Sign in with
Your question

AMD'S first official test of X2 VS E6300

Last response: in CPUs
August 13, 2006 6:58:57 PM

Last weekend AMD organized a public test between X2 4200+ AND E6300 in Japan.
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20060812/e...
The E6300 uses the following configuration :ASUS P5W DH DELUXE,DDR2-800 512MBX2 5-5-5-18.

The result is simple,X2 4200+ wins the most of the topics.

And also a test betweenE6700(using INTEL 965) and FX-62:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20060812/e...

August 13, 2006 7:09:06 PM

Quote:
What a staged load of crap, this should be taken the with the same level of skepticism as when Intel stages their benchmarks.

Maybe the same with the Turion test.We can find out from all the third's test that E6300 equals about X2 4400+.
August 13, 2006 7:10:04 PM

Uh OH 8O

I see flame war.

I'm not getting involved in this one. Brings back memories of the conroes benches.

Too bad i can't read what the FX-62/ E6700 one was cuz that woulda been interesting too see. :wink:
Related resources
August 13, 2006 7:14:10 PM

It looked like a SuperPi or something similar test, which the E6700 beat the FX-62 by 3 seconds.

As for the pictures shown, looking at the website, why would they cover up the entire processor section of the competing testbed with a page listing what might be the configuration specs?

Or were they both AMD setups, and the intel setup was hidden from view?
August 13, 2006 7:15:17 PM

Quote:
Uh OH 8O

I see flame war.

I'm not getting involved in this one. Brings back memories of the conroes benches.

Too bad i can't read what the FX-62/ E6700 one was cuz that woulda been interesting too see. :wink:

AMD'S E6700 runs super pi 1M at 29s,who can believe that?maybe somebody else can post their E6700's result.
August 13, 2006 7:17:26 PM

Well,

Looks like 9 inch has a new puppet.

Gee, I wonder why AMD chose to do this in Japan, and not the States.

Well, at least they didnt do it Kreplakistan
August 13, 2006 7:27:22 PM

Quote:
Uh OH 8O

I see flame war.

AMD'S E6700 runs super pi 1M at 29s,who can believe that?maybe somebody else can post their E6700's result.

Um...E6700 is not an AMD product, you know.

PlanetX64 SuperPi testing

SuperPi 32M Single Run
X6800 E6700 FX-62 X2 5000+
XP Pro 18:39.984 19:56.188 27:10.007 29:29.344

XP x64 18:23.859 19:28.328 27:15.078 29:38.265
Time in Minutes and Seconds (lower is better)

Figures taken from above website.
August 13, 2006 7:31:16 PM

Quote:
Uh OH 8O

I see flame war.

SuperPi 32M Single Run

I think he meant amd's TEST E6700 :wink:
August 13, 2006 7:43:49 PM

Quote:
Uh OH 8O

I see flame war.

Yea, that number is absurd. A standard E6700 runs at about 20 seconds.

Kinda brings into question some of the other benchmarks.

Honestly, this thread is worthless. Both Intel and AMD manipulate benches to put their products in the best light.
August 13, 2006 7:47:04 PM

Okay.

It just didn't look like that Super Pi was right, if it was Super Pi.

(from Legit Reviews)
Shows a huge advantage, and not even in the 20 second realm.

Staged event? Maybe.
August 13, 2006 7:50:15 PM

:cry: 

Boo!

Your chart is better than mine!

:( 
August 13, 2006 7:58:41 PM

I think your chart proves that nobody believes in AMD anymore :p 
AMDFANBOYS are dead 8)
August 13, 2006 8:07:56 PM

Quote:
AMDFANBOYS are dead 8)

Fanboys NEVER die. Look at the intel fanboys that worshipped the P4 :roll:
August 13, 2006 8:09:42 PM

Quote:
AMDFANBOYS are dead 8)

AMDFANBOYS die :lol:  believe me
August 13, 2006 8:22:16 PM

Quote:
AMDFANBOYS are dead 8)

Hey hey have more faith... I'm still kickin' :wink:
August 13, 2006 8:26:13 PM

Quote:
AMDFANBOYS are dead 8)

If they worshipped the P4, then they need to have their head examined.

hey ya i forgot you only joined here in march 8)

People like ycon and apachelives avidly defended P4's basing these claims on the fact that the world record for clock speed was 7ghz on a P4, and various benches that p4's exceled at, but had no effect on the real world. :roll:
August 14, 2006 7:02:29 AM

Quote:
Uh OH 8O

I see flame war.

