Can't find server name

When i use nslookup, it will prompt me that it can't find server name
for address 192.168.0.1: non -existent domain. I have created a
reverse zone but still won't works.

Rgds
Daniel
18 answers Last reply
More about find server name

    In news:6a6a9040.0407172203.2ade7ec8@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > When i use nslookup, it will prompt me that it can't find
    > server name for address 192.168.0.1: non -existent
    > domain. I have created a reverse zone but still won't
    > works.

    Is there a PTR for this IP in the zone?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin
    I created reverse zone and new ptr pointer. But not sure its setting are correct ?

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<OcJKLjNbEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407172203.2ade7ec8@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > When i use nslookup, it will prompt me that it can't find
    > > server name for address 192.168.0.1: non -existent
    > > domain. I have created a reverse zone but still won't
    > > works.
    >
    > Is there a PTR for this IP in the zone?
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ============================
    > --
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    > issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    > email. ==========================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    > OEBackup:

    In news:6a6a9040.0407181848.a61bf05@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Kevin
    > I created reverse zone and new ptr pointer. But not sure its setting
    > are correct ?
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    Daniel, are you using ICS or NAT (that's configured thru RAS)?

    Curious Daniel, what is the IP address of your DNS machine that you created
    the reverse zone on?

    If using ICS, ICS 'proxies' the DNS requests thru itself to the ISP, hence
    why 192.168.0.1 IP shows up, unless of course you are using NAT and DNS is
    installed on this machine.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    DT> When i use nslookup, it will prompt me that it can't find
    DT> server name for address 192.168.0.1: non -existent domain.

    <URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/nslookup-daft-error-message.html>

    Ace, nice to hear from you again. Do you mean PTR record ? if in PTR i
    didn't see any ip address that i need to put in. i just put in host
    name which is my dns name server FQDN and for host ip number i put in
    my machine name ? is that correct ? I have dns setup on this machine.

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ezZHP5TbEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407181848.a61bf05@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    > suggestions below:
    > > Kevin
    > > I created reverse zone and new ptr pointer. But not sure its setting
    > > are correct ?
    > >
    > > Rgds
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > Daniel, are you using ICS or NAT (that's configured thru RAS)?
    >
    > Curious Daniel, what is the IP address of your DNS machine that you created
    > the reverse zone on?
    >
    > If using ICS, ICS 'proxies' the DNS requests thru itself to the ISP, hence
    > why 192.168.0.1 IP shows up, unless of course you are using NAT and DNS is
    > installed on this machine.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407181848.a61bf05@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Kevin
    > I created reverse zone and new ptr pointer. But not sure
    > its setting are correct ?

    What is the name of your reverse lookup zone?

    It should be name 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa (Advanced view) or 192.168.0.x
    Subnet (Depending on it you have Advanced view turned on or not)

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email. ==========================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407190818.2cf6a831@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Ace, nice to hear from you again. Do you mean PTR record ? if in PTR i
    > didn't see any ip address that i need to put in. i just put in host
    > name which is my dns name server FQDN and for host ip number i put in
    > my machine name ? is that correct ? I have dns setup on this machine.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    Hi Daniel,

    Please, please please please tell me please, is it ICS or NAT?

    If you are not sure if you have NAT or ICS, if you can please please please
    tell me how you setup it up (your ICS or NAT) that would be helpful,
    please!!!! This way I know exactly what you have. In the other thread in the
    other newsgroup, we never did determine exactly what you have setup. So
    please please tell me!!!!

    For a PTR, just as Kevin said, the zone should be created as:
    192.168.0.x (what it looks like in normal view).

    Here's what Kevin posted, please do answer his questions and my questions.
    It will greatly help us to help you if we all know exactly how you have it
    created. -THANKS!!!!!
    ===========================
    What is the name of your reverse lookup zone?

