Website Publishing

In news:2b00f01c4688c$dd6ffa70$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Mughal <kashi_mughal@hotmail.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I m hosting a website on Tomcat server on my LAN. The
> users on LAN have to given the URL :
> http://computername:8080/sitename
> how can i set the DNS that user can access the site on LAN
> by giving just:
> http://sitename.com

Sorry, it can't be done with DNS. You could use website redirection but then
one would wonder if you did that why not just use port 80 in the first
place.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

I've used port 80 in tomcat config. file already but that
way i have to give http://computername/siteurl
but i want the user give a normal url without computername
like:

http://siteurl

so kindly help out me, if u know about it. i m on windows
2000 server domain.

Best Regards....

your
>newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
>issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from
my
>email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
>Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
>It will strip signature out and more
>Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
>OEBackup:
>

>.

In news:2bc2e01c4695e$915f7110$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Mughal <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I've used port 80 in tomcat config. file already but that
> way i have to give http://computername/siteurl
> but i want the user give a normal url without computername
> like:
>
> http://siteurl
>
> so kindly help out me, if u know about it. i m on windows
> 2000 server domain.

If you want to access the site with a single-label name, you'll want to add
the name to your hosts file on your machines.

For your HTTP server to accept the name you'll need to configure that in the
server, with the host header. You can do this using IIS, but I'm not up on
your your particular HTTP server, I can't tell you how to configure it for
the name.