setting up and configuring dns server on my windows 2000 box

Hello,

I have installed dns services and I have had no luck
configuring the server. I can access the domains that I
am hosting on the same machine via ip adddress but not via
domain name. I currently have a win2k server and 3
workstations. The way that I have things setup is that I
have my cable modem plugged in to the uplink of my switch
and then I have my router plugged in to the switch as well
as a secondary nic for the internal lan on my win2k
machine which I am using as a print server. Given all
that, I just cannot seem to get things to resolve
correctly. All of the domains are pointing to
ns1.globeqc.com and ns2.globeqc.com I am not sure how
mangeld my current configuration is bu i would really
appreciate any kind of help at this point. Note, I am
hosting 3 websits on this windows 2000 server. Please
help... Thank you

Best regards,

Kevin J. Cantin
kcantin@veionline.com
5 answers Last reply
More about setting configuring server windows 2000

    Kevin,

    I know your description makes sense coming from you, but because we are so
    far away from you, it's a bit hard for us to follow the "DNS" part. Why
    don't we start with a brief description of your DNS configuration. The Name
    of the Server the DNS is installed on, the name of your domain, ipconfig
    /all from the DNS server AND a client. Then let's progress to describing
    what you want to do with DNS.

    You say you host 3 Domains, and "All of the domains are pointing to
    ns1.globeqc.com and ns2.globeqc.com". What is the relationship between
    "ns1.globeqc.com/ ns2.globeqc.com" and YOUR internal domain (i.e. the domain
    where the DNS server is physically joined to).

    We may then need to progress up to you DSL/Switch configuration part, but
    let's start easy first.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
    www.akomolafe.com
    Yesterday? -anon

    "Kevin Cantin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have installed dns services and I have had no luck
    > configuring the server. I can access the domains that I
    > am hosting on the same machine via ip adddress but not via
    > domain name. I currently have a win2k server and 3
    > workstations. The way that I have things setup is that I
    > have my cable modem plugged in to the uplink of my switch
    > and then I have my router plugged in to the switch as well
    > as a secondary nic for the internal lan on my win2k
    > machine which I am using as a print server. Given all
    > that, I just cannot seem to get things to resolve
    > correctly. All of the domains are pointing to
    > ns1.globeqc.com and ns2.globeqc.com I am not sure how
    > mangeld my current configuration is bu i would really
    > appreciate any kind of help at this point. Note, I am
    > hosting 3 websits on this windows 2000 server. Please
    > help... Thank you
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Kevin J. Cantin
    > kcantin@veionline.com

    Hello Dèjì Akómöláfé,

    First off I want to thank you for your reply. I certainly
    hope that you will be able to help me resolve this
    frustrating situation. I will do my best t oanswer your
    questions accuratley. Answers are posted below your
    questions to make for easier reading.

    [Kevin>>]The FULL COMPUTER NAME is listed
    as "ns1.globeqc.com"

    the name of your domain,

    [Kevin>>] Under NETWORK IDENTIFICATION the computer is a
    MEMBER OF: "WORKGROUP" not "DOMAIN". The registered
    domain on the internet that I registered through
    godaddy.com is "GLOBEQC.COM". I hope this helps.

    ipconfig
    >/all from the DNS server

    [Kevin>>] C:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ns1
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : globeqc.com
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : globeqc.com

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL
    PCI Fast
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-28-2D-
    28
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-
    based PCI E
    er (10/100)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-B7-B7-0F-
    FD
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    63.172.3.236

    AND a client.

    [Kevin>>] C:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : eagle3
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL
    PCI Fast Ethernet Ada
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-80-AD-0C-B3-
    28
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    63.172.3.236
    24.223.0.5
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July
    19, 2004 10:47:48 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July
    20, 2004 10:47:48 PM

    Then let's progress to describing
    >what you want to do with DNS.
    >
    >You say you host 3 Domains, and "All of the domains are
    pointing to
    >ns1.globeqc.com and ns2.globeqc.com". What is the
    relationship between
    >"ns1.globeqc.com/ ns2.globeqc.com" and YOUR internal
    domain (i.e. the domain
    >where the DNS server is physically joined to).

    [Kevin>>] Ok, I will do my very best to answer these
    questions accuratley. That is correct that all 3 domains
    point to "ns1.globeqc.com"/ "ns2.globeqc.com". The
    relationship between "ns1.globeqc.com"/ "ns2.globeqc.com"
    and MY internal domain where t he dns server is joined to
    is NULL. Honestly, I am just confused about whether I
    need to set up the windows 2000 server as a member of
    a "workgroup" or a "domain". Currently, it is setup as
    a "workgroup" and again the full computer name
    is "ns1.globeqc.com". Is this the first item that must
    change?

    >We may then need to progress up to you DSL/Switch
    configuration part, but
    >let's start easy first.

    [Kevin>>] Ok, I hope my answers make sense I am anxiously
    awaiting your response. One last note, I did setup "DNS
    SERVICES" so I do have "DNS" listed in the control panel
    under "Administrative Tools". I have also attempted to
    configure the dns server but, I am not sure if it is
    configured correctly. Thanks for all the help so far...