Yea, that number is absurd. A standard E6700 runs at about 20 seconds.

Kinda brings into question some of the other benchmarks.

Honestly, this thread is worthless. Both Intel and AMD manipulate benches to put their products in the best light.

Don't need to --- all the results are here:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Collection-Conr...

2.67 GHz Core 2 Duo does super pi in 18.9 seconds. Test was fixed, it was dishonest.AMD set it up..I agree with JACK....it's fixed :tongue: They must have ran the C2D's without HS/F thus they were throttling. :wink:
August 14, 2006 7:27:12 AM

Quote:
What a staged load of crap, this should be taken the with the same level of skepticism as when Intel stages their benchmarks.

Sigh. I can't believe this is JumpingJack's response. We know the performance lead of Core 2 is EXACTLY as Intel said, overall increase is 20%.

We however know Core 2 Duo E6700 doesn't get 29s SuperPI, it gets 19s.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/02/thg_tuning_test/...

Quake 4 gets 26.2% advantage over FX-60, similar margin to IDF tests. Of course the improvement of FX-62 brings the margin of E6700 to FX-62 by over 8%.

Of course, people never compare at the same resolution CPU and video card Intel put at IDF anymore.
August 14, 2006 10:22:20 AM

Quote:

You just think the USA is so superior or important,,, NEWS FLASH they are not where hi tech is concerned.
Tehnology in japan/ASIA is typically months to yrs ahead with new products compared to whats being sold in the USA. Just think of it like the situation with mainland US & Hawaii or Guam. Even Europe gets stuff long before the USA,,, welcome to the world on technology.
August 14, 2006 11:24:32 AM

This looks like a fanboy staged test rather than anything official.

If it is officially endorsed, it's an embarasement and more does more harm than good.
August 14, 2006 11:52:14 AM

Any company that puts out a set of results that show its products performing better than those of the opposition should be viewed with sceptism.

If almost every independent test puts the non overclocked 6300 at around AMD2 4600 performance (UK prices c£140 and c£166 (retail) respectively) and people believe that, AMD might have to reconsider their pricing yet again to remain competitive..and so miraculously in their test the 6300 now performs around the level of the 4200 (UK price c£130) and is beaten back by in in most tests.

Wow..what an amazing coincidence! Or ...not.

I'll take independent benchmarks (and quite a few of them on the various websites I've usefully been pointed to) over a sponsored test any day. Only the foolishly devout can possibly think a CPU company won't sugar coat their own results - and that goes for AMD and Intel imho.

I don't actually care if Core2Duo is shown to be the best or the worst CPU series in the world. But I am not going to automatically believe what I am shown by the people who made it, or the people who compete with them.
August 14, 2006 12:33:02 PM

Quote:
Im not surprised. THG overclocked the X2 3600+ with 256k x 2 cache to 2.6ghz.
It stomped all over the E6300 8O .
The best part is its supposed to be $120 in about 2 weeks.

They didn't overclock the E6300. Tell the full story.
August 14, 2006 12:36:14 PM

Quote:

You just think the USA is so superior or important,,, NEWS FLASH they are not where hi tech is concerned.
Tehnology in japan/ASIA is typically months to yrs ahead with new products compared to whats being sold in the USA. Just think of it like the situation with mainland US & Hawii or Guam. Even Europe gets stuff long before the USA,,, welcome to the world on technology.

The UK gets stuff later tan the US, belive me, take the tv series lost 4 example......
August 14, 2006 12:39:30 PM

Quote:
The UK gets stuff later tan the US, belive me, take the tv series lost 4 example......

That's a poor example though, because Lost is crap.

SG: Atlantis and BSG I could agree on :D 
August 14, 2006 12:45:52 PM

Western civilization likes to capitalize on old technology, why give people newer more powerful products when you can squeeze the pennies out of an obsolete piece of crap. Asia is where all the goodies can be found long before white man get's hold of them.
August 14, 2006 1:08:25 PM

Quote:
Uh OH 8O

I see flame war.

SuperPi 32M Single Run

Thank you for informing me.Maybe that AMD's configured E6700 disabled the L2 cache.I've done this before.When I want to run some dos games of grandpa's level,I just disabled the p4's l2,then the machine runned just like an 80486 SX33.Now thanks DOSBOX,I don't need to enter BIOS to disable L2.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2006 1:13:39 PM

Staged or not, interesting nonetheless...

