Host (A) records missng or have incorrect address

David

Hello,

I recently replaced our aging DC/file server/print
server/etc (Oldserv) with three new servers. To maintain
file paths for linked excel documents etc, I named the
new file server the same as the old DC/file server
(Oldserv). I gave the new DC a new name (newDC). We do
have a second DC (oldserv2).

(Here is where I think I made my mistake) I looked in DNS
and found entries for the old DC (oldserv) and a couple
other servers from our migration to AD (oldservtemp 1 &
2). Thinking I would not need these entries I deleted
them to "cleanup".

Now...clients that are currently in the domain have no
trouble with internet or anything. using nslookup, they
cannot "find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Non-
existent domain". the default server is unknown. But
these current client have had no issues. I have two new
laoptops I need to introduce to the domain but they
cannot find it. I thought it was networking issue at
first but they have local IPs from DHCP server (complete
with DNS and WINS info), they can ping IPs, and server
names. But they cannot ping external - yahoo.com. When I
ping the domain name (office.com) the reply varies from
(oldserv2), to (newdc), to one of the IPs designated for
RAS on (newDC).

Here is the text of the error I get when trying to add
them to the domain.

DNS was sucessfully queried for the service location
(SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller
for the domain office.com

The query was for the SRV record for
_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.office.com

The following domain controllers were indentified by the
query:

oldserv2.office.com
oldserv.office.com

Common causes of this error include:
-Host (A) records that map the name of the domain
controller to its IP address are missing or contain
incorrect addresses.

-Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected
to the network or are not running.

Every entry in DNS looks to be right as far as address is
concerned. I figure there must be an entry of some kind
missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been
bugging me for three days now.

David

In news:129a01c46f1c$e3f7c5d0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
David <dsully**@jic-ohio**.com**> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello,
>
> I recently replaced our aging DC/file server/print
> server/etc (Oldserv) with three new servers. To maintain
> file paths for linked excel documents etc, I named the
> new file server the same as the old DC/file server
> (Oldserv). I gave the new DC a new name (newDC). We do
> have a second DC (oldserv2).

How did you manage to name the new DC with the same name as the old DC?
This is not possible unless you actually pulled the old hard drive out of
the old DC and put it in the new DC or copy the disk image to a new drive,
the only way to add or remove DCs is by using DCPROMO.

Even if you named the new DC the same as your old DC its SID is different
and the domain will know it is not the same machine.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

I did not name the NEW DC the same as the old DC. I
named the NEW file server the same as the old file server
which happened to also be the old DC. I named the NEW DC
with a NEW name.

I ran dcpromo to promote one of the new servers to a DC.
I ran dcpromo to demote the old DC/file server and then
removed it from the domain. I named the new file server
the same as the old file server.

I don't think this is the issue. I beleive there is a
mising or incorrect record in my DNS.

David

your
>newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
>issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from
my
>email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
>Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
>It will strip signature out and more
>Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
>OEBackup:
>

>.

In news:158101c46f36$b54a0260$a601280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I did not name the NEW DC the same as the old DC. I
> named the NEW file server the same as the old file server
> which happened to also be the old DC. I named the NEW DC
> with a NEW name.

OK, in you original post you had included information that may not have been
relevant and confusing.

> I ran dcpromo to promote one of the new servers to a DC.
> I ran dcpromo to demote the old DC/file server and then
> removed it from the domain. I named the new file server
> the same as the old file server.
When you removed the old server from the domain did you check ADUC to see if
the computer account was removed?

> I don't think this is the issue. I beleive there is a
> mising or incorrect record in my DNS.

If the records are missing from DNS you can run netdiag /fix to reregister
the machines records in DNS. You probably should do a clean install of the
Active Directory DNS zone. I'll post the article below but just to hit the
high spots, first point all machines and DCs to One DNS server you are going
to the re-install on. Then change the zone to standard primary and then
delete the zone from ADUC in the MSDNS directory. Delete the zone in DNS and
re-create it as AD integrated allow dynamic updates restart the Netlogon
service and run ipconfig /registerdns.
That the main stuff follow the KB article exactly in order.
294328 - How to Reinstall a Dynamic DNS Active Directory- Integrated Zone
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q294328

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

Hello,

I had the same error message. But then I had to realize that I am not even able to ping the new machine, but can ping anything FROM the new laptop. I switched off McAffe HIP (Host Intrusion Prevention) and Firewall. I was able to ping the laptop and also was able to join it to the domain.