    Best regards,

    Kevin J. Cantin (Who prays taht this issue gets resolved
    today)

    kcantin@veionline.com
    989-836-0832

    >--
    >Sincerely,
    >
    >Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    >Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
    >www.akomolafe.com
    >Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were
    worried about

    wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have installed dns services and I have had no luck
    >> configuring the server. I can access the domains that I
    >> am hosting on the same machine via ip adddress but not
    via
    >> domain name. I currently have a win2k server and 3
    >> workstations. The way that I have things setup is that
    >> have my cable modem plugged in to the uplink of my
    switch
    >> and then I have my router plugged in to the switch as
    well
    >> as a secondary nic for the internal lan on my win2k
    >> machine which I am using as a print server. Given all
    >> that, I just cannot seem to get things to resolve
    >> correctly. All of the domains are pointing to
    >> ns1.globeqc.com and ns2.globeqc.com I am not sure how
    >> mangeld my current configuration is bu i would really
    >> appreciate any kind of help at this point. Note, I am
    >> hosting 3 websits on this windows 2000 server. Please
    >> help... Thank you
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >>
    >> Kevin J. Cantin
    >> kcantin@veionline.com
    >>

    >.

    In news:03f201c46e08$f00f3a20$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    Kevin Cantin <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have installed dns services and I have had no luck
    > configuring the server. I can access the domains that I
    > am hosting on the same machine via ip adddress but not via
    > domain name. I currently have a win2k server and 3
    > workstations. The way that I have things setup is that I
    > have my cable modem plugged in to the uplink of my switch
    > and then I have my router plugged in to the switch as well
    > as a secondary nic for the internal lan on my win2k
    > machine which I am using as a print server. Given all
    > that, I just cannot seem to get things to resolve
    > correctly. All of the domains are pointing to
    > ns1.globeqc.com and ns2.globeqc.com I am not sure how
    > mangeld my current configuration is bu i would really
    > appreciate any kind of help at this point. Note, I am
    > hosting 3 websits on this windows 2000 server. Please
    > help... Thank you
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Kevin J. Cantin
    > kcantin@veionline.com

    First you need to fix globeqc.com on ns1.globeqc.com, it answers lame so
    apparently it has no zone, ns2.globeqc.com does not respond at all for any
    queries. You need this zone set up properly so you have glue for your
    nameservers, make sure there are no records with private IPs in any of your
    public zones.
    http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=globeqc.com

    I am able to query the DNS ns1.globeqc.com but it does not have a zone for
    globeqc.com and queries the root for it:
    opcode: Query, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 42
    flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

    QUESTION SECTION:
    globqc.com. IN ANY

    AUTHORITY SECTION:
    com. 172800 IN SOA a.gtld-servers.net.
    nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1090255558 1800 900 604800 900

    As for as making this into a domain controller, I wouldn't suggest that,
    especially this machine, or the machine NS2.
    You can make them members of a domain if you want to set up another machine
    as a domain controller so you can have a centralized user database. Making
    DCs out of your public DNS servers is going to create a major headache for
    you. This is because of the way DCs must register there addresses in DNS,
    also if you plan on creating an AD Domain you need to name its domain
    something other than your public name.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin,

    Thank you for your expidicious response. With my
    permission, is it possible that you could connect to my
    server remotley via terminal services or remote desktop
    and help me out with the configurations? I would be more
    than willing to set you up a temporary account. I am just
    not sure how to do all that you are recommending. The Ip
    to ns1.globeqc.com is 63.172.3.235. I look ofrward to
    your reply...

    Best regards,

    Kevin J. Cantin
    kcantin@veionline.com

    your
    >newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    >issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from
    my
    >email. ==========================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    >Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
    >It will strip signature out and more
    >Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    >OEBackup:
    >

    >.

    In news:083a01c46e64$950f7660$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    asked for help and I offered my suggestions below:
    > Hello Dèjì Akómöláfé,
    >
    > First off I want to thank you for your reply. I certainly
    > hope that you will be able to help me resolve this
    > frustrating situation. I will do my best t oanswer your
    > questions accuratley. Answers are posted below your
    > questions to make for easier reading.

    Wow, may I ask why all the IP addresses? DNS servers, being what they are,
    really need to be configured with one address so they are accessible by
    clients. Not sure why to configure all of these. Even if you were to be
    hosting websites, that would be done on the webserver, unless this is a
    webserver?

    Need to ask, if I may, are you hosting your websites on your machines or are
    they being hosted elsewhere?
    Did your cable company give you all these addresses?

    I see that you have NAT. Is this DNS server performing NAT or is the router
    you have plugged into your cable modem performing NAT? Or both are? I cannot
    see that the router is performing NAT since you have all those public IPs
    configured on your NIC. There is no reason I can see from here that needs
    all those IPs on the outside interface, esepcially if the outside of this
    interface is a private network that is on the inside of your router. Make
    sense?

    For this:
    Change it to the actual IP address, which is according to your ipconfig,
    192.168.1.105.

    Remove any references to any external DNS addresses, such as remove that
    24.223.0.5 number. If you are going to use your own DNS, then you need to
    only specify your DNS. The other 63.172.x.x are yours, but I would
    re-evaluate this scenario. Maybe when Kevin remotes in he can explain what's
    going on for you and the why's and why not's.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.