Adding Reverse DNS Records

I have implemented W2K DNS services and imported a forward lookup zone and
now need to implement the reverse lookup zones. Because I am migrating from
one domain name to another, I don't want to import the reverse lookup zone
but want to create it new. I have tried going into the A records in the
forward zone and checking the Update associated Pointer Record box but
nothing happens. Is there any way to get that to work or will I have to
create each pointer individually? Any help would be great.

Jeff Teall

In news:OimNWzRaEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Teall <jteall57@yahoo.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have implemented W2K DNS services and imported a
> forward lookup zone and now need to implement the reverse
> lookup zones. Because I am migrating from one domain
> name to another, I don't want to import the reverse
> lookup zone but want to create it new. I have tried
> going into the A records in the forward zone and checking
> the Update associated Pointer Record box but nothing
> happens. Is there any way to get that to work or will I
> have to create each pointer individually? Any help would
> be great.

It will not create the PTR if the A record already exists, only update the
PTR if the PTR already exists. You can create the PTR when you create the A
record, but only if the Zone already exists.
If you are using an OS that support DDNS, such as Win2k and WinXP, they can
create their own PTR records, if the zone allows dynamic updates by running
ipconfig /registerdns in a command prompt.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

T> I have tried going into the A records in the forward zone
T> and checking the Update associated Pointer Record box but
T> nothing happens.

You cannot put things into a "zone" if you haven't actually created the "zone"
in the first place.

Thanks for the conformation. I have turned on the DDNS update function for
the reverse lookup zone and as I repoint devices to use the new server, it
should update the reverse lookup. I am playing around with VBS to see if I
can create a script that can read a file and create the PTR records for me.
I need this type of script anyway for updating records in existing zones
when I have several changes to make at once.

Jeff Teall