hallo everybody!

on my pc there is process WDB.EXE always running and using 30-40% of the
resources of the CPU
I can see it in the TASK BAR
if I close it it starts again and again

antivirus programs like norton, spyware, ad-aware, don't find it like an
"evil" program and don't remove it

what kind of application is it?

is an usefull application?

how can I stop it?

if somone may help me I would be very happy

thanks in advance

michela

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:13:03 GMT, imm wrote:

> hallo everybody!
>
> on my pc there is process WDB.EXE always running and using 30-40% of the
> resources of the CPU
> I can see it in the TASK BAR
> if I close it it starts again and again
>
> antivirus programs like norton, spyware, ad-aware, don't find it like an
> "evil" program and don't remove it
>
> what kind of application is it?
>
> is an usefull application?
>
> how can I stop it?
>
> if somone may help me I would be very happy

It's not a standard Windows XP file and am not finding much about it with a
Google search.

If you can locate the wdb.exe file on your hard drive, its location and
properties may tell you what program it was installed with. You'll have a
better starting point for assessing the problems you're having with that
file.

If it belongs to a program that you use often, you'll want to check if the
high cpu usage is normal for the program or if an update will help the
program to run more efficiently. If it's from a program that you hardly
every use, consider uninstalling it.

If on the other hand, you cannot determine what this file is, what it does
and what it belongs to - you may want to try renaming it to wdb.old and, if
possible, use Start> Run> MSCONFIG> Startup to disable it from running in
the background.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Microsoft Works database file

Norman R. Cross wrote:
> Microsoft Works database file

That could be true if it were a file with the extension .wdb, but it's
an executable.

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:13:03 GMT, imm wrote:
>
> > hallo everybody!
> >
> > on my pc there is process WDB.EXE always running and using 30-40% of the
> > resources of the CPU
> > I can see it in the TASK BAR
> > if I close it it starts again and again
> >
> > antivirus programs like norton, spyware, ad-aware, don't find it like an
> > "evil" program and don't remove it
> >
> > what kind of application is it?
> >
> > is an usefull application?
> >
> > how can I stop it?
> >
> > if somone may help me I would be very happy
> >

> It's not a standard Windows XP file and am not finding much about it with
> Google search.
>
> If you can locate the wdb.exe file on your hard drive, its location and
> properties may tell you what program it was installed with. You'll have a
> better starting point for assessing the problems you're having with that
> file.
>
> If it belongs to a program that you use often, you'll want to check if the
> high cpu usage is normal for the program or if an update will help the
> program to run more efficiently. If it's from a program that you hardly
> every use, consider uninstalling it.
>
> If on the other hand, you cannot determine what this file is, what it does
> and what it belongs to - you may want to try renaming it to wdb.old and,
if
> possible, use Start> Run> MSCONFIG> Startup to disable it from running in
> the background.

unfortunately it's not so simple!
MSCONFIG doesn't find it like an application that starts at the start up.
it's not in the list

unfortunately this application is something like a worm or a spy-program
it search to connect to a site called virtumundo and my firewall block it,
that site is an "evil" site
ad-aware find something linked to virtumundo on my pc and cancell it but it
reappears each time

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:36:29 GMT, imm wrote:

> unfortunately it's not so simple!
> MSCONFIG doesn't find it like an application that starts at the start up.
> it's not in the list
>
> unfortunately this application is something like a worm or a spy-program
> it search to connect to a site called virtumundo and my firewall block it,
> that site is an "evil" site
> ad-aware find something linked to virtumundo on my pc and cancell it but it
> reappears each time

You didn't mention that this had already been identified as spyware on your
system. Check the AdAware logs for a name attached to this particular
spyware. Then look it up at the AdAware or other anti-spyware sites to see
if there are some manual removal directions that need to be done by you.
You could also try running AdAware in Safe Mode. It may have better luck
cleaning this mess up in an environment where the problem file(s) are not
running.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

here some helpfull URLs::

Mcaffee
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_101169.htm

Vitumundo
http://privacy.virtumundo.com/

pestpatrol
http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/v/virtumonde.asp

The likely source is some type of file sharing or other "FREE" program
(such as Kazzaa, bear share). When you install the pragram (in
SMALL,obfuscated print) it TELLS you that you are explicitely giving it
permission to gather "marketing" info.

regards,
AD

--