Windows 2000 and IE 5.5 Issues?

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
I'm really not sure what this is, but the last time it happened, I eventually totally lost access to be able to use the internet at all on my PC. First off, here are my PC's specs:

-Asus A7V133 ATA100 200/266 MHz fsb mobo
-256 MB PC133 RAM
-1.3 GHz AMD Thunderbird cpu
-40 GB Western Digital 7200 rpm ATA100 HD
-3COM 3C905C 10/100 NIC
-Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 Sound Card
-Visiontek GEFORCE2 GTS 32 MB Video Card
-Mitsumi 48x CD-ROM drive
-Mistumi 3 1/4 floppy drive
-TDK CD-R/W drive
-Windows 2000 Professional

(anything I left out, I'll add later)

Anyways, I always keep my system fully upgraded whenever possible. I am running Win2k SP1 (b/c the first time I lost all internet, I thought it was b/c of SP2. Apparantly not) and all the security updates. What happens is sometimes I am browsing thru web pages (various, not the same one each time) and then I get the "page cannot be displayed" error. I then try to go to other sites. I keep getting the same error. I am still connected to AIM, ICQ, IRC - but if I disconnect I cannot reconnect. I am able to get to eh LAN in the house though, and that is the strange thing. If I log out of my profile and log back in, things are fixed. Same for a reboot. I just recently did a fresh reinstall of the entire computer in hopes of it fixing the problem. Guess that didn't work. Should I install Service Pack 2 and see if that fixes it? I highly doubt it will. The last time this happened I tried pinging server IP's and the names of the servers, like microsoft.com and the IP for my web site. Couldn't ping them but I could ping the server in my house. Any help on this is extremely needed and helpful, as I don't want to have to go thru a reinstall again, even though I have a good image of the computer when it was first finished with the reinstall (and I doubt an image will fix this). BTW, everybody else in my house does not have this problem. They can all get to the internet while this happens to me. None of them are running Windows2000. I would rather not switch back to 98 SE like they have running, as 98 was rather buggy and I got constant blue screens of death. I am on a LAN in the house and get to the internet via a Linksys cable router which is hooked to our cable modem. Hope any of this is able to get me some help. Many thanks!

G

its funny you mention this becuase i have the exact same problem on my windows 2000 server. i lost access to the internet, but not the LAN on my 'administrator' account. Is this the account you have trouble with? if i log in as one of my power users, i can access the internet. i am using sp 2, so i dont think thats the issue. interestingly, i am using a Linksys router and a cable modem as well......i wonder if that has anything to do with it? are you using your router to run DHCP, or a static IP address? DOes the pc you are having the trouble on have a static IP? what kind of security is on your network? do you have a LAN server? if so, what is it running?

ignore everything i say

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
There is a known bug in Linksys DSL / Cable routers that I battled for quite some time. I'm not sure of the specific causes, but I do know that the router will occasionally need to be reset due to certain situations. One of those is if you access a machine on your own network through http. The router will lock for 2-3 minutes unless you unplug it for a few seconds.

The latest firmware updates seem to have fixed this problem. You can download them from the Linksys site for the BEFR41 and BEFR81. Be sure to note your router settings before upgrading because you may lose them.

<A HREF="http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp" target="_new">http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp</A>

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
Well I went to the MS Knowledge Base (awesome to have available) and found the following article:

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q293/4/02.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=q293402&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000" target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q293/4/02.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=q293402&rnk=1&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000</A>

yes thats a long link, but i tried it. hopefully we'll see if i get the problem in the next few days or not. if i do, i'll try to get my father to update the router.

UPDATE: that link i have up there doesn't work for me. The problem just occured today again. I followed its steps again and am installing service pack 2. If all else fails, my dad might have to update the router stuff. If that fails...I give up and will probably have to install crap ass win98. :(
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dinoX on 07/21/01 09:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dinoX

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
well for some reason this problem hasn't happened much lately *knock on wood* but it still happens every once in a while. dunno about the firmware for the cable router...oh well. if anybody else experiences this and fixes it, drop me a line.