Meh, who really cares tho...AMD vs Intel, back and forth, back and forth...

Really tho, who cares about the additional 5-10fps you might or might not get with CD2 compared to AMD, especially when most games are getting a minimum of 60fps anyway...who cares if you can rip a DVD a few seconds faster with CD2 compared to AMD, how many more DVD's can you bootleg from Netflix anyway...even the hardcore enthusiasts have to unplug and get a life outside of which processor is better...
August 14, 2006 1:48:47 PM

That's not the point. In anything I buy, and I'm sure it's the same with many others on this board, I want to know that I got the best possible product for my money. It's as simple as that. If I have $300 to spend on a processor, then I will research processors until I'm confident I'm buying the best one for my money. That is why it's discouraging to see biased bechmarks, especially from a manufacturer.
August 14, 2006 1:54:10 PM

Quote:

Tehnology in japan/ASIA is typically months to yrs ahead with new products compared to whats being sold in the USA. Just think of it like the situation with mainland US & Hawii or Guam. Even Europe gets stuff long before the USA,,, welcome to the world on technology.

Oh rllly? I lived in Japan and traveled throughout Asia for about 30% of my adult life, and while I did find that they had lots of stuff not for sale in the US, it was mainly gadgets that no one in their right mind would BUY in the US. Let me sum it up for you, the only things you fellas get before they're released in the US are: Pirated movies (Whole malls full of nothing but in Kota Kinabulu and Brunei), Pirated software (Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong others) and Bird Flu. Congratulations!
August 14, 2006 2:11:39 PM

Quote:
That's not the point. In anything I buy, and I'm sure it's the same with many others on this board, I want to know that I got the best possible product for my money. It's as simple as that. If I have $300 to spend on a processor, then I will research processors until I'm confident I'm buying the best one for my money. That is why it's discouraging to see biased bechmarks, especially from a manufacturer.
That's one of the internet's finest uses-researching before you buy. It's hard to believe the amount of merchandise that we bought "blindly" before the internet became popular. Consumers(not all, but many more) are generally more educated about their purchasing now-a-days. :D 
August 14, 2006 2:15:54 PM

The internet is full of sh!t also so you still have to have some sense to weed out possible truths from rumors or you will just follow other fools & just buy intel no matter what.
August 14, 2006 2:19:44 PM

Quote:
The internet is full of sh!t also so you still have to have some sense to weed out possible truths from rumors or you will just follow other fools & just buy intel no matter what.
That's why you should research many different sites, and if everyone, everywhere is saying that "something" is troublesome, then there's a good chance that it is. You don't just take one or two people's opinion as gospel.
August 14, 2006 2:56:41 PM

Quote:

Tehnology in japan/ASIA is typically months to yrs ahead with new products compared to whats being sold in the USA. Just think of it like the situation with mainland US & Hawaii or Guam. Even Europe gets stuff long before the USA,,, welcome to the world on technology.

You're right, there's stuff in Asia we have never seen and will never see. Most if not all major releases happen there first.
August 14, 2006 3:37:06 PM

You probably lived in a cave or on one of the many of the small islands,,, or maybe you just too much of a **** to notice other things.
August 14, 2006 3:41:13 PM

lol,,,You really consider movies hi tech?
& then that crap that they call reality tv?
Give me a brake.
I will admit you might not get that series as fast as you want it but thats a cost factor. If your stations negotiated to viev it there as its made it would cost too much for your small market. So you just have to wait till it the right price.
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
a c 115 å Intel
August 14, 2006 4:00:52 PM

Quote:

So you are saying people should blindly buy AMD CPUs, while they need to research Intel CPUs?

Of course, the internet is full of sh!t, that's why you need to goto many independant and reputable sites (not blogs) to see if the results are consistant. If people do not have the common sense to weed the possible truths then they should not be making such an important decision without help.

For the most part all the hardware sites have had consistant reviews of Conroe. One hardware site that many people are aware of that contradicts all the other hardware review sites is [H]ardopc. People mostly scan though the benchmarks without reading through the entire review.

This is a link to [H]ardopc's infamous review.

Quote:

The ONLY difference that we experienced is that we did have to lower a couple of settings with the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 platform compared to the Intel platforms. This was the internal and external shadows. Luckily, the shadow sliders there are “notched” so it is easy to know exactly what position they are in. With the Intel CPUs, we were able to have this 5 notches up, which is in the middle of the slider for those shadow options. When we tried these same settings on the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 platform, we found performance to be overall lower than the Intel CPUs and not playable. By moving those sliders down a couple of notches to 3 notches on the slider, performance was now playable.

