primary/secondary server names

I have a server with 2 IP addresses and want to point a domain to the
server.

I have created 2 host A records within the zone myexample.com:

1. ns1.myexample.com
2. ns2.myexample.com

with appropriate details in the nameserver tabs (within properties)

and created ptr records in the Reverse Lookup

but I'm guessing this is wrong as the domain isn't being found.

How do I set up Primary and Secondary name servers?

stephen

In news:AhWKc.56778$v7.4767@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
stephen hall <shsc21441@blueyonder.co.uk> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> I have a server with 2 IP addresses and want to point a domain to the
> server.

You mean you want to use this server as a nameserver for a public domain?

> I have created 2 host A records within the zone myexample.com:
>
> 1. ns1.myexample.com
> 2. ns2.myexample.com
>
> with appropriate details in the nameserver tabs (within properties)

Did you register this servers two names and IPs with a registrar? That is
the first important step.

> and created ptr records in the Reverse Lookup

You can create reverse zones all day long, but if it's for use for people on
the INternet to do a reverse lookup for your IP, then the reverse zone needs
to be delegated from the ISP's DNS to your DNS, since they own the IP block.
If this is your intention, you need to contact them on how to go about doing
it.

I assume the IPs you are talking about are actually public IP addresses?

> but I'm guessing this is wrong as the domain isn't being found.

What exact message are you actually getting and from what utility?
Is it nslookup?
If so, for that to work, you need to only point to your DNS in your IP
properties, so when nslookup initializes, it looks at the first entry, then
takes that IP and looks in your reverse zone for the name. That's all its
doing. Its not an error, just says the PTR for that IP doesn't exist.

> How do I set up Primary and Secondary name servers?

Do you mean Primary zones and a Secondary zone? Easy, create a Primary zone
on one of the machines, then go to the other machine and create the same
zone name, but make it a secondary and give it the first machine's IP
address as the Master IP.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Yes

"Ace Fekay [MVP]"
<PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:#RTr2edbEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

In news:fBgLc.15722$y04.11746@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
stephen hall <shsc21441@blueyonder.co.uk> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Yes

Yes to what? Did you read thru the post? I gave you alot of information.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

I Did you register this servers two names and IPs with a registrar? That is
the first important step.

Not sure what you mean by this. We may have crossed lines.

My web server is allocated 2 IP Addresses and I already have sites on the
server.

The Registrar where the Domain is registered, require me to enter a Primary
ans Secondary Server Name (ie ns1.mycomp.com/ns2.mycomp.com)

You mean you want to use this server as a nameserver for a public domain?

I want the website visible. When someone enters www.mycomp.com, I want it to
go to the Registrar, identify the Primary and Secondary and go to my server
where the dns will identify the site.

have a look at www.keeponrollin/dsn/untitled.htm to get an example of how
I've set it up in the dns zone.
Thnx

In news:u%yLc.91624$q8.39357@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
stephen hall <shsc21441@blueyonder.co.uk> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> I Did you register this servers two names and IPs with a registrar?
> That is the first important step.
>
> Not sure what you mean by this. We may have crossed lines.
>
> My web server is allocated 2 IP Addresses and I already have sites on
> the server.
>
> The Registrar where the Domain is registered, require me to enter a
> Primary ans Secondary Server Name (ie ns1.mycomp.com/ns2.mycomp.com)
>
> You mean you want to use this server as a nameserver for a public
> domain?
>
> I want the website visible. When someone enters www.mycomp.com, I
> want it to go to the Registrar, identify the Primary and Secondary
> and go to my server where the dns will identify the site.
>
> have a look at www.keeponrollin/dsn/untitled.htm to get an example
> of how I've set it up in the dns zone.
> Thnx

Ok, thanks for responding! :)

I apologize, and do want to help, but with the info you provided, I'm still
guessing at this point.

I'm *assumiung* that if you already set it all up, and registered with the
registrar, then it should work. Keep in mind propogation time if you just
set this up with the registrar yesterday.

Now your original question about the domain not being found bids me to ask
exactly what is not being found?

If you are allowing ICMP:
Can you ping your webserver's IP?
Can you ping your website by name?

If yes to the above two, and you are not able to access the website itself
in a browser, I'm guessing that then it comes down to an IIS issue and/or
firewall issue.

If this is the case, do you have a firewall and/or ISA or Proxy server? Is
the webserver behind a NAT and the NAT is port remapping 80 or publishing
within ISA to an internal webserver on your private network? Or does it have
a public IP?

