Dynamic DNS

Hi, all!
My hosts don't register themselves in DNS server. Network settings are
proper. Also I tried to run ipconfig /registerdns. But there was no result.
No changed records on DNS servers, no DNS events in event log. Does anyone
have any idea what's going on?
Thanks
Mykhaylo Khodorev

All servers and workstations should specify *only* the internal
AD-integrated DNS server's IP address in their network settings. The
AD-integrated DNS server should be set up with forwarders to your ISP's DNS
servers for external resolution. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202 for more
info.

Does this apply?

Mykhaylo Khodorev wrote:
> Hi, all!
> My hosts don't register themselves in DNS server. Network
> settings are proper. Also I tried to run ipconfig /registerdns. But
> there was no result. No changed records on DNS servers, no DNS events
> in event log. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
> Thanks
> Mykhaylo Khodorev

In news:cdofaa$2mpa$1@news.dg.net.ua,
Mykhaylo Khodorev <ralfeus@chicagocentre.com.ua> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi, all!
> My hosts don't register themselves in DNS server.
> Network settings are proper. Also I tried to run ipconfig
> /registerdns. But there was no result. No changed records
> on DNS servers, no DNS events in event log. Does anyone
> have any idea what's going on? Thanks
> Mykhaylo Khodorev

In addition to Lanwench's post is your domain a multi-label name like
domain.something?
Is the primary DNS suffix the same name as your forward lookup zone?
826743 - Clients cannot dynamically register DNS records in a single-label
forward lookup zone: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826743

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

All servers and workstations are using the internal AD-intergrated DNS
server only.
DNS server is set up to forward requests for external names.
But problem is remain.....

Thank you
Mykhaylo

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> All servers and workstations should specify *only* the internal
> AD-integrated DNS server's IP address in their network settings. The
> AD-integrated DNS server should be set up with forwarders to your ISP's
DNS
> servers for external resolution. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202 for more
> info.
>
> Does this apply?
>
> Mykhaylo Khodorev wrote:
> > Hi, all!
> > My hosts don't register themselves in DNS server. Network
> > settings are proper. Also I tried to run ipconfig /registerdns. But
> > there was no result. No changed records on DNS servers, no DNS events
> > in event log. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
> > Thanks
> > Mykhaylo Khodorev

Yes, my primary DNS suffix is same as forward lookup zone.
Mykhaylo

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> In news:cdofaa$2mpa$1@news.dg.net.ua,
> Mykhaylo Khodorev <ralfeus@chicagocentre.com.ua> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hi, all!
> > My hosts don't register themselves in DNS server.
> > Network settings are proper. Also I tried to run ipconfig
> > /registerdns. But there was no result. No changed records
> > on DNS servers, no DNS events in event log. Does anyone
> > have any idea what's going on? Thanks
> > Mykhaylo Khodorev
>
> In addition to Lanwench's post is your domain a multi-label name like
> domain.something?
> Is the primary DNS suffix the same name as your forward lookup zone?
> 826743 - Clients cannot dynamically register DNS records in a single-label
> forward lookup zone: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=826743
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
> email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

I've just found very strange event in my event log after an attempt to
manually register RR in DNS:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DnsApi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11163
Date: 22.07.2004
Time: 21:05:58
User: N/A
Computer: HEAVEN
The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network
adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {AA893F47-F664-46AE-A4BE-6634C952ADB0}
Host Name : heaven
Primary Domain Suffix : intercontinentbank.com
DNS server list :
192.168.0.14
Sent update to server : 192.1.1.1
IP Address(es) :
192.168.0.245

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS
server failed the update request. The most likely cause of this is that the
authoritative DNS server required to process this update request has a lock
in place on the zone, probably because a zone transfer is in progress.

You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its
settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If
problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems
administrator.

Data:
0000: 2d 23 00 00 -#..

The issue that I don't have the address 192.1.1.1
I didn't find anywhere the value 192.1.1.1 Where from this address appeared?

From the client try running this and pasting the output here.

nslookup -debug -q=soa heaven.intercontinentbank.com.

This is the query the client uses to locate a server to take the update.

"Mykhaylo Khodorev" <ralfeus@chicagocentre.com.ua> wrote in message
> I've just found very strange event in my event log after an attempt to
> manually register RR in DNS:
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: DnsApi
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 11163
> Date: 22.07.2004
> Time: 21:05:58
> User: N/A
> Computer: HEAVEN
> The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network
> adapter
> with settings:
>
> Adapter Name : {AA893F47-F664-46AE-A4BE-6634C952ADB0}
> Host Name : heaven
> Primary Domain Suffix : intercontinentbank.com
> DNS server list :
> 192.168.0.14
> Sent update to server : 192.1.1.1
> IP Address(es) :
> 192.168.0.245
>
> The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS
> server failed the update request. The most likely cause of this is that
the
> authoritative DNS server required to process this update request has a
lock
> in place on the zone, probably because a zone transfer is in progress.
>
> You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its
> settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If
> problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems
> administrator.

> Data:
> 0000: 2d 23 00 00 -#..
>
> The issue that I don't have the address 192.1.1.1
> I didn't find anywhere the value 192.1.1.1 Where from this address
appeared?

C:\WINDOWS>nslookup -debug -q=soa heaven.intercontinentbank.com
------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
14.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
ANSWERS:
-> 14.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
name = dc1.intercontinentbank.com
ttl = 900 (15 mins)

------------
Server: dc1.intercontinentbank.com
Address: 192.168.0.14

------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NXDOMAIN
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 1, additional = 1

QUESTIONS:
heaven.intercontinentbank.com.intercontinentbank.com, type = SOA,
class = IN
AUTHORITY RECORDS:
-> intercontinentbank.com
ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
primary name server = dc1.intercontinentbank.com
responsible mail addr = admin.intercontinentbank.com
serial = 56440
refresh = 900 (15 mins)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)
default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)
ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
-> dc1.intercontinentbank.com
internet address = 192.168.0.14
ttl = 3600 (1 hour)

------------
------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NXDOMAIN
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 1, additional = 1

QUESTIONS:
heaven.intercontinentbank.com.interservice.local, type = SOA, class
= IN
AUTHORITY RECORDS:
-> interservice.local
ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
primary name server = is000.interservice.local
responsible mail addr = admin
serial = 1631
refresh = 900 (15 mins)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)
default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)
ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
-> is000.interservice.local
internet address = 192.168.151.2
ttl = 1200 (20 mins)

Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 4, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records = 1, additional = 1

QUESTIONS:
heaven.intercontinentbank.com, type = SOA, class = IN