Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Grayscale? HP 4P Postscript?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
June 26, 2005 10:54:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Grayscale? HP 4P Postscript?

I'd like to print "half-decent" grayscale images without
spending a lot of (any) money.
My HP-4L ain't cutting it.

I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
True? False?

I was delighted to pick up a HP-4P for a buck. But my delight
turned to dispair when I learned that postscript was an
option that costs about $180 today.

The 600dpi helps, but it seems that true grayscale would be
a lot better???

Would the postscript option for the HP-4P make a significant
difference in ability to print B/W photos?

Are there other cheaper options? Better (freeware) drivers than what's
in Windows 98SE.

I also have an Apple Personal Laserwriter 320. I think that
does postscript, but I don't have the hardware to interface
it to my PC. Don't suppose there's a postscript simm buried in there
somewhere I could use on the 4P?

Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

More about : grayscale postscript

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:00:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

> I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
> true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
> screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
> True? False?

False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
with areas of black (solid toner).

> I was delighted to pick up a HP-4P for a buck. But my delight
> turned to dispair when I learned that postscript was an
> option that costs about $180 today.

Ghostscript is probably a better alternative.

--
Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:30:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <42BF5C4B.7040609@netscape.net>, mike <spamme0@netscape.net>
wrote:

> I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
> true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
> screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
> True? False?

False.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:32:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <slrndbuqtg.18g3.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> > I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
> > true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
> > screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
> > True? False?
>
> False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
> that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
> with areas of black (solid toner).

He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
halftoning or dithering.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:47:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:42BF5C4B.7040609@netscape.net...
> Grayscale? HP 4P Postscript?
>
> I'd like to print "half-decent" grayscale images without
> spending a lot of (any) money.
> My HP-4L ain't cutting it.
>
> I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
> true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
> screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
> True? False?

False.

If you have access to a cheap inkjet try looking for a "quad black"
cartridge set. This replaces the normal Black+3 colour cart with 4 shades of
black (eg grey) to give improved greyscales..
June 27, 2005 1:46:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In message <slrndbuqtg.18g3.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>, Warren Block
<wblock@wonkity.com> writes
>mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
>> true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
>> screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
>> True? False?
>
>False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
>that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
>with areas of black (solid toner).

What you need is a contone printer rather than a halftone printer which
you are only going to find more at the professional end of the market.
I have a second hand colour photocopier that does this and each of the
for colours (CMYK) has an 8 bit depth to its output. This enables it to
have a very wide gamut.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to get a network capable
photocopier (ie: one that can be used as a printer).

--
Timothy
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:46:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <Sg06vwG6z7vCFwb8@town-village.demon.co.uk>,
"me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote:

> What you need is a contone printer rather than a halftone printer which
> you are only going to find more at the professional end of the market.
> I have a second hand colour photocopier that does this and each of the
> for colours (CMYK) has an 8 bit depth to its output. This enables it to
> have a very wide gamut.
>
> Probably the easiest way to do this is to get a network capable
> photocopier (ie: one that can be used as a printer).

Yep.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:38:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Elmo P. Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
> In article <slrndbuqtg.18g3.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> > I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
>> > true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
>> > screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
>> > True? False?
>>
>> False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
>> that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
>> with areas of black (solid toner).
>
> He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
> wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
> halftoning or dithering.

I was thinking about the 4P, which will not do grayscale. Put more
generally, PostScript does not give a printer abilities that the
printing engine doesn't already have.

--
Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:38:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article <slrndc03r2.1esa.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> > He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
> > wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
> > halftoning or dithering.
>
> I was thinking about the 4P, which will not do grayscale. Put more
> generally, PostScript does not give a printer abilities that the
> printing engine doesn't already have.

Yes, that's 100% true.
June 27, 2005 7:09:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <slrndc03r2.1esa.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>
>>>He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
>>>wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
>>>halftoning or dithering.
>>
>>I was thinking about the 4P, which will not do grayscale. Put more
>>generally, PostScript does not give a printer abilities that the
>>printing engine doesn't already have.
>
>
> Yes, that's 100% true.
>

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
mike

--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
!