[POLL] To early for alt.games.oblivion?

I got my finger on the trigger...soon as public opinion decides it's time,
I'll pull.

--
John Henry
"The Canadian people seem very friendly. I was happy to see them waving

    John Henry wrote:

    > I got my finger on the trigger...soon as public opinion decides it's time,
    > I'll pull.

    I do think it's too soon, since we haven't much to talk about until the
    game is out. But it's great that you are ready to launch the NG.

    I'm ready to play the game. :)

    "John Henry" <jhd@inNOSPAMsurgent.orgy> wrote in message
    > I got my finger on the trigger...soon as public opinion decides it's
    > time, I'll pull.

    Should we see what Oblivion is all about first? nah? When's it to be
    released?

    Too bad someone didn't create alt.games.half-life2 right. Most ISP's
    won't carry it. So, we're all using alt.games.half-life. Would it
    hurt if a similar thing happened here?
    McG.

    John Henry wrote:

    > I got my finger on the trigger...soon as public opinion decides it's time,
    > I'll pull.

    Personally, I would prefer that the messages were in the elder-scrolls
    newsgroup.

    Me too. I think it is bad when new games in a series keep making their
    own group so that you get a series of groups with a short life instead
    of an ongoing group that supports all the games (but predominantly the
    most recent).

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in news:sL_Hd.51179
    $Z%.25986@fe1.texas.rr.com:

    > Too bad someone didn't create alt.games.half-life2 right. Most ISP's
    > won't carry it. So, we're all using alt.games.half-life. Would it
    > hurt if a similar thing happened here?

    Which similar thing?

    I checked isc.org for alt.games.half-life2, and it has a control message
    archived; this is the ultimate litmus test for the validity of a
    newsgroup. If the message was malformed it *likely* wouldn't be archived,
    but it could be; I don't know how much of those processes is automated
    anymore (i.e. ISC just takes anything with a cmsg newgroup header). What
    is said to be the problem with that group? Let me know and I'll followup
    with the admins here; they're as clueful as it gets, so if nothing else I
    might be able to send a booster message or something that corrects any
    improper formatting issues.

    Note to 'rather do it in elder-scrolls' people: As discussed in the
    AGMFAQ (www.lowgenius.com/agmfaq.asp), the problem with that is the same
    as it was for morrowind: people generally don't search on 'elder-
    scrolls,' they search on 'morrowind.' There is a small group of dedicated
    individuals (granted it grows with each game) who might think to look for
    ES, but in general, people search for Morrowind when they're looking for
    information about Morrowind. My website server logs reflect this, as do
    various discussions on this group over the last couple of years; many
    people have said that if not for this group, they'd have never heard of
    AGES.

    I should hope that this never becomes a matter of 'this or that.' The
    groups are complimentary, there's no reason not to use them both. I
    happen to use AGM because I don't own any of the other games in the ES
    series.

    Chances are when Oblivion comes out they'll do the same thing. Chances
    are someone who comes to Usenet looking for advice about Oblivion or
    Morrowind or Daggerfall doesn't know that there's already a thriving ES
    community that covers all those games; they just know they want
    information about the one they're playing.

    *Ideally,* back when the earliest ES groups were created, someone would
    have done alt.games.elder-scrolls, and then alt.games.elder-
    scrolls.daggerfall, alt.games.elder-scrolls.redguard, alt.games.elder-
    scrolls.morrowind, etc., but that's not the way it worked out. Eventually
    what will likely happen is game-specific conversations will move to game-
    specific newsgroups, while metadiscussions (historical lore about Nim, for
    instance) and discussions about games within the ES series that don't have
    their own groups will remain in AGES.

    --

    John Henry wrote:

    > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in news:sL_Hd.51179
    > $Z%.25986@fe1.texas.rr.com:
    >

    >>Too bad someone didn't create alt.games.half-life2 right. Most ISP's
    >>won't carry it. So, we're all using alt.games.half-life. Would it
    >>hurt if a similar thing happened here?
    >

    > Which similar thing?
    >
    > I checked isc.org for alt.games.half-life2, and it has a control message
    > archived; this is the ultimate litmus test for the validity of a
    > newsgroup. If the message was malformed it *likely* wouldn't be archived,
    > but it could be; I don't know how much of those processes is automated
    > anymore (i.e. ISC just takes anything with a cmsg newgroup header). What
    > is said to be the problem with that group? Let me know and I'll followup
    > with the admins here; they're as clueful as it gets, so if nothing else I
    > might be able to send a booster message or something that corrects any
    > improper formatting issues.
    >
    > Note to 'rather do it in elder-scrolls' people: As discussed in the
    > AGMFAQ (www.lowgenius.com/agmfaq.asp), the problem with that is the same
    > as it was for morrowind: people generally don't search on 'elder-
    > scrolls,' they search on 'morrowind.' There is a small group of dedicated
    > individuals (granted it grows with each game) who might think to look for
    > ES, but in general, people search for Morrowind when they're looking for
    > information about Morrowind. My website server logs reflect this, as do
    > various discussions on this group over the last couple of years; many
    > people have said that if not for this group, they'd have never heard of
    > AGES.