Or is the question about a reverse entry?

If not, I apologize since I am assuming based on what's given. If this is
all off base, please let me know your config to give you a more precise
answer. From what you showed me at www.keeponrollin.com/dsn/untitled.htm ,
it *seems* that they are setup correctly from where I can see, but I can't
see much other than that and am guessing (as you can see) and the only real
thing I can determine is that one of your DNS server names is "Server Name"
(probably munged) and it has a public IP of 114.16.12.something. This shows
me that the DNS servers are on public IPs but not sure about your webserver
and the rest of your config or exactly what is not being found.

I'm guessing and need more specific info. Your domain name in question would
be helpful for starters so I can see what's happening from this end.
Anything else you can provide would eliminate guessing as well.

Thanks

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Hi
no need to apologise, you are being v. helpful.

First thing is the domain is www.scottishbusiness.org

The domain has been going through a transfer process (which was taking
longer than expected) so that certainly might be affecting.

Can you check here over the next 24-72 hrs?

I will go through your suggestions and post a note as to whether successful
or not, once I know the propagation is complete.

many thnx
stephen

In news:6QRLc.49946$y04.48725@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
stephen hall <shsc21441@blueyonder.co.uk> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Hi
> no need to apologise, you are being v. helpful.
>
> First thing is the domain is www.scottishbusiness.org
>
> The domain has been going through a transfer process (which was taking
> longer than expected) so that certainly might be affecting.
>
> Can you check here over the next 24-72 hrs?
>
> I will go through your suggestions and post a note as to whether
> successful or not, once I know the propagation is complete.
>
> many thnx
> stephen

Ok, thanks for posting that Stephen. Here's my results:

Website is not accessible.
I cannot ping nor does www.scottishbusiness.org resolve to an IP.

Netsol lookup and an nslookup lookup both shows that your nameservers are
registered, but there are no associated IP addresses for your name servers.
Did you leave them out when you registered? Both nameservers do return a
ping for me but the problem is they both come back to the same IP address,
209.25.160.120. Something is misconfigured with your domain name. Is that
the correct IP for one of them, or is it way off?

> set type=all
> scottishbusiness.org
Server: vnsc-bak.sys.gtei.net
Address: 4.2.2.2

Non-authoritative answer:
scottishbusiness.org
primary name server = smwin2003
responsible mail addr = hostmaster
serial = 9
refresh = 900 (15 mins)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)
default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)
scottishbusiness.org nameserver = ns1.scottishbusiness.org
scottishbusiness.org nameserver = ns2.scottishbusiness.org
scottishbusiness.org nameserver = smwin2003

C:\>ping ns1.scottishbusiness.org

Pinging ns1.scottishbusiness.org [209.25.160.120] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 209.25.160.120:

C:\>
C:\>ping ns2.scottishbusiness.org

Pinging ns2.scottishbusiness.org [209.25.160.120] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 209.25.160.120:
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

That is the correct IP though ns2 is configured in the server dns to
209.25.160.121

With the company I registered the domain name
When I allocate the nameservers in the management control that is available,
there is no option for IP addresses. You just enter the Primary/Secondary
NameServer.

(I have copied exactly what is on the company's website below).

On the server, within the zone for "scottishbusiness.org" I set up the ns1
and ns2 allocating a Host A record for each and (within the Properties)
added the IP for each in the Nameserver Tab. It is effectively a subdomain.

**********************
The e Domain Name Server (DNS) controls which ISP or web hosting company is
designated as the Primary and Secondary name server. This allows them to
control where your domain will point to. If you are unsure about what DNS
settings to add please contact your ISP or web hosting company.

Priority Name
Primary ns1.scottishbusiness.org
Secondary ns2.scottishbusiness.org

*********************************

message news:eBT5lvEcEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

In news:NDuMc.84259$y04.46439@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk,
stephen hall <shsc21441@blueyonder.co.uk> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> That is the correct IP though ns2 is configured in the server dns to
> 209.25.160.121
>
> With the company I registered the domain name
> When I allocate the nameservers in the management control that is
> available, there is no option for IP addresses. You just enter the
> Primary/Secondary NameServer.

Interesting. When I created my records thru Network Solutions, they wanted a
name and an IP. Its funny, so from what you're saying, the egg has to come
before the chicken? How would it know the IP of them if it can't use DNS to
resolve the name?

Give them a call and explain what's happening please.

<snip>