Change default DNS server on client with 2 nics

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I have a Win2k Pro machine with 2 nics. Currently the default dns server is
set to an address on nic#1. I need the default server to be one from nic#2.
How can I specify a dns server when more than one nic is involved?

Nick Trenary
Computer Information Systems Analyst
Cedar Rapid Public Library

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Remove DNS from the first NIC? Why do you have 2 NICS anyways? I this
machine a router?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Nick Trenary" <nick@mail.crlibrary.org> wrote in message
> I have a Win2k Pro machine with 2 nics. Currently the default dns server
is
> set to an address on nic#1. I need the default server to be one from
nic#2.
> How can I specify a dns server when more than one nic is involved?
>
> Nick Trenary
> Computer Information Systems Analyst
> Cedar Rapid Public Library

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

The primary DNS server can be configured on a per adapter basis. The
adapter's primary DNS server can have any IP address which is reachable from
the client machine regardless of which adapter is used to send the packets.
See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/prork/prcc_tcp_ngjq.asp

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"FriedFred" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just received a refurbished Dell Lapttop with win2kpro
> loaded and can't get full screen display. What to do?

Just do it. Take off any you don't want and add any you do.

You can even add the same one to both NICs.

DNS is a ROUTABLE service since it uses IP and therefore
it doesn't really matter as long as the DNS server is specified.

--
Herb Martin

"Nick Trenary" <nick@mail.crlibrary.org> wrote in message
> I have a Win2k Pro machine with 2 nics. Currently the default dns server
is
> set to an address on nic#1. I need the default server to be one from
nic#2.
> How can I specify a dns server when more than one nic is involved?
>
> Nick Trenary
> Computer Information Systems Analyst
> Cedar Rapid Public Library

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I prefer 127.0.0.1

It always works and that is what the system will default to if you don't
include one at all.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in message
> I prefer 127.0.0.1
>
> It always works and that is what the system will default to if you don't
> include one at all.
>
> --
>
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com

Hi Phillip,

Its actually preferred to use tha actual IP address. The loopback will show
up if dcpromo installs DNS for you. Using the loopback also causes that
familiar 'domain not found' message when nslookup invokes. If you ever tried
to put in 127.0.0.1, it won't let you anyway. You would need to go thru the
reg to do it. But as for best practice, its recommened to use the actual IP.

Cheers!!

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" <firstnamelastname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Its actually preferred to use tha actual IP address. The loopback will
show
> up if dcpromo installs DNS for you. Using the loopback also causes that
> familiar 'domain not found' message when nslookup invokes. If you ever
tried
> to put in 127.0.0.1, it won't let you anyway. You would need to go thru
the
> reg to do it. But as for best practice, its recommened to use the actual
IP.

I've seen it claimed both ways. I am in fact using 127.0.0.1 on a 2003 dc
in a network with only a single DC and did not have to adjust the registry.
If you leave the DNS entry blank and try to leave the dialog box it will
automatically put in 127.0.0.1, ....I don't see why it would do that if it
wan't a valid entry.

--

In news:utuU25MdEHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Phillip Windell <@.> asked for help and I offered my suggestions below:
> "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <firstnamelastname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Its actually preferred to use tha actual IP address. The loopback
>> will show up if dcpromo installs DNS for you. Using the loopback
>> also causes that familiar 'domain not found' message when nslookup
>> invokes. If you ever tried to put in 127.0.0.1, it won't let you
>> anyway. You would need to go thru the reg to do it. But as for best
>> practice, its recommened to use the actual IP.
>
> I've seen it claimed both ways. I am in fact using 127.0.0.1 on a
> 2003 dc in a network with only a single DC and did not have to adjust
> the registry. If you leave the DNS entry blank and try to leave the
> dialog box it will automatically put in 127.0.0.1, ....I don't see
> why it would do that if it wan't a valid entry.

If you tried to type it in, it won't accept it, saying its an ivalid IP. Try
it.

Sure, you can use it, not saying you can't and dcpromo will put it in for
you if you don't already point to yourself for DNS (it does it thru the
reg), but its not really recommended. It can also cause issues with RAS
(article below describing that). You can also ask some of the others here as
well. Here's a repost from awhile ago discussing it ...

Q172060 - NSLOOKUP Can't Find Server Name for Address 127.0.0.1 -
(another good reason not to use the loopback):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q172060&

Q254715 - RAS Clients Receive 127.0.0.1 for DNS Server Address:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q254715&

And here's a post from Thomas Lee from awhile back about it: