Grayscale? HP 4P Postscript?

Mike

Splendid

Grayscale? HP 4P Postscript?

I'd like to print "half-decent" grayscale images without
spending a lot of (any) money.
My HP-4L ain't cutting it.

I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
True? False?

I was delighted to pick up a HP-4P for a buck. But my delight
turned to dispair when I learned that postscript was an
option that costs about $180 today.

The 600dpi helps, but it seems that true grayscale would be
a lot better???

Would the postscript option for the HP-4P make a significant
difference in ability to print B/W photos?

Are there other cheaper options? Better (freeware) drivers than what's
in Windows 98SE.

I also have an Apple Personal Laserwriter 320. I think that
does postscript, but I don't have the hardware to interface
it to my PC. Don't suppose there's a postscript simm buried in there
somewhere I could use on the 4P?

Thanks, mike
..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

> I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
> true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
> screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
> True? False?

False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
with areas of black (solid toner).

> I was delighted to pick up a HP-4P for a buck. But my delight
> turned to dispair when I learned that postscript was an
> option that costs about $180 today.

Ghostscript is probably a better alternative.

In article <42BF5C4B.7040609@netscape.net>, mike <spamme0@netscape.net>
wrote:

> I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
> true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
> screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
> True? False?

False.

In article <slrndbuqtg.18g3.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> > I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
> > true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
> > screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
> > True? False?
>
> False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
> that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
> with areas of black (solid toner).

He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
halftoning or dithering.

"mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Grayscale? HP 4P Postscript?
>
> I'd like to print "half-decent" grayscale images without
> spending a lot of (any) money.
> My HP-4L ain't cutting it.
>
> I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
> true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
> screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
> True? False?

False.

If you have access to a cheap inkjet try looking for a "quad black"
cartridge set. This replaces the normal Black+3 colour cart with 4 shades of
black (eg grey) to give improved greyscales..

ME

In message <slrndbuqtg.18g3.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>, Warren Block
<wblock@wonkity.com> writes
>mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
>> true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
>> screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
>> True? False?
>
>False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
>that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
>with areas of black (solid toner).

What you need is a contone printer rather than a halftone printer which
you are only going to find more at the professional end of the market.
I have a second hand colour photocopier that does this and each of the
for colours (CMYK) has an 8 bit depth to its output. This enables it to
have a very wide gamut.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to get a network capable
photocopier (ie: one that can be used as a printer).

--
Timothy

In article <Sg06vwG6z7vCFwb8@town-village.demon.co.uk>,
"me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote:

> What you need is a contone printer rather than a halftone printer which
> you are only going to find more at the professional end of the market.
> I have a second hand colour photocopier that does this and each of the
> for colours (CMYK) has an 8 bit depth to its output. This enables it to
> have a very wide gamut.
>
> Probably the easiest way to do this is to get a network capable
> photocopier (ie: one that can be used as a printer).

Yep.

Elmo P. Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
> In article <slrndbuqtg.18g3.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> > I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
>> > true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
>> > screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
>> > True? False?
>>
>> False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
>> that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
>> with areas of black (solid toner).
>
> He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
> wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
> halftoning or dithering.

I was thinking about the 4P, which will not do grayscale. Put more
generally, PostScript does not give a printer abilities that the
printing engine doesn't already have.

In article <slrndc03r2.1esa.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> > He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
> > wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
> > halftoning or dithering.
>
> I was thinking about the 4P, which will not do grayscale. Put more
> generally, PostScript does not give a printer abilities that the
> printing engine doesn't already have.

Yes, that's 100% true.

Mike

Splendid

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <slrndc03r2.1esa.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>

>>>He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
>>>wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
>>>halftoning or dithering.
>>
>>I was thinking about the 4P, which will not do grayscale. Put more
>>generally, PostScript does not give a printer abilities that the
>>printing engine doesn't already have.
>

> Yes, that's 100% true.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

TRENDING THREADS