Event ID: 7062
Date: 7/12/2004
Time: 11:30:47 AM
User: N/A
Computer: Hornet
The DNS server encountered a packet addressed to itself
on IP address 192.168.8.10. The packet is for the DNS
name "139.163.81.63.in-addr.arpa.". The packet will be
discarded. This condition usually indicates a
configuration error.

Check the following areas for possible self-send
configuration errors:
1) Forwarders list. (DNS servers should not forward to
themselves).
2) Master lists of secondary zones.
3) Notify lists of primary zones.
4) Delegations of subzones. Must not contain NS record
for this DNS server unless subzone is also on this
server.
5) Root hints.

Example of self-delegation:
-> This DNS server dns1.example.microsoft.com is the
primary for the zone example.microsoft.com.
-> The example.microsoft.com zone contains a delegation
of bar.example.microsoft.com to
dns1.example.microsoft.com,
(bar.example.microsoft.com NS
dns1.example.microsoft.com)
-> BUT the bar.example.microsoft.com zone is NOT on
this server.

Note, you should make this delegation check (with
nslookup or DNS manager) both on this DNS server and on
the server(s) you delegated the subzone to. It is
possible that the delegation was done correctly, but that
the primary DNS for the subzone, has any incorrect NS
record pointing back at this server. If this incorrect NS
record is cached at this server, then the self-send could
result. If found, the subzone DNS server admin should
remove the offending NS record.

You can use the DNS server debug logging facility to
track down the cause of this problem.

Data:
0000: 50 25 00 00 P%..

How do i resolve this? Everything is working fine with
no problems. I am just very precaucious when it comes to
warnings.

In news:2bf8901c46846$8d4f4b40$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Edgar <edgar.serrano@designory.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> What is this?
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: DNS
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7062
> Date: 7/12/2004
> Time: 11:30:47 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: Hornet
> The DNS server encountered a packet addressed to itself
> on IP address 192.168.8.10. The packet is for the DNS
> name "139.163.81.63.in-addr.arpa.". The packet will be
> discarded. This condition usually indicates a
> configuration error.

That reverse lookup IP is delegated to another DNS server, I assume yours.
What is your DNS server using for a forwarder?
Does it have itself listed in the root hints?

Do you have any delegations on this DNS server, with itself listed as the NS
for the delegation?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:2bf8901c46846$8d4f4b40$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Edgar <edgar.serrano@designory.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> What is this?
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: DNS
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7062
> Date: 7/12/2004
> Time: 11:30:47 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: Hornet
> The DNS server encountered a packet addressed to itself
> on IP address 192.168.8.10. The packet is for the DNS
> name "139.163.81.63.in-addr.arpa.". The packet will be
> discarded. This condition usually indicates a
> configuration error.
>
> Check the following areas for possible self-send
> configuration errors:
> 1) Forwarders list. (DNS servers should not forward to
> themselves).
> 2) Master lists of secondary zones.
> 3) Notify lists of primary zones.
> 4) Delegations of subzones. Must not contain NS record
> for this DNS server unless subzone is also on this
> server.
> 5) Root hints.
>
> Example of self-delegation:
> -> This DNS server dns1.example.microsoft.com is the
> primary for the zone example.microsoft.com.
> -> The example.microsoft.com zone contains a delegation
> of bar.example.microsoft.com to
> dns1.example.microsoft.com,
> (bar.example.microsoft.com NS
> dns1.example.microsoft.com)
> -> BUT the bar.example.microsoft.com zone is NOT on
> this server.
>
> Note, you should make this delegation check (with
> nslookup or DNS manager) both on this DNS server and on
> the server(s) you delegated the subzone to. It is
> possible that the delegation was done correctly, but that
> the primary DNS for the subzone, has any incorrect NS
> record pointing back at this server. If this incorrect NS
> record is cached at this server, then the self-send could
> result. If found, the subzone DNS server admin should
> remove the offending NS record.
>
> You can use the DNS server debug logging facility to
> track down the cause of this problem.

> Data:
> 0000: 50 25 00 00 P%..
>

> How do i resolve this? Everything is working fine with
> no problems. I am just very precaucious when it comes to
> warnings.

Setup a forwarder to your ISP's DNS and see if this goes away (should take
care of it).

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

DNS does have Forwarders set to our isp. in fact, i have
3 dns domains.

newsgroups
>so all can benefit.
>
>This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
guarantees
>and confers no rights.
>
>Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I,
MCT, MVP
>Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
>
>HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
>A lifetime commitment for a pig.
>--
>=================================
>

>.

the dns forwarders are set to our isp's dns server. as
for the root hints, it does not have itself listed. root
hints (fqdn) start at a and stop at m.root.servers.net

I'm checking with our isp if there dns servers have
changed. btw, is this error message something to worry
about.

your
>newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
>issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from
my
>email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
>Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
>It will strip signature out and more
>Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
>OEBackup:
>

>.

In news:2c10c01c468f5$900d6650$a401280a@phx.gbl,
edgar <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> the dns forwarders are set to our isp's dns server. as
> for the root hints, it does not have itself listed. root
> hints (fqdn) start at a and stop at m.root.servers.net
>
> I'm checking with our isp if there dns servers have
> changed. btw, is this error message something to worry
> about.

What about my third question?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

In news:2c10c01c468f5$900d6650$a401280a@phx.gbl,
edgar <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> the dns forwarders are set to our isp's dns server. as
> for the root hints, it does not have itself listed. root
> hints (fqdn) start at a and stop at m.root.servers.net
>
> I'm checking with our isp if there dns servers have
> changed. btw, is this error message something to worry
> about.

Its a configuration issue.
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7062&source=

If you have more than one DNS, individually forward to the ISP. If the ISP
does not support forwarding to (which will show up with another error) then
choose another forwarder. You can use 4.2.2.2 to test it (it works fine).

Since you have 3 child domains (or one Root and two child domains?), we;ll
need to know how your DNS infrastructure is setup. This may be the cause of
it all.

So:
Did you delegate from the parent to the child and then forward from the
child to the parent and from the parent forward to the ISP (this is the
proper way to do it). If not, depending on how you did it, may be causing
the issue.

Please describe your configuration.

--

In news:OtBpLUSaEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,