DNS newbie help

Here is the situation. A client need to be able to view its own website.

1) The domain name is "wmpj.com"
2) The _externally_ hosted website is also "wmpj.com"
3) Because they have the same name we cannot view the company website from
the network because DNS points to the internal server instead of the
external web server.
4) The ISP is different from the web host.

I assume this is DNS confusion.

I have been told by 2 others that I can do a www record in DNS to resolve
this but am not sure what to put in.

If I create an alias/CNAME record it will not let me put in www.wmpj.com OR
the IP address of the website as a destination.

I think I am on the right track but just need some guidance on this. I
didn't setup this network and would not have done it this way.

_____________________________

Shelby Meyer
Meyer Computer Consulting
MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+, iNET+ and CIW Certified
http://meyercomputer.net

In news:edtm6vxaEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Shelby Meyer (MCSA, A+, N+ iN+, CIW) <smeyer@meyercomputer.net> asked for
help and I offered my suggestions below:
> Here is the situation. A client need to be able to view its own
> website.
>
> 1) The domain name is "wmpj.com"
> 2) The _externally_ hosted website is also "wmpj.com"
> 3) Because they have the same name we cannot view the company website
> from the network because DNS points to the internal server instead of
> the external web server.
> 4) The ISP is different from the web host.
>
> I assume this is DNS confusion.
>
> I have been told by 2 others that I can do a www record in DNS to
> resolve this but am not sure what to put in.

Rt-click your wmpj.com zone name, select new Host, type in www for the name,
and provide the actual external IP address for the webserver.

If there are mutliple IPs for the externa webserver, then we'll need to
create a delegation. Rt-click the wmpj.com zone name, select New Delegation,
type in www, and provide the actual name servers listed with the registrar
for your domain name. This way it will always query the nameserver directly
for you.

If your not sure how to determine the actual external IP, it's
65.254.46.111.
Look here:
QUESTION SECTION:

www.wmpj.com. IN A

ANSWER SECTION:

www.wmpj.com. 14242 IN CNAME wmpj.com.

wmpj.com. 14226 IN A 65.254.46.111

> If I create an alias/CNAME record it will not let me put in
> www.wmpj.com OR the IP address of the website as a destination.
>
> I think I am on the right track but just need some guidance on this. I
> didn't setup this network and would not have done it this way.

You're on the right track, just

_____________________________

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

I got it to work. Thanks!.

In my position don't deal with DNS that often so this had me stumped.

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:O3tjoh0aEHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

In news:uhoqHr1aEHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Shelby Meyer (MCSA, A+, N+ iN+, CIW) <smeyer@meyercomputer.net> asked for
help and I offered my suggestions below:
> I got it to work. Thanks!.
>
> In my position don't deal with DNS that often so this had me stumped.

Glad you got it to work!
If you have any more questions, please do post them.

--

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-split-horizon-common-server-names.html>