Virtual ip

we have a few freelancers working on an ldap machine
which has a static ip address and will require aliases as
well as virtual ip addresses. Is this possible? I am
running win03 server w/ ad and dns. here is the criteria:

static ip - hornet - 192.168.1.10
www.abc.company.com
abc.company.com
www.123.abc.company.com
123.abc.company.com

For the most part this was easy, i created a host name
for hornet @ 1. 10 then created aliases for the url's.
Then i was asked to a virtual ip address with additional
url's.

hornet - 192.168.1.15
www.xyz.company.com
xyz.company.com
456.xyz.company.com
www.456.xyz.company.com

I tried doing this by adding the same host name with a
different ip. but they said that this is not what they
want. they just need a virtual ip to resolve to this
address? how can i do this?

thanks in advance.

In news:2b67501c4683e$75aa4290$a401280a@phx.gbl,
edgar <edgar.serrano@designory.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> we have a few freelancers working on an ldap machine
> which has a static ip address and will require aliases as
> well as virtual ip addresses. Is this possible? I am
> running win03 server w/ ad and dns. here is the criteria:
>
> static ip - hornet - 192.168.1.10
> www.abc.company.com
> abc.company.com
> www.123.abc.company.com
> 123.abc.company.com
>
> For the most part this was easy, i created a host name
> for hornet @ 1. 10 then created aliases for the url's.
> Then i was asked to a virtual ip address with additional
> url's.
>
> hornet - 192.168.1.15
> www.xyz.company.com
> xyz.company.com
> 456.xyz.company.com
> www.456.xyz.company.com
>
> I tried doing this by adding the same host name with a
> different ip. but they said that this is not what they
> want. they just need a virtual ip to resolve to this
> address? how can i do this?
>
> thanks in advance.

A virtual IP? We use that term in conjunction with clustering. Or if you use
the same name with different IPs, then that's Round Robin taking effect.
Besdies, if you use a different IP, the machine needs to be configured with
those additional IPs.

I know you're saying an LDAP server, but the only other thing I can think of
in terms of 'virtual IP' is if you have mutliple web servers in a farm and
use a product such as BigIP with one 'virtual IP' to connect to and it
passes the request to the next server in line for a load balancing.

Or you taling NLB (network load balancing)?

Here's

I'm not totally understanding your post, unless someone else can. Otherwise,
maybe if you can describe what they are looking to do and we can go from
there, such as one machine, mutliple machines, etc.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Sorry, I did not mean LDAP. We are running a web server
running apache.

newsgroups
>so all can benefit.
>
>This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
guarantees
>and confers no rights.
>
>Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I,
MCT, MVP
>Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
>
>HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
>A lifetime commitment for a pig.
>--
>=================================
>

>.

In news:2c0dd01c468f3$efa9c9c0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
edgar <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Sorry, I did not mean LDAP. We are running a web server
> running apache.

Well that clears up alot of it.

So can you provide exactly what they want??

example:
Do they want two servers running the website? (For load balancing).
Do they just want one server running mutliple websites? (Called virtual
hosting).

Maybe their talking about hostheaders?? That's required for virtual hosting.
Need to create the name in DNS then mimic that name in the hostheader for
that specific website and IIS (or whatever webserver you use) will respond
to requests based on that name.

If you can't describe what they want (I was hoping you responded with that)
or your security policy keeps you from depicting this, maybe take a look at
these links to explain how virtual hosting works with DNS:

324260 - HOW TO Configure DNS Records for Your Web Site in Windows Server
2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324260

315982 - HOW TO Configure DNS Records for Your Web Site in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315982

IIS Answers - DNS for IIS Administrators:
http://www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm

Using Host Headers to Allow for One I.P Address to Host Multiple Domains:
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/ASPscripts/PrintPage.asp?REF=/webtech/080200-1.shtml

--
Regards,
Ace