Zone not loaded by DNS server.

While starting DNS on one of my ADC's I get: The DNS server encountered an
error while attempting to load the zone. The zone data may not be available
in AD, or the zone data is corrupt.

This server is a Win2k Adc w/ SP3 installed. The other DNS servers are fine.
I'm also getting Event ID 4004 and 4015 in the event viewer.

This is an Active Diectory integrated zone. The properties of it say
'Expired'

Thanks,
- J

In news:OmlF7IEaEHA.384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
JJB <jeffbatesatCrouse.org> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
below:
> While starting DNS on one of my ADC's I get: The DNS server
> encountered an error while attempting to load the zone. The zone data
> may not be available in AD, or the zone data is corrupt.
>
> This server is a Win2k Adc w/ SP3 installed. The other DNS servers
> are fine. I'm also getting Event ID 4004 and 4015 in the event viewer.
>
> This is an Active Diectory integrated zone. The properties of it say
> 'Expired'
>
> Thanks,
> - J

Interesting. Are you only pointing to this DNS server in your ip properties?
Can you provide an ipconfig /all so we can evaluate your config?

Here's more info on the 4004:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4004&eventno=334&source=DNS&phase=1

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

The server is pointing to itself as primary DNS, Secondary to another valid
working DNS server.

Given the age and type of hardware on this server, we're going to replace it
with a new windows 2003 ADC server.

Thanks,
- Jeff

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:eIkEodIaEHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

In news:ub2ljxQaEHA.2296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
JJB <jeffbatesatCrouse.org> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
below:
> The server is pointing to itself as primary DNS, Secondary to another
> valid working DNS server.
>
> Given the age and type of hardware on this server, we're going to
> replace it with a new windows 2003 ADC server.
>
> Thanks,
> - Jeff

That may not be necessary to fix this. As the article indicates, the best
practice method to eliminate a few possible issues (this issue and the
'Island" issue) is to point to the partner for the first entry, then itself
for the second entry. Obviously any DNS server that you use in your org must
contain the same exact info for AD to properly function.

I am assuming the "working" DNS is another DC/DNS and both your DCs are
hosting AD Integrated zones.If the other server hosts a secondary zone, then
the requests will get forwarded back to itself, not a scenario you would
want.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

I have a non-AD environment and am also experiencing corrupt reverse PTR
zone file issues.

It happens about once or twice a month, and is always the same reverse
PTR zone file that gets corrupted. Secondary DNS server is fine.

I dont see anything glaring in the logs or event viewer

Any insight would be *GREATLY* appreciated as we are planning to move
to AD soon, and want to integrate DNS , but I have to get this stable
before the switch...

--
twenty8eight

In news:twenty8eight.1cjqo2@mail.mcse.ms,
twenty8eight <twenty8eight.1cjqo2@mail.mcse.ms> made a post then I commented
below
> I have a non-AD environment and am also experiencing corrupt reverse
> PTR zone file issues.
>
> It happens about once or twice a month, and is always the same reverse
> PTR zone file that gets corrupted. Secondary DNS server is fine.
>
> I dont see anything glaring in the logs or event viewer
>
> Any insight would be *GREATLY* appreciated as we are planning to move
> to AD soon, and want to integrate DNS , but I have to get this stable
> before the switch...

What sort of Event log errors are you getting?