Secondary DNS Server on Additional Domain Controller

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 13, 2004 5:27:49 PM

Hello,

I have successfully configured a local domain and where DNS was
installed when the first domain controller was promoted. To test some
fault tolerant schemes in our lab, I promoted an additional domain
controller but I noted that the promotion process did not install a
DNS server on that box. If I want a secondary DNS server, do I do it
separate from promotion or should have dcpromo on the second box also
have installed DNS (and thus for some reason failed)???

Thanks!

--CW
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 7:34:11 PM

You have to install DNS. Every DC may not need to run DNS.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"corn29@ no_spam excite.com" <corn29@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have successfully configured a local domain and where DNS was
> installed when the first domain controller was promoted. To test some
> fault tolerant schemes in our lab, I promoted an additional domain
> controller but I noted that the promotion process did not install a
> DNS server on that box. If I want a secondary DNS server, do I do it
> separate from promotion or should have dcpromo on the second box also
> have installed DNS (and thus for some reason failed)???
>
> Thanks!
>
> --CW
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 8:37:13 PM

In news:216bf30e.0407131227.2338cdcf@posting.google.com,
corn29@ no_spam excite.com <corn29@excite.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello,
>
> I have successfully configured a local domain and where
> DNS was installed when the first domain controller was
> promoted. To test some fault tolerant schemes in our
> lab, I promoted an additional domain controller but I
> noted that the promotion process did not install a DNS
> server on that box. If I want a secondary DNS server, do
> I do it separate from promotion or should have dcpromo on
> the second box also have installed DNS (and thus for some
> reason failed)???

If you are using Active Directory integrated zones on the current DC, all
you need to do is install DNS on the second DC. The AD integrated zones will
be replicated through AD. You don't have to allow zone transfers or
configure zone transfers.
Just an added note, this will not be a secondary zone, it will be a
replicated master zone with itself list as the SOA primary name server.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Should the DNS be installed before DCPROMO in the additional DS or after ?
Pl. explain
August 31, 2011 8:19:29 PM

kkswaami said:
Should the DNS be installed before DCPROMO in the additional DS or after ?
Pl. explain

You are replying to a very old thread here, but is your situation the same? What operating system do you have on the new Domain Controller?
October 14, 2011 7:03:46 AM

The domain setup on the DNS server can be done after the domain is registered, however, the domain name will not work until the DNS setup is completed. A DNS server maps a domain name to IP address(es) of the web server and mail server so that a client can connect to the webserver or mail server using the domain name and not the IP address. A forward lookup zone is created for the domain name in the DNS server. Start of authority (SOA), Name server (NS), Hostname (A), Canonical Names (CNAME) and Mail eXchange (MX) entries are added to the forward lookup zone as shown below for a domain "foodomain.com" with name servers "ns1.dnsserver.com" and "ns1.dnsserver.com".

Piyush
Lepide
October 14, 2011 7:49:25 AM

anilkkumar said:
The domain setup on the DNS server can be done after the domain is registered,

Your reply seems to be about public DNS on the internet, the thread is about Active Directory and internal integration with DNS, which is very different.
!