Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Slow Logon

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2004 10:49:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

We have just introduced a trolley of 15 laptops running Win XP Pro to
our school network. These are connecting via a wireless network card
to 3Com wireless access points onto our network.
When we put 15 laptops out and then log them on simultaneously, the
first one or 2 log in within a minute, the last can take up to 8 mins
to log on. It is always on the 'applying your personal settings' part.
The logons being used use a mandatory roaming profile which is around
800kb, so I am sure profile size is not an issue.
This also happens when just one laptop is being logged on and it is
always on the 'applying personal setting' bit. Wireless is 802.11g.
The reason for posting here is that everything i have researched on
this problem points to some sort of DNS problem but where can I
start..Any help appreciated as we have just bought another 140
laptops..

More about : slow logon

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2004 5:10:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

My domain controller/DNS Server IPconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : wpadmin
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : westpark.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : westpark.local

Ethernet adapter Gigabit LAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C996B Gigabit Server
NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-5E-02-A5-55
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.44.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.44.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.44.6
10.0.44.7
My Win XP Laptop IPConfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Laptop
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : westpark.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : westpark.local

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : westpark.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel Pro Wireless Lan
2100 3B Mini PCI adaptor
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-6A-43-12
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.45.55
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.44.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.44.6
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.44.6
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 July 2004 08:27:14
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 September 2004 08:27:14
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2004 1:25:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:c843083e.0407152337.76c87ad0@posting.google.com,
Peter Loerns <peter.loerns@westpark.derby.sch.uk> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> My domain controller/DNS Server IPconfig /all
>
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : wpadmin
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : westpark.local
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : westpark.local

Ethernet adapter Gigabit LAN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C996BGigabit Server NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :00-0A-5E-02-A5-55
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :10.0.44.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :255.255.252.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :10.0.44.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :10.0.44.6
10.0.44.7

The laptop is using the DC for DNS, so let us focus on this DC and its DNS
server.

Using the DNS management console under Forward Lookup Zones, you have a zone
named westpark.local, correct?

Does that zone have the four subfolders in it named _msdcs, _sites, _tcp,
and _udp?

Is "Allow dynamic updates" set to "Yes" or "Only secure updates"?

What is the DNS server at 10.01.44.7?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
==========================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
==========================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
==========================================
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 8:52:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<OiTfkD0aEHA.3764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> In news:c843083e.0407152337.76c87ad0@posting.google.com,
> Peter Loerns <peter.loerns@westpark.derby.sch.uk> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > My domain controller/DNS Server IPconfig /all
> >
> > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
> >
> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : wpadmin
> > Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : westpark.local
> > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
> > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> > DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : westpark.local
>
> Ethernet adapter Gigabit LAN:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C996BGigabit Server NIC
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :00-0A-5E-02-A5-55
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :10.0.44.6
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :255.255.252.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :10.0.44.1
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :10.0.44.6
> 10.0.44.7
>
> The laptop is using the DC for DNS, so let us focus on this DC and its DNS
> server.
>
> Using the DNS management console under Forward Lookup Zones, you have a zone
> named westpark.local, correct?
>
> Does that zone have the four subfolders in it named _msdcs, _sites, _tcp,
> and _udp?
>
> Is "Allow dynamic updates" set to "Yes" or "Only secure updates"?
>
> What is the DNS server at 10.01.44.7?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
> email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ==========================================
> Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> It will strip signature out and more
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> ==========================================
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> ==========================================

Kevin

Yes. In DNS management, teh folder westpark.local and the four folders
as mentioned are there. In the dynamic updates section it is nonsecure
and secure updates allowed. Active directory integrated.
The other Ip address listed is our secondary DNS server ?
Is that the info you need.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 1:07:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:c843083e.0407190352.1e469267@posting.google.com,
Peter Loerns <peter.loerns@westpark.derby.sch.uk> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Yes. In DNS management, teh folder westpark.local and the
> four folders
> as mentioned are there. In the dynamic updates section it
> is nonsecure
> and secure updates allowed. Active directory integrated.
> The other Ip address listed is our secondary DNS server ?

Everything seems to be right, at least on the AD integrated DNS, tell me
more about the "Secondary" DNS server. Does that DNS server have a secondary
zone for the AD zone westpark.local? Is it a domain controller?

Does the Domain Controller pass DCDiag and Netdiag tests?
XP clients have their own netdiag in Help and support, tools, Network
diagnostics.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
==========================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
==========================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
==========================================
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 9:08:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:uJCu7mZbEHA.368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> asked for help and I
offered my suggestions below:

> Everything seems to be right, at least on the AD integrated DNS, tell
> me more about the "Secondary" DNS server. Does that DNS server have a
> secondary zone for the AD zone westpark.local? Is it a domain
> controller?
>
> Does the Domain Controller pass DCDiag and Netdiag tests?
> XP clients have their own netdiag in Help and support, tools, Network
> diagnostics.
>

Kevin, I looked thru this as well and agree the config seems to be correct.
The only other thing I see is the wireless card, router or access point
might be an issue, whether there are any restrictions as for traffic type.
I've also seen issues in the past with one of my clients, a Sony wireless
card that wouldn't allow a laptop to logon at all, but once changed to a
Linksys or a 3Com, it worked flawlessly. Some sort of issue with the card
itself. .

To the Peter: I see this is an Intel Pro Wireless, this is the one built
into IBM laptops, is this what you have? I ran a Google search and came up
with a couple links stating to update the drivers for it.

Here's the driver link:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1MIGR-5...

