Search can't find things

I have Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003. Quite often lately, when I do a
search for a file, it can't find it. I have the search parameters set up to
search in the subfolder and for hidden files. The other day I was searching
for normal.dot (I wasn't sure where it would be under the system) and it
couldn't find it. It found the shortcut to it in the "recent" folder, but
not that actual file.

I use search more often than I used to, because I can never find the file
I'm after among all the "users" (I am the *only* user of this computer, but
seem to have a split personality, not to mention "administrator", "All
Users", "Default User","My Name", "Local Service" and "Network Service" -
don't have a network)

Just now, I saved a clipart through Word, under: MyName\My Documents\My
Pictures\Microsoft Clip Organizer. When I search for this file, it can't
find it. If I look in C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\My Documents\My
Pictures\Microsoft Clip Organizer it is not there. Where did it go?

BTW, sometimes this files re-appear. I tried again the next day to search
for normal.dot, not changing any of the parameters I used the day before and
it found it.

BTW, can I get rid of some of these "users"? Drives me nuts. There seems
to be a different version of Favorites in each of them!

I imported Favorites from Win98SE, apparently successfully - if I look at
them from IE, they are fine. However, if I try to open a favorite from the
start menu, half of them are missing!

--
Cheers,

Judy -- some quotes perceptive, some pedestrian, none mine :)

Confucius say nothing -- 'cause he's dead

Google Desktop Search allows users to search e-mail in Microsoft Outlook
and Outlook Express, chat threads in AOL Instant Messenger, as well as Web
pages viewed in Microsoft's Internet Explorer. It also helps users search
plain text, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files, among other things.

Free Google Desktop Search (Download)
http://desktop.google.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Judy Bednar" wrote:

| I have Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003. Quite often lately, when I do a
| search for a file, it can't find it. I have the search parameters set up to
| search in the subfolder and for hidden files. The other day I was searching
| for normal.dot (I wasn't sure where it would be under the system) and it
| couldn't find it. It found the shortcut to it in the "recent" folder, but
| not that actual file.
|
| I use search more often than I used to, because I can never find the file
| I'm after among all the "users" (I am the *only* user of this computer, but
| seem to have a split personality, not to mention "administrator", "All
| Users", "Default User","My Name", "Local Service" and "Network Service" -
| don't have a network)
|
| Just now, I saved a clipart through Word, under: MyName\My Documents\My
| Pictures\Microsoft Clip Organizer. When I search for this file, it can't
| find it. If I look in C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\My Documents\My
| Pictures\Microsoft Clip Organizer it is not there. Where did it go?
|
| BTW, sometimes this files re-appear. I tried again the next day to search
| for normal.dot, not changing any of the parameters I used the day before and
| it found it.
|
| BTW, can I get rid of some of these "users"? Drives me nuts. There seems
| to be a different version of Favorites in each of them!
|
| I imported Favorites from Win98SE, apparently successfully - if I look at
| them from IE, they are fine. However, if I try to open a favorite from the
| start menu, half of them are missing!
|
| --
| Cheers,
|
| Judy -- some quotes perceptive, some pedestrian, none mine :)
|
| Confucius say nothing -- 'cause he's dead

Mary

Change your Folder Options, not just Search, to Show Hidden Files and File
extensions and you'll find it.

"Judy Bednar" wrote:

> I have Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003. Quite often lately, when I do a
> search for a file, it can't find it. I have the search parameters set up to
> search in the subfolder and for hidden files. The other day I was searching
> for normal.dot (I wasn't sure where it would be under the system) and it
> couldn't find it. It found the shortcut to it in the "recent" folder, but
> not that actual file.
>
> I use search more often than I used to, because I can never find the file
> I'm after among all the "users" (I am the *only* user of this computer, but
> seem to have a split personality, not to mention "administrator", "All
> Users", "Default User","My Name", "Local Service" and "Network Service" -
> don't have a network)
>
> Just now, I saved a clipart through Word, under: MyName\My Documents\My
> Pictures\Microsoft Clip Organizer. When I search for this file, it can't
> find it. If I look in C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\My Documents\My
> Pictures\Microsoft Clip Organizer it is not there. Where did it go?
>
> BTW, sometimes this files re-appear. I tried again the next day to search
> for normal.dot, not changing any of the parameters I used the day before and
> it found it.
>
> BTW, can I get rid of some of these "users"? Drives me nuts. There seems
> to be a different version of Favorites in each of them!
>
> I imported Favorites from Win98SE, apparently successfully - if I look at
> them from IE, they are fine. However, if I try to open a favorite from the
> start menu, half of them are missing!
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Judy -- some quotes perceptive, some pedestrian, none mine :)
>
> Confucius say nothing -- 'cause he's dead

> Google Desktop Search allows users to search
> [their local computer] ... http://desktop.google.com/

Google Desktop Search is awesome!

And it has no features that aren't already built into windows. XP's search is a lot more powerfull. But stupid MS hides it and makes you write web pages and install web servers to use it. Stupid MS.

http://www.uscricket.com