DNS Zone

HI

I currently have 3 zone in my DNS Server( Zone A, Zone B and Zone C) . my client PC is pointing to Zone B suffx.
Will it look for zone A record if zone b does not have the records?
If no, how can I setup so that zone B will point to zone A records if zone b does not have the record

If the record is a match in any zone, dns will return it. No zone takes
lead over any other zone. The match is done with ownerName match.

--
William Stacey, MVP

"Qiang" <Qiang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI
>
> I currently have 3 zone in my DNS Server( Zone A, Zone B and Zone C) . my
client PC is pointing to Zone B suffx.
> Will it look for zone A record if zone b does not have the records?
> If no, how can I setup so that zone B will point to zone A records if zone
b does not have the record

Do u mean DNS will look for all other records in all the zone rather than its own zone?

"William Stacey [MVP]" wrote:

> If the record is a match in any zone, dns will return it. No zone takes
> lead over any other zone. The match is done with ownerName match.
>
> --
> William Stacey, MVP
>
> "Qiang" <Qiang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HI
> >
> > I currently have 3 zone in my DNS Server( Zone A, Zone B and Zone C) . my
> client PC is pointing to Zone B suffx.
> > Will it look for zone A record if zone b does not have the records?
> > If no, how can I setup so that zone B will point to zone A records if zone
> b does not have the record

In news:1DB9C7F6-076A-4999-B867-1841604AD823@microsoft.com,
Qiang <Qiang@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
>>> I currently have 3 zone in my DNS Server( Zone A, Zone
>>> B and Zone C) . my
>> client PC is pointing to Zone B suffx.
>>> Will it look for zone A record if zone b does not have
>>> the records?

Not unless zoneA is in the search list.

>>> If no, how can I setup so that zone B will point to
>>> zone A records if zone
>> b does not have the record

Add zoneA to the search list. IF you want it to look in all zones, you have
to add all zones to the DNS suffix search list.

It will if you have both zoneA and zoneB in the DNS search list. Which ever
one that it asks first that has the record it will resolve.
So if you have a record for machineA in zoneB and zoneB is in the search
list if you ask for machineA it will find it. But if you ask for
machineA.ZoneA it won't look in zoneB.
This only works for applications that use the search list in the DNS client
(e.g. nslookup and the system resolver) Dig and Netdig ignore the search
list in the DNS client.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

May I know is there any way to put zone A in the search list?

Thanks

In news:3C8FCED1-FD56-4968-8473-4F155AB5A0FF@microsoft.com,
qiang <qiang@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> May I know is there any way to put zone A in the search
> list?
TCP/IP properties, on the DNS tab. Select "Append these DNS suffixes (in
order)"
Make sure you limit your list to local zones in local DNS server or it could
considerably slow resolution.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

I have already put zone A inside the search list but I still got this problem that client PC cannot find LDAP service for another domain controller. The LDAP record is recorded in zone A while the client record is in zone B.

Does it matter ?

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:3C8FCED1-FD56-4968-8473-4F155AB5A0FF@microsoft.com,
> qiang <qiang@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > May I know is there any way to put zone A in the search
> > list?
> TCP/IP properties, on the DNS tab. Select "Append these DNS suffixes (in
> order)"
> Make sure you limit your list to local zones in local DNS server or it could
> considerably slow resolution.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
> email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

No.
DNS will figure out what zone to search based on the domain name of query.
If no local zone found or not in cache, then it will to recursive logic if
forwarders and/or root hints setup on server. If a local zone is auth for
the ownerName, then that zone is search for exact match or delegation, etc.
hth

--
William Stacey, MVP

"Qiang" <Qiang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do u mean DNS will look for all other records in all the zone rather than
its own zone?

> "William Stacey [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > If the record is a match in any zone, dns will return it. No zone takes
> > lead over any other zone. The match is done with ownerName match.
> >
> > --
> > William Stacey, MVP
> >
> > "Qiang" <Qiang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > HI
> > >
> > > I currently have 3 zone in my DNS Server( Zone A, Zone B and Zone C) .
my
> > client PC is pointing to Zone B suffx.
> > > Will it look for zone A record if zone b does not have the records?
> > > If no, how can I setup so that zone B will point to zone A records if
zone
> > b does not have the record

I having this problem my pc record is in zone A . I want to join a domain B in Zone B . LPAD record is in zone b . But I cannot access domain B as netdiag complained that it cannot find any DC for domain B . I haqve added the zone B suffix inside my IP setting .

Any help will be greatly appreciated.