Ephemeral ports in Windows2000 (a way to fix the port for ..

Does anybody know how to fix the ports used for W2K when it queries root DNS
servers ?

We want to protect a DNS server throu ACLs, the problem is: according to the
Technet, W2K uses ephemeral ports (1024..5000) for such queries, which means
all that port range has to be open on the ACL, in order to permit the
entrance of the returning traffic throu the Router. We want that the DNS
server uses only a fixed port, let's say UDP 53, as it did on NT 4.

Thank you.

In news:%23opem8CaEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Roy Valenciano <royvalenciano@hotmail.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Does anybody know how to fix the ports used for W2K when it queries
> root DNS servers ?
>
> We want to protect a DNS server throu ACLs, the problem is: according
> to the Technet, W2K uses ephemeral ports (1024..5000) for such
> queries, which means all that port range has to be open on the ACL,
> in order to permit the entrance of the returning traffic throu the
> Router. We want that the DNS server uses only a fixed port, let's say
> UDP 53, as it did on NT 4.
>
> Thank you.

I hate those emperial ports. You can force it thru the reg. Read up on it:

SendPort for DNS (is what you need to know about):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/95408.asp

Read up on this. In part 3 there's info about the SendOnNonDnsPort.
Some more info on reg entries for DNS:
198410 - Microsoft DNS Server Registry Parameters, Part 3 of 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=198410
198409 - Microsoft DNS Server Registry Parameters, Part 2 of 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=198409
198408 - Microsoft DNS Server Registry Parameters, Part 1 of 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=198408

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

RV> We want to protect a DNS server throu[gh] ACLs, the problem is:

The problem is that you don't understand what you are doing and why.
Ephemeral ports are a good thing. What you are supposedly protecting your DNS
server from is response spoofing. But part of what makes responses difficult
(albeit not very difficult - The DNS protocol was not well designed.) to spoof
is that an attacker has to guess both message ID and local port number. If
you fix the local port number, in the way that you are wanting to, all that an
attacker has to do is guess the message ID. You merely make the attack quite
a lot easier.

<URL:http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/forgery.html>