Formatting Problems

October 16, 2004 2:11:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I need the help of you fine professionals. I know you have the answer
because you haven't let me down yet with your answers. God-Complex maybe?
Anyway I am trying to install a couple of operating systems on a computer
333 Celeron and 110 GB HDD.
It will not see hard drive even though I put XP pro on from a different
computer. I also wanted to put server 2003 in a 5GB partition.
It will not recognize the hard drive. I tried different hard drives and
tried installing different OS but they do not work. They format and I can
make a partition [or 10 partitions whatever] and it installs the files but
then it reboots and will not see OS disk says non bootable disk in drive or
it will start over and want to install over again.
Any ideas please
fast help needed for school project
Thanks Bruce

More about : formatting problems

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 2:11:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Try going to run,type:D iskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click on the hd,go to
actions,all,set to make active.

"Bruce Lawrence" wrote:

> I need the help of you fine professionals. I know you have the answer
> because you haven't let me down yet with your answers. God-Complex maybe?
> Anyway I am trying to install a couple of operating systems on a computer
> 333 Celeron and 110 GB HDD.
> It will not see hard drive even though I put XP pro on from a different
> computer. I also wanted to put server 2003 in a 5GB partition.
> It will not recognize the hard drive. I tried different hard drives and
> tried installing different OS but they do not work. They format and I can
> make a partition [or 10 partitions whatever] and it installs the files but
> then it reboots and will not see OS disk says non bootable disk in drive or
> it will start over and want to install over again.
> Any ideas please
> fast help needed for school project
> Thanks Bruce

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 2:23:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

How do I do that when I cannot get to an OS
Bruce
> Try going to run,type:D iskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click on the hd,go to
> actions,all,set to make active.
>
> "Bruce Lawrence" wrote:
>
>> I need the help of you fine professionals. I know you have the answer
>> because you haven't let me down yet with your answers. God-Complex maybe?
>> Anyway I am trying to install a couple of operating systems on a computer
>> 333 Celeron and 110 GB HDD.
>> It will not see hard drive even though I put XP pro on from a different
>> computer. I also wanted to put server 2003 in a 5GB partition.
>> It will not recognize the hard drive. I tried different hard drives and
>> tried installing different OS but they do not work. They format and I can
>> make a partition [or 10 partitions whatever] and it installs the files
>> but
>> then it reboots and will not see OS disk says non bootable disk in drive
>> or
>> it will start over and want to install over again.
>> Any ideas please
>> fast help needed for school project
>> Thanks Bruce

Related resources
October 16, 2004 9:43:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

With you PC being a Celeron 333 are you sure your motherboard can accept the
110GB hard drive???

"Bruce Lawrence" <blawrence@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> How do I do that when I cannot get to an OS
> Bruce
> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Try going to run,type:D iskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click on the hd,go to
>> actions,all,set to make active.
>>
>> "Bruce Lawrence" wrote:
>>
>>> I need the help of you fine professionals. I know you have the answer
>>> because you haven't let me down yet with your answers. God-Complex
>>> maybe?
>>> Anyway I am trying to install a couple of operating systems on a
>>> computer
>>> 333 Celeron and 110 GB HDD.
>>> It will not see hard drive even though I put XP pro on from a different
>>> computer. I also wanted to put server 2003 in a 5GB partition.
>>> It will not recognize the hard drive. I tried different hard drives and
>>> tried installing different OS but they do not work. They format and I
>>> can
>>> make a partition [or 10 partitions whatever] and it installs the files
>>> but
>>> then it reboots and will not see OS disk says non bootable disk in drive
>>> or
>>> it will start over and want to install over again.
>>> Any ideas please
>>> fast help needed for school project
>>> Thanks Bruce

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 10:16:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Your first partition must be equal to or less than the max partition size
that your bios can handle.

Your bios should recognize a drive up to 128 GB but may only allow an 8, 16,
or 32 GB partition size. If the MOBO is really old it may be limited to 2
GB.

The trick to make the bios recognize a large drive is to set it to use LBA
on auto and the bios doesn't get involved in the drive dynamics as windows
does the formatting and read /writes. However, if you created it on another
computer that could indeed recognize the drive's dynamic as something other
than the LBA's standard of 16 heads, 65,xxx cyls, etc, then the 333's mobo
is looking at it and saying What the heck?

If your 333'S mobo does not have LBA or auto (that works ) then you need to
specify USER drive type and set the heads. cyls, tracks to the actual LBA
defaults, but if your drive is something different from the other computer
this will not work either.

Think of the disk drive as a denture from the dentist.
It can be used in any mouth but once pressed and shaped, it will fit only
certain mouths, and once wore ... yuck, get away from me with that. .. You
mobo reacts the same.

I may get some feed back. :)  Watch this space. lol

SJ

!