Or it could be something simple as the key not coming across automatically
or a simple setting.. If you strip all security (disable WEP and IPSec/IAS
if using it), including MAC restrictions, does the problem go away?

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2004 3:51:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:o W%23SWSdbEHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
asked for help and I offered my suggestions below:

> To the Peter: I see this is an Intel Pro Wireless, this is the one

Just to clarify, I meant "To Peter". I almost wrote 'To the OP" (original
poster). Sorry for the typo.

Ace
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2004 5:00:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Thanks Chaps, I am trying to crack through some of the things you
suggested.
I am no expert with DNS and I am not sure where to look on the
secondary dns server to tell you if it has a secondary zone for
westpark.local. It is a domain controller.
I have run dcdiag on both servers, the secondary dc throws up the
following error message 'frssysvol, Error No record of file
replication system,Sysvol started. The active directory may be
prevented from starting.'
Run netdiag on both and that passed all tests etc.
The wireless network cards in question are different but seem to have
the same problem. Some are the integrated Intel Pro Wireless, some are
the PCMCIA 3 com office connect 802.11g. The access points are 3 com
8550 and 8500. I have taken off all security on the acces points and
the problem is still there. No encryption etc.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2004 5:08:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

"The other thing i forgot to mention was that when in the DNS console
i right click the servers and launch nslookup, it states that 'cant
find server name for 10.0.44.6. Non existent domain default server :
unknown.
I dont know if this is of great relevance but thought i would mention
it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 20, 2004 12:47:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:c843083e.0407200000.69fbbf7e@posting.google.com,
Peter Loerns <peter.loerns@westpark.derby.sch.uk> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks Chaps, I am trying to crack through some of the
> things you suggested.
> I am no expert with DNS and I am not sure where to look
> on the secondary dns server to tell you if it has a
> secondary zone for westpark.local. It is a domain
> controller.
> I have run dcdiag on both servers, the secondary dc
> throws up the following error message 'frssysvol, Error
> No record of file replication system,Sysvol started. The
> active directory may be prevented from starting.'
> Run netdiag on both and that passed all tests etc.
> The wireless network cards in question are different but
> seem to have the same problem. Some are the integrated
> Intel Pro Wireless, some are the PCMCIA 3 com office
> connect 802.11g. The access points are 3 com 8550 and
> 8500. I have taken off all security on the acces points
> and the problem is still there. No encryption etc.

Post the ipconfig /all on your second DC, apparently it is the one with the
problem. I would suggest that yuou point all machines, including DC #2 to
the IP of DC #1 for DNS until the errors are gone on DC #2.

After you point DC #2 to DC #1 for DNS run netdiag /fix from DC #2 and
restart the Netlogon Service. Run dcdiag /fix then run dcdiag /v and look
for errors.


--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
==========================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
==========================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
==========================================
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 3:59:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:c843083e.0407200008.767b383d@posting.google.com,
Peter Loerns <peter.loerns@westpark.derby.sch.uk> asked for help and I
offered my suggestions below:
> "The other thing i forgot to mention was that when in the DNS console
> i right click the servers and launch nslookup, it states that 'cant
> find server name for 10.0.44.6. Non existent domain default server :
> unknown.
> I dont know if this is of great relevance but thought i would mention
> it.

Nah, nothing to do with it. Just telling you that you don't have a reverse
zone. Looking forward to the results that Kevin asked for.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 6:24:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

The IPConfig is the same as the first DC. It lists itself as the
preferred DNS server and the other DC as the alternative. I have
changed this around so it is now issuing the non-problematic DNS
server as the preferred. Is that correct ??
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 6:32:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I have now run all the dcdiag and netdiag tests. There are no errors
other than the one that I mentioned before. Frssysvol - No record of
file replication system, SYSVOL started. The active directory may be
prevented from starting !!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 10:50:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:c843083e.0407210124.4727fcd@posting.google.com,
Peter Loerns <peter.loerns@westpark.derby.sch.uk> asked for help and I
offered my suggestions below:
> The IPConfig is the same as the first DC. It lists itself as the
> preferred DNS server and the other DC as the alternative. I have
> changed this around so it is now issuing the non-problematic DNS
> server as the preferred. Is that correct ??

So far so good.


--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 21, 2004 10:56:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

In news:c843083e.0407210132.28e1d887@posting.google.com,
Peter Loerns <peter.loerns@westpark.derby.sch.uk> asked for help and I
offered my suggestions below:
> I have now run all the dcdiag and netdiag tests. There are no errors
> other than the one that I mentioned before. Frssysvol - No record of
> file replication system, SYSVOL started. The active directory may be
> prevented from starting !!

Still there? TOo early in the morning to think over here. But if Sysvol is
having problems starting, then it maybe deeper. Try what Kevin said and what
you said with switching the DNS addresses first. If not, here's more info on
the FRS and Sysvol and associated prblems and how to diagnose this. Curious,
did you restore from a backup at anytime or anything significant occur
lately, any changes, etcm etc, as minute as they may appear, they may have a
bearing here.

Read these please:

315457 - How to Rebuild SYSVOL and Its Content in a Domain:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=315457

316790 - The Sysvol and Netlogon Shares Are Missing After You Restore a
Domain Controller from Backup:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316790

272279 - How to Troubleshoot the File Replication Service and the
Distributed File System:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=272279

Download details File Replication Service Diagnostics Tool (FRSDiag.exe):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?display...

Download details Sonar.exe File Replication Service (FRS) Status Viewer:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...



--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
!