Grayscale? HP 4P Postscript?

I'd like to print "half-decent" grayscale images without
spending a lot of (any) money.
My HP-4L ain't cutting it.

I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
True? False?

I was delighted to pick up a HP-4P for a buck. But my delight
turned to dispair when I learned that postscript was an
option that costs about $180 today.

The 600dpi helps, but it seems that true grayscale would be
a lot better???

Would the postscript option for the HP-4P make a significant
difference in ability to print B/W photos?

Are there other cheaper options? Better (freeware) drivers than what's
in Windows 98SE.

I also have an Apple Personal Laserwriter 320. I think that
does postscript, but I don't have the hardware to interface
it to my PC. Don't suppose there's a postscript simm buried in there
somewhere I could use on the 4P?

Thanks, mike
..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
More about grayscale postscript

    mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:

    > I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
    > true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
    > screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
    > True? False?

    False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
    that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
    with areas of black (solid toner).

    > I was delighted to pick up a HP-4P for a buck. But my delight
    > turned to dispair when I learned that postscript was an
    > option that costs about $180 today.

    Ghostscript is probably a better alternative.

    In article <42BF5C4B.7040609@netscape.net>, mike <spamme0@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    > I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
    > true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
    > screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
    > True? False?

    False.

    In article <slrndbuqtg.18g3.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
    Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

    > > I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
    > > true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
    > > screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
    > > True? False?
    >
    > False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
    > that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
    > with areas of black (solid toner).

    He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
    wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
    halftoning or dithering.

    "mike" <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Grayscale? HP 4P Postscript?
    >
    > I'd like to print "half-decent" grayscale images without
    > spending a lot of (any) money.
    > My HP-4L ain't cutting it.
    >
    > I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
    > true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
    > screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
    > True? False?

    False.

    If you have access to a cheap inkjet try looking for a "quad black"
    cartridge set. This replaces the normal Black+3 colour cart with 4 shades of
    black (eg grey) to give improved greyscales..

    In message <slrndbuqtg.18g3.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>, Warren Block
    <wblock@wonkity.com> writes
    >mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
    >> true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
    >> screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
    >> True? False?
    >
    >False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
    >that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
    >with areas of black (solid toner).

    What you need is a contone printer rather than a halftone printer which
    you are only going to find more at the professional end of the market.
    I have a second hand colour photocopier that does this and each of the
    for colours (CMYK) has an 8 bit depth to its output. This enables it to
    have a very wide gamut.

    Probably the easiest way to do this is to get a network capable
    photocopier (ie: one that can be used as a printer).

    --
    Timothy

    In article <Sg06vwG6z7vCFwb8@town-village.demon.co.uk>,
    "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net> wrote:

    > What you need is a contone printer rather than a halftone printer which
    > you are only going to find more at the professional end of the market.
    > I have a second hand colour photocopier that does this and each of the
    > for colours (CMYK) has an 8 bit depth to its output. This enables it to
    > have a very wide gamut.
    >
    > Probably the easiest way to do this is to get a network capable
    > photocopier (ie: one that can be used as a printer).

    Yep.

    Elmo P. Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
    > In article <slrndbuqtg.18g3.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
    > Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
    >
    >> > I have it in my head that any postscript printer can print
    >> > true grayscale, not to be confused with dithering/halftoning/
    >> > screening. I mean actually modulating the intensity of each dot.
    >> > True? False?
    >>
    >> False, since there's only one shade of toner. The only way to modulate
    >> that is with a halftone or equivalent, mixing areas of white (no toner)
    >> with areas of black (solid toner).
    >
    > He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
    > wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
    > halftoning or dithering.

    I was thinking about the 4P, which will not do grayscale. Put more
    generally, PostScript does not give a printer abilities that the
    printing engine doesn't already have.

    In article <slrndc03r2.1esa.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
    Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

    > > He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
    > > wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
    > > halftoning or dithering.
    >
    > I was thinking about the 4P, which will not do grayscale. Put more
    > generally, PostScript does not give a printer abilities that the
    > printing engine doesn't already have.

    Yes, that's 100% true.

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In article <slrndc03r2.1esa.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>,
    > Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>He's wrong because not just *any* printer can do grayscale. You're
    >>>wrong because some printers can do grayscale. A true grayscale, not
    >>>halftoning or dithering.
    >>
    >>I was thinking about the 4P, which will not do grayscale. Put more
    >>generally, PostScript does not give a printer abilities that the
    >>printing engine doesn't already have.
    >

    > Yes, that's 100% true.

    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals