NetMeeting Firewall

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

NetMeeting works on my two computers connected to my LAN without any
problems. When I try to make connections with a computer outside my LAN I
get the Error Message “Cannot Make the Connection.�

The Belkin support technician recommends I change the NAT setting and use a
DMZ setting to bypass the router firewall. Will I also have to turn off my
Microsoft Firewall to get NetMeeting to make a connection? Microsoft’s KB
#158623 only mentions not blocking certain ports when using NetMeeting. This
who thing is a very unclear and confusing.

What exactly will it take to make NetMeeting work with Windows XP SP2 and
my Belkin Router F505230-4 and still have either a software or hardware
firewall working when using NetMeeting? I want to connect with some
security in place.

Smith

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

There is a netmeeting newsgroup - ask there.

"Jerry" wrote:

> There is a netmeeting newsgroup - ask there.
>
> "Smith" <Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > NetMeeting works on my two computers connected to my LAN without any
> > problems. When I try to make connections with a computer outside my LAN I
> > get the Error Message "Cannot Make the Connection."
> >
> > The Belkin support technician recommends I change the NAT setting and use
> > DMZ setting to bypass the router firewall. Will I also have to turn off my
> > Microsoft Firewall to get NetMeeting to make a connection? Microsoft's KB
> > #158623 only mentions not blocking certain ports when using NetMeeting.
> > This
> > who thing is a very unclear and confusing.
> >
> > What exactly will it take to make NetMeeting work with Windows XP SP2 and
> > my Belkin Router F505230-4 and still have either a software or hardware
> > firewall working when using NetMeeting? I want to connect with some
> > security in place.
> >

> > Smith

I have no answer for you, but I have had Netmeeting available to an outside
location from either of my compters through a LinkSys router/firewall and
Windows XP Firewall with no problems for the past 4 years. I do not turn off
any of the security settings.