    It should be name 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa (Advanced view) or 192.168.0.x
    Subnet (Depending on it you have Advanced view turned on or not).
    ===========================

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Ace, its a NAT. Also have setup dns. Sorry for keeping u waiting so
    long. The reverse zone is 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa . In the zone i
    created a ptr record where the host name is the dns name server name.
    Thanks

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#lySnVdbEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407190818.2cf6a831@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    > suggestions below:
    > > Ace, nice to hear from you again. Do you mean PTR record ? if in PTR i
    > > didn't see any ip address that i need to put in. i just put in host
    > > name which is my dns name server FQDN and for host ip number i put in
    > > my machine name ? is that correct ? I have dns setup on this machine.
    > >
    > > Rgds
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > Hi Daniel,
    >
    > Please, please please please tell me please, is it ICS or NAT?
    >
    > If you are not sure if you have NAT or ICS, if you can please please please
    > tell me how you setup it up (your ICS or NAT) that would be helpful,
    > please!!!! This way I know exactly what you have. In the other thread in the
    > other newsgroup, we never did determine exactly what you have setup. So
    > please please tell me!!!!
    >
    > For a PTR, just as Kevin said, the zone should be created as:
    > 192.168.0.x (what it looks like in normal view).
    >
    > Here's what Kevin posted, please do answer his questions and my questions.
    > It will greatly help us to help you if we all know exactly how you have it
    > created. -THANKS!!!!!
    > ===========================
    > What is the name of your reverse lookup zone?
    >
    > It should be name 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa (Advanced view) or 192.168.0.x
    > Subnet (Depending on it you have Advanced view turned on or not).
    > ===========================
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Yes the name is correct Kevin.

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message news:<#0N1anbbEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407181848.a61bf05@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> posted a question
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Kevin
    > > I created reverse zone and new ptr pointer. But not sure
    > > its setting are correct ?
    >
    > What is the name of your reverse lookup zone?
    >
    > It should be name 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa (Advanced view) or 192.168.0.x
    > Subnet (Depending on it you have Advanced view turned on or not)
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ============================
    > --
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    > issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    > email. ==========================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    > OEBackup:
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407200834.15a5e7e7@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Ace, its a NAT. Also have setup dns. Sorry for keeping u waiting so
    > long. The reverse zone is 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa . In the zone i
    > created a ptr record where the host name is the dns name server name.
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    Daniel, run the command again and post it here please.

    Also, please post an ipconfig /all so we can take a look at your
    configuration please.

    Looking forward to your results and post.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Nslookup:
    Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.2:Non-existent domain
    Default server : localhost
    Address : 127.0.0.1

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mp419b
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet
    Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-21-EB-0F-BC
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet
    Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-21-ED-06-22
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    192.168.1.2
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

    PPP adapter ZTE ADSL:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    202.188.1.5

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<uqC#OdtbEHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407200834.15a5e7e7@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    > suggestions below:
    > > Ace, its a NAT. Also have setup dns. Sorry for keeping u waiting so
    > > long. The reverse zone is 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa . In the zone i
    > > created a ptr record where the host name is the dns name server name.
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Rgds
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > Daniel, run the command again and post it here please.
    >
    > Also, please post an ipconfig /all so we can take a look at your
    > configuration please.
    >
    > Looking forward to your results and post.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Thank you for posting the information.
    Couple problems. See below where I noted the problems and possible fixes.

    In news:6a6a9040.0407220645.70a3cee4@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Nslookup:
    > Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.2:Non-existent domain
    > Default server : localhost
    > Address : 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Windows 2000 IP Configuration
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mp419b
    > Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :

    Your Primary DNS Suffix is missing Daniel. Is this machine a domain
    controller? If it is, this condition is called a Disjointed Namespace and
    this will cause major issues. If it is a domain controller, please see this
    article on how to create a script to immediately fix this problem:

    257623 - Domain COntroller's Domain Name Suffix Does Not Match Domain Name
    [including script to fix it]:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;257623

    more below...

    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    >

    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet
    > Adapter #2
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-21-EB-0F-BC
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    > Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    >

    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet
    > Adapter
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-21-ED-06-22
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    > 192.168.1.2

    Remove the 127.0.0.1 address above. The ONLY address should show is
    192.168.1.2. This is WHY you are getting domain not found in nslookup.

    > Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    >

    > PPP adapter ZTE ADSL:
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    > 202.188.1.5

    Curious, why do you have two NICs in this machine if you have a DSL line ?
    If you have the software installed for PPPoE, then you do not need two NICs
    to setup NAT. The PPPoE connection (the one above) is the "outside"
    connection.

    Daniel, I would suggest to purchase a $39.00 (US currency) Linksys DSL/Cable
    Router and connect that to the DSL modem. You can configure the router to
    establish the PPPoE connection. This way you can remove the extra NIC from
    your machine and your machine will not have to NAT for you because the
    Linksys router will perform this function. It is the EASIEST way to do this.

