me, Internet resolution will
still work with the use of the Root hints (as long as the root zone doesn't
exist). For more effcient Internet resolution, its HIGHLY recommended to
configure a forwarder. If the forwarding option is grayed out, delete the
Root zone (looks like a period). If not sure how to complete these two
tasks, follow this article, it shows you a step by step (depending on your
operating system):

323380 - HOW TO Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows Server 2003 :
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323380

300202 - HOW TO Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows Server 2000 :
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300202

--
Regards,
Ace