Change default DNS server on client with 2 nics

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I have a Win2k Pro machine with 2 nics. Currently the default dns server is
set to an address on nic#1. I need the default server to be one from nic#2.
How can I specify a dns server when more than one nic is involved?

Nick Trenary
Computer Information Systems Analyst
Cedar Rapid Public Library
11 answers Last reply
More about change default server client nics
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    Remove DNS from the first NIC? Why do you have 2 NICS anyways? I this
    machine a router?

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Nick Trenary" <nick@mail.crlibrary.org> wrote in message
    > I have a Win2k Pro machine with 2 nics. Currently the default dns server
    is
    > set to an address on nic#1. I need the default server to be one from
    nic#2.
    > How can I specify a dns server when more than one nic is involved?
    >
    > Nick Trenary
    > Computer Information Systems Analyst
    > Cedar Rapid Public Library

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    The primary DNS server can be configured on a per adapter basis. The
    adapter's primary DNS server can have any IP address which is reachable from
    the client machine regardless of which adapter is used to send the packets.
    See:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/prork/prcc_tcp_ngjq.asp

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Nick Trenary" <nick@mail.crlibrary.org> wrote in message
    > I have a Win2k Pro machine with 2 nics. Currently the default dns server
    is
    > set to an address on nic#1. I need the default server to be one from
    nic#2.
    > How can I specify a dns server when more than one nic is involved?
    >
    > Nick Trenary
    > Computer Information Systems Analyst
    > Cedar Rapid Public Library

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    "FriedFred" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just received a refurbished Dell Lapttop with win2kpro
    > loaded and can't get full screen display. What to do?

    Just do it. Take off any you don't want and add any you do.

    You can even add the same one to both NICs.

    DNS is a ROUTABLE service since it uses IP and therefore
    it doesn't really matter as long as the DNS server is specified.

    --
    Herb Martin

    "Nick Trenary" <nick@mail.crlibrary.org> wrote in message
    > I have a Win2k Pro machine with 2 nics. Currently the default dns server
    is
    > set to an address on nic#1. I need the default server to be one from
    nic#2.
    > How can I specify a dns server when more than one nic is involved?
    >
    > Nick Trenary
    > Computer Information Systems Analyst
    > Cedar Rapid Public Library

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    I prefer 127.0.0.1

    It always works and that is what the system will default to if you don't
    include one at all.

    --

    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com

    "Nick Trenary" <nick@mail.crlibrary.org> wrote in message
    > I have a Win2k Pro machine with 2 nics. Currently the default dns server
    is
    > set to an address on nic#1. I need the default server to be one from
    nic#2.
    > How can I specify a dns server when more than one nic is involved?
    >
    > Nick Trenary
    > Computer Information Systems Analyst
    > Cedar Rapid Public Library

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    "Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in message
    > I prefer 127.0.0.1
    >
    > It always works and that is what the system will default to if you don't
    > include one at all.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    > www.wandtv.com

    Hi Phillip,

    Its actually preferred to use tha actual IP address. The loopback will show
    up if dcpromo installs DNS for you. Using the loopback also causes that
    familiar 'domain not found' message when nslookup invokes. If you ever tried
    to put in 127.0.0.1, it won't let you anyway. You would need to go thru the
    reg to do it. But as for best practice, its recommened to use the actual IP.

    Cheers!!

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <firstnamelastname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Its actually preferred to use tha actual IP address. The loopback will
    show
    > up if dcpromo installs DNS for you. Using the loopback also causes that
    > familiar 'domain not found' message when nslookup invokes. If you ever
    tried
    > to put in 127.0.0.1, it won't let you anyway. You would need to go thru
    the
    > reg to do it. But as for best practice, its recommened to use the actual
    IP.

    I've seen it claimed both ways. I am in fact using 127.0.0.1 on a 2003 dc
    in a network with only a single DC and did not have to adjust the registry.
    If you leave the DNS entry blank and try to leave the dialog box it will
    automatically put in 127.0.0.1, ....I don't see why it would do that if it
    wan't a valid entry.

    --

    Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
    www.wandtv.com
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

    In news:utuU25MdEHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Phillip Windell <@.> asked for help and I offered my suggestions below:
    > "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <firstnamelastname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Its actually preferred to use tha actual IP address. The loopback
    >> will show up if dcpromo installs DNS for you. Using the loopback
    >> also causes that familiar 'domain not found' message when nslookup
    >> invokes. If you ever tried to put in 127.0.0.1, it won't let you
    >> anyway. You would need to go thru the reg to do it. But as for best
    >> practice, its recommened to use the actual IP.
    >
    > I've seen it claimed both ways. I am in fact using 127.0.0.1 on a
    > 2003 dc in a network with only a single DC and did not have to adjust
    > the registry. If you leave the DNS entry blank and try to leave the
    > dialog box it will automatically put in 127.0.0.1, ....I don't see
    > why it would do that if it wan't a valid entry.

    If you tried to type it in, it won't accept it, saying its an ivalid IP. Try
    it.

    Sure, you can use it, not saying you can't and dcpromo will put it in for
    you if you don't already point to yourself for DNS (it does it thru the
    reg), but its not really recommended. It can also cause issues with RAS
    (article below describing that). You can also ask some of the others here as
    well. Here's a repost from awhile ago discussing it ...

    Q172060 - NSLOOKUP Can't Find Server Name for Address 127.0.0.1 -
    (another good reason not to use the loopback):
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q172060&

    Q254715 - RAS Clients Receive 127.0.0.1 for DNS Server Address:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q254715&

    And here's a post from Thomas Lee from awhile back about it: