Mobile Graphics Benchmarks

mpjesse

Splendid
Guys,

Need some help here. I've been scouring the web for the past 2 days looking for a decent article that compares the performance of ALL modern mobile graphics chips. Specifically, the nVidia 7xxx and ATi x1400+ series. Googles turns up results on a few choice chips, but not all of them. Does anyone know of a site that's done a thorough review of all mobile graphics chips (or at least a few)? At this point i'd settle for a site that does nothing but high end notebook reviews or high end GPU (mobile) reviews.

I'm buying an Alienware laptop and they give you a lot of choices for video cards. I want to make the right choice. (It seems the best price/performance chip is the mobility x1800... but i can't find benches on the 7600 GS!)

Thanks,

mpjesse

mpjesse

Splendid
the THG VGA charts don't list/benchmark mobile chips. as you are undoubtedly aware, mobile chips are usually significanty different from their desktop counterparts.

at any rate, I did a lot of reading and apparently the x1800 (mobile) has the best price/performance ratio for mobile graphics. as such, I have settled on this bad ass lappy:

http://www.alienware.com/configurator_pages/area-51_m5750.aspx?syscode=PC-LT-AREA51M5750-R2&subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

i'll upgrade the RAM on my own... it's WAY cheaper to buy 1GB on newegg than to pay $150 for it. additionally, i'll be abstaining from the RAID 0 option and getting the DVDR drive. otherwise, that's the configuration i'll be ordering tomorrow!

thx anyways guys

The X1800 is solid. It's a little crippled versus the X1800XT, but it's solid and will easily compete with the GF7900GS winning more than it loses (with them being strong in their traditional areas).

The disadvantage to ATi chips is thier desire to truely sip power by really REALLY throttling back the VPU during battery runs (you can disable that of course).

For the most part the X1400 is crap, the X1600 is OK (finding itself between the X1600P and X1600XT onthe desktop). The GF7600 is worse, and while I havent' seen a review of the GFGO7600GT, I did see one come up in the propertiers on the Sony Blu-Ray equipped laptop I was looking at @ Futureshop (should checked the clocks but didn't think it was weird at the time).

The fastest of course are the GF7 SLi rigs, and then the GF7900GTX , then the X1800XT then the GF7800GTX, then the GF7900GS/X1800/GF7800 are all in the same ball park and in that order IMO. The interesting thing is for raw horsepower the Mobile X800XT is pretty much as powerful or more than all 3 of those, but really that's mostly for older games.

Despite the talk and even launch of an X1900 mobile variant I haven't seen anything materialise (going from "coming soon", to simply removed from sites).

Supposedly there will be new offering from ATi and nV in the fall, with nV potentiall having a G8 series laptop model before Xmas, and ATi soon to have a mid-range replacement for the X1600 (MRX1650 or MRX1700, with the former being the more likely candidate, but stil nut unthinkable that the naming would be X1700 just because of the consistency of models on laptops and resitance to half numbers [see R9700]).