    The problem with your method is that when people are looking for help
    with an older game in the series where do they look? Most of the active
    posters only follow one group. So if everyone moves to Oblivion then
    someone looking for help with Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind are only
    going to find ghost towns in those groups. There are a number of posts
    in this groups from people looking for help with Arena and Daggerfall
    and I do not know how they found this group.
    Elder Scrolls is the name of the game series and most people would think
    to look for that along with the game name. And what happens if after
    the group is set up and running Bethesda has to change the name of the
    game because of legal problems? We would know where to look but no one
    else.

    Michael W. Ryder wrote:

    > And what happens if after
    > the group is set up and running Bethesda has to change the name of the
    > game because of legal problems?

    Good point.

    > "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in news:sL_Hd.51179
    > $Z%.25986@fe1.texas.rr.com:
    >
    >> Too bad someone didn't create alt.games.half-life2 right. Most ISP's
    >> won't carry it. So, we're all using alt.games.half-life. Would it
    >> hurt if a similar thing happened here?
    >
    > Which similar thing?

    Nevermind, you created alt.games.morrowind and I'm sure you will get
    a.g.oblivion right :)

    > I checked isc.org for alt.games.half-life2, and it has a control
    > message archived; this is the ultimate litmus test for the validity
    > of a newsgroup. If the message was malformed it *likely* wouldn't be
    > archived, but it could be; I don't know how much of those processes
    > is automated anymore (i.e. ISC just takes anything with a cmsg
    > newgroup header). What is said to be the problem with that group?
    > Let me know and I'll followup with the admins here; they're as
    > clueful as it gets, so if nothing else I might be able to send a
    > booster message or something that corrects any improper formatting
    > issues.

    It is that there are a few people in alt.games.half-life that state
    bluntly that alt.games.half-life2 was improperly created. I know
    nothing about these things myself. I've tried several times now to have
    my ISP pick up a.g.h-l2 but no go so far. I thought it might be due to
    some irregularity in the ng's creation. The originator of the new
    a.g.h-l2 agrees there was something irregular in the creation of it, but
    not the existence of it. I am just going by what OP have said in
    a.g.h-l

    > Note to 'rather do it in elder-scrolls' people: As discussed in the
    > AGMFAQ (www.lowgenius.com/agmfaq.asp), the problem with that is the
    > same as it was for morrowind: people generally don't search on
    > 'elder- scrolls,' they search on 'morrowind.' There is a small group
    > of dedicated individuals (granted it grows with each game) who might
    > think to look for ES, but in general, people search for Morrowind
    > when they're looking for information about Morrowind. My website
    > server logs reflect this, as do various discussions on this group
    > over the last couple of years; many people have said that if not for
    > this group, they'd have never heard of AGES.
    >
    > I should hope that this never becomes a matter of 'this or that.' The
    > groups are complimentary, there's no reason not to use them both. I
    > happen to use AGM because I don't own any of the other games in the ES
    > series.
    >
    > Chances are when Oblivion comes out they'll do the same thing.
    > Chances are someone who comes to Usenet looking for advice about
    > Oblivion or Morrowind or Daggerfall doesn't know that there's already
    > a thriving ES community that covers all those games; they just know
    > they want information about the one they're playing.
    >
    > *Ideally,* back when the earliest ES groups were created, someone
    > would have done alt.games.elder-scrolls, and then alt.games.elder-
    > scrolls.daggerfall, alt.games.elder-scrolls.redguard, alt.games.elder-
    > scrolls.morrowind, etc., but that's not the way it worked out.
    > Eventually what will likely happen is game-specific conversations
    > will move to game- specific newsgroups, while metadiscussions
    > (historical lore about Nim, for instance) and discussions about games
    > within the ES series that don't have their own groups will remain in
    > AGES.

    Frankly, me; I think that a seperate ng for oblivion would be much
    better, even as a.g.m is better than a.g.e-s (what you said :) )
    McG.

    The same thing happened when Diablo 2 came out. There was quite an active
    community at a.g.diablo, and then somebody decided to create a.g.diablo2.
    There was much contention at the time, but now both groups are equally
    thriving, despite the fact that almost nobody in either group ever discusses
    Diablo 1 anymore. Of course, who knows what will happen if they ever create
    a Diablo 3. I don't think anybody could justify the existence of a THIRD
    group for the series, and both the AGD and AGD2 groups would certainly want
    to be discussing the new game. (AGD2 has also seen a good bit of discussion
    about World of Warcraft, since that game doesn't seem to have its own group
    yet, and many people are calling it the unofficial D3.)

    I do see John's logic for having a Morrowind group and not just
    Elder-Scrolls. Heck, I didn't even notice the words "Elder Scrolls" in the
    title of the game until it was brought up here. If I hadn't found this
    group, I might have searched for Bethesda or something, but it would never
    have occurred to me to search for Elder Scrolls. Then again, this is the
    first game in the series I've played, and I hadn't even heard of the others
    before this. I have a feeling though, that Oblivion is a game which will be
    primarily of interest to current Morrowind players, and may not attract as
    many newcomers to the series as Morrowind has. I may be totally wrong about
    that, but I haven't seen as much excitement about Oblivion in other game
    forums as I saw about Morrowind when it was just coming out...

Oblivion Games Video Games