Device Manager issues

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hopefully this is in the right place. On my new build, the device manager has the yellow question mark next to my USB Controller. The thing is, everything appears to be in working order as far as all my usb ports go. I installed the chipset drivers but this is still showing up. The mb cd says that the drivers aren't necessary since XP already has usb 2.0 drivers. I tried to install them anyway but nothing happens. I've updated to SP2 AFAIK...did the download and the Control Panel shows that its installed. Is this something to worry about? BTW dual cores/2GB of memory is the bomb!!! I haven't tried any games yet but running multiple programs are no longer a pain. I tried Prime 95 for 5 hours without any issues so I'll let it run overnight to see what happens.

pat

Expert
Hopefully this is in the right place. On my new build, the device manager has the yellow question mark next to my USB Controller. The thing is, everything appears to be in working order as far as all my usb ports go. I installed the chipset drivers but this is still showing up. The mb cd says that the drivers aren't necessary since XP already has usb 2.0 drivers. I tried to install them anyway but nothing happens. I've updated to SP2 AFAIK...did the download and the Control Panel shows that its installed. Is this something to worry about? BTW dual cores/2GB of memory is the bomb!!! I haven't tried any games yet but running multiple programs are no longer a pain. I tried Prime 95 for 5 hours without any issues so I'll let it run overnight to see what happens.

Just right click on the usb port with a yellow ! and choose "update drivers'.. ands let windows find the right driver.

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Thanks for the reply but I've tried that with the mb disk in one of the drives and it still doesn't find the drivers. It's more of a nuisance than anything because all of the usb ports work. They may not be working at full spped though.

pat

Expert
Thanks for the reply but I've tried that with the mb disk in one of the drives and it still doesn't find the drivers. It's more of a nuisance than anything because all of the usb ports work. They may not be working at full spped though.

Maybe they are set as usb 1.1 only in BIOS, noth for both speed then..

sullione

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Maybe they are but I checked bios and enabled both. I just don't understand why they wont install from the mb disk.

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Maybe they are but I checked bios and enabled both. I just don't understand why they wont install from the mb disk.

Sorry ,but win XP has native support for USB 2+,don't screw with it,"if it workz leave it be"..
Try and get your paws on a registry cleaner/optimizer of some type..g'luck
OR you could reinstall XP over itself and maybe get lucky?????

TRENDING THREADS