installing software to a server

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,uk.education.schools-it (More info?)

Hi

I am trying to write a 'friendly setup program for some software I have
written. Can anyone answer this question for me: When you install software
to a server do you run the setup program on the server or can you do it from
another terminal?

Many thanks

Dave wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to write a 'friendly setup program for some software I have
> written. Can anyone answer this question for me: When you install software
> to a server do you run the setup program on the server or can you do it
> from another terminal?

What OS?

> Many thanks

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Dave <DaveInes99@fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi

> I am trying to write a 'friendly setup program for some software I have
> written. Can anyone answer this question for me: When you install software
> to a server do you run the setup program on the server or can you do it from
> another terminal?

In my experience any terminal would do, this is what i have done since
1980 starting with RSX, continuing with VMS and UNIX.

What silly operating system enforces usage of a direct-attatched console ??

> Many thanks

Peter Håkanson

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I was thinking of windows based servers.

If software can be installed via a client pc on the network, do any registry
changes take place on the client machine or the server where the software is
being installed?

Thanks again

Dave wrote:

> I was thinking of windows based servers.
>
> If software can be installed via a client pc on the network, do any
> registry changes take place on the client machine or the server where the
> software is being installed?

Installing from a client PC using Terminal Services installation goes just
like you were sitting at the console. Installing from a client without
using Terminal Services you're pretty much on your own--in theory it can be
done, in practice I don't know of anybody who bothers--you get into remote
registry editing and that sort of thing and there are no canned tools to
support it.

"Dave" <DaveInes99@fsnet.co.uk> wrote in

> If software can be installed via a client pc on the network, do any
> registry changes take place on the client machine or the server where
> the software is being installed?

You can via Terminal Services or a similar remote control program like
PCAnywhere.

Windows System Management Server or similar product may also work.

Otherwise you're on your own : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)