raid 0, sata1 vs sata2, with onboard (fakeraid) which faster

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 13, 2006 6:31:05 AM

Hi all im gona be building a new system not sure yet on the am2 or conroe. I have access to free box of 5 40gb barracuda 40gb hard drives that are sata 1 (1.5 gb)

model for 40gb drive ST340014AS 2mb buffer?

Now i do have in my budget enough for two 80gb new barracuda drives taht are sata 2 (3gb).

My question is this on a new nforce mb with sata raid (which i assume all mb sata raid is fakeraid)

Which would be faster, im looking for those fast bf2 load times i dont worry at all about data storage onlything on this comp is xp and games.

Now im wondering if the hard drives really need the 3.0gb of transfer or if the 1.5s would be just as good and free.

Or i also hear that motherboard sata raid puting more then 2 drives on it can really take a processor hit, but yes i will be using duel core processor either amd5000 or conroe 6600/6700

Thanks for all those who reply.

More about : raid sata1 sata2 onboard fakeraid faster

August 14, 2006 2:14:19 PM

Quote:
Hi all im gona be building a new system not sure yet on the am2 or conroe. I have access to free box of 5 40gb barracuda 40gb hard drives that are sata 1 (1.5 gb)

Be careful, i think your using GB and Gb in wrong contexts.
Quote:

model for 40gb drive ST340014AS 2mb buffer?

Now i do have in my budget enough for two 80gb new barracuda drives taht are sata 2 (3gb).

My question is this on a new nforce mb with sata raid (which i assume all mb sata raid is fakeraid)

Fakeraid? Your referring to software raid I believe. And no, that is not true, onboard controllers do use hardware raid to bind devices.
Quote:

Which would be faster, im looking for those fast bf2 load times i dont worry at all about data storage onlything on this comp is xp and games.

Raid 0 will not likely raise your load time dramatically because of the drives, but for what your looking for raid 0 would help. If you intend to use all five of your drives, you will need a controller card with supports 5 drives.
Quote:

Now im wondering if the hard drives really need the 3.0gb of transfer or if the 1.5s would be just as good and free.
Search the forum and web, SATA I and SATA II are not leaps and bounds of improvements over each other, while the name suggests something different it your still limited to your bus, the SATAII or SATA IO is still bound by 20 to 30% schema parity.
Another note, your drives you have only have a 2mb cache, which does not help with your goal in achieving faster load times. Perhaps an new Raptor or something with a 16mb cache configuration would better suite you.
Quote:

Or i also hear that motherboard sata raid puting more then 2 drives on it can really take a processor hit, but yes i will be using duel core processor either amd5000 or conroe 6600/6700

Onboard raid does hit the cpu, but less for Sata devices than IDE. I suggest new drives, I would hate to see a FX or Conroe ship be limited because of of small cache and slow RMPS. Get a single Raptor and use the 40GB drives for storage.
Quote:

Thanks for all those who reply.
!