The difference in graphics quality is minor though between notch 3 and 5. We noticed that some objects cast shadows farther in the distance as we approached them with the slider at notch 5. We also noticed that at extreme angles when viewing in third person view zoomed all the way out the character was casting a shadow in more places than with notch 3. That’s all we noticed between the slider positions.

Otherwise, all three CPUs played well at 1280x1024 with no AA/16X AF and HDR enabled. The graph shows that with the settings tested the CPUs are dead even. The average framerate confirms it with each hovering at a 39 FPS average framerate.

If people were to just look the the benchmarks they would have missed the important information hidden in the actual review because the benchmark graphs do not make any attempt to inform the reader that the Oblivion settings for AMD's Althlon FX-62 were lowered.

The fact that you specifically stated

Quote:

...you will just follow other fools & just buy intel no matter what.

suggests that you do not have an impartial of opinion about CPUs. If you bothered to read any reviews, who would have noticed that almost all reviews have agreed that Core 2 Duo is better than the Athlon 64 X2. AMD has realized this as well because they cut the prices of their CPUs recently to compete against Core 2 Duo. That may change when K8L comes out, it doesn't exist yet.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2006 4:05:45 PM

Quote:

Actually, I think I'm on point, that article is just another corporate sponsored and biased benchmark study to promote marketing hype and propoganda. So again; meh, who cares. However...

I agree, to be a good consumer, research is key to ensure that you purchase the best product for your money. But what's best? A product that has the minimum specs to meet your needs? Or, a product that forums, benchmarks, and fanboys say is the best? We all want to be good consumers, dont' we? But, I don't think you have to spend $300 on any products unless you choose to.

I'd venture a guess that without the influence of these forums, benchmarks, and marketing hype, any processor currently available off the retails shelf would be the "best" for your needs. But, given the input from these forums, benchmarks, and articles, your perception of what is "best" is altered along with your purchasing decision making process and your buying habits.

But then again, that is the point of these articles, to influence your purchasing decision making process, one way or the other.
August 14, 2006 4:26:50 PM

What a frikkin load of crap!!!!

Core 2 4 Life!!!!!!
August 14, 2006 4:35:18 PM

Quote:

Actually, I think I'm on point, that article is just another corporate sponsored and biased benchmark study to promote marketing hype and propoganda. So again; meh, who cares. However...

I agree, to be a good consumer, research is key to ensure that you purchase the best product for your money. But what's best? A product that has the minimum specs to meet your needs? Or, a product that forums, benchmarks, and fanboys say is the best? We all want to be good consumers, dont' we? But, I don't think you have to spend $300 on any products unless you choose to.

I'd venture a guess that without the influence of these forums, benchmarks, and marketing hype, any processor currently available off the retails shelf would be the "best" for your needs. But, given the input from these forums, benchmarks, and articles, your perception of what is "best" is altered along with your purchasing decision making process and your buying habits.

But then again, that is the point of these articles, to influence your purchasing decision making process, one way or the other.
My point was I want to make sure I'm getting the best processor for my money. Simple as that. Even if it is a few FPS different, I want the best performing processor within whatever budget I set. In order to do this, I need to know how processors perform compared to their competition. So even though it might be a few more FPS or a few less seconds burning a DVD, it does matter, because that's how consumers determine the best processor they can get for their money. Shit like this AMD test cloud things up for consumers.
August 14, 2006 5:05:48 PM

Quote:

Oh rllly? I lived in Japan and traveled throughout Asia for about 30% of my adult life, and while I did find that they had lots of stuff not for sale in the US, it was mainly gadgets that no one in their right mind would BUY in the US. Let me sum it up for you, the only things you fellas get before they're released in the US are: Pirated movies (Whole malls full of nothing but in Kota Kinabulu and Brunei), Pirated software (Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong others) and Bird Flu. Congratulations!

Very true. It also has to do with the difference in culture. Japanese and Asian people like high tech toys that are small and roll a lot of functionality into one device. Americans aren't as into it. We like bigger things for the most part. Because most Americans like to show off and brag(sad but true).

For some things it also has to do with established infrastructures. Its a lot harder to adopt something when your country has had something else for 40-50 years. And stuff like our power and internet lines are privately owned so the government can't just go in and upgrade them to a unified