    Many many administrators use this method. It is very very affordable and
    doing this will lessen the load on your Windows machine and let the WIndows
    machine do what it knows best, be a domain controller or a server. It is
    also much more secure to use the Linksys router since it will protect your
    Windows machine.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Ace, yes the error is solved when i removed the 127.0.0.1 . So when i
    use nslookup , the respond is only default server : localhost ,
    Address :127.0.0.1 correct ? I have 2 nics as i want to use NAT
    in win2000. Can software for PPPoE do NAT ? Well my adsl modem can't
    be configured as nat because it is being prohibited by my isp. So i
    either use 2 nics to do nat or buy a router.

    Rgds
    Daniel

    e Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<OrH#fpEcEHA.3824@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> [...]
    > your machine and your machine will not have to NAT for you because the
    > Linksys router will perform this function. It is the EASIEST way to do this.
    >
    > Many many administrators use this method. It is very very affordable and
    > doing this will lessen the load on your Windows machine and let the WIndows
    > machine do what it knows best, be a domain controller or a server. It is
    > also much more secure to use the Linksys router since it will protect your
    > Windows machine.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407250713.7b2999ba@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Ace, yes the error is solved when i removed the 127.0.0.1 . So when i
    > use nslookup , the respond is only default server : localhost ,
    > Address :127.0.0.1 correct ? I have 2 nics as i want to use NAT
    > in win2000. Can software for PPPoE do NAT ? Well my adsl modem can't
    > be configured as nat because it is being prohibited by my isp. So i
    > either use 2 nics to do nat or buy a router.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    The loopback probably got in there when you installed AD on the machine.

    I HIGHLY Suggest to buy a router and remove the PPPoE software off the
    machine. Its TOO much overhead. A USD $39.00 Linksys router will handle ADSL
    perfectly and take care of NAT for you instead of the price of a machine,
    Windows operatiing system and two NICs to do it. A router is much more
    secure than having a Windows box exposed on the Internet.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Ace thanks for your suggestion. In NT 4 DNS how come when i do
    nslookup there is no default server name ? i have setup its forward
    zone.

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#ael9HqcEHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407250713.7b2999ba@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    > suggestions below:
    > > Ace, yes the error is solved when i removed the 127.0.0.1 . So when i
    > > use nslookup , the respond is only default server : localhost ,
    > > Address :127.0.0.1 correct ? I have 2 nics as i want to use NAT
    > > in win2000. Can software for PPPoE do NAT ? Well my adsl modem can't
    > > be configured as nat because it is being prohibited by my isp. So i
    > > either use 2 nics to do nat or buy a router.
    > >
    > > Rgds
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > The loopback probably got in there when you installed AD on the machine.
    >
    > I HIGHLY Suggest to buy a router and remove the PPPoE software off the
    > machine. Its TOO much overhead. A USD $39.00 Linksys router will handle ADSL
    > perfectly and take care of NAT for you instead of the price of a machine,
    > Windows operatiing system and two NICs to do it. A router is much more
    > secure than having a Windows box exposed on the Internet.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407260818.6a34d016@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Ace thanks for your suggestion. In NT 4 DNS how come when i do
    > nslookup there is no default server name ? i have setup its forward
    > zone.
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    NT4? Show me your output please.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Ace the respond is like below. A simple one but can't figure it out in nt4.
    c:\nslookup
    default server :
    address : 192.168.0.140

    Rgds
    Daniel

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<up7psS4cEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
    > In news:6a6a9040.0407260818.6a34d016@posting.google.com,
    > Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    > suggestions below:
    > > Ace thanks for your suggestion. In NT 4 DNS how come when i do
    > > nslookup there is no default server name ? i have setup its forward
    > > zone.
    > >
    > > Rgds
    > > Daniel
    > >

    > NT4? Show me your output please.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace

    > so all can benefit.

    > and confers no rights.

    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
    >
    > Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
    > A lifetime commitment for a pig.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:6a6a9040.0407270703.74b7ad43@posting.google.com,
    Daniel Tan <danieltan@time.net.my> asked for help and I offered my
    suggestions below:
    > Ace the respond is like below. A simple one but can't figure it out
    > in nt4.
    > c:\nslookup
    > default server :
    > address : 192.168.0.140
    >
    > Rgds
    > Daniel

    If I remember correctly, NT4 doesn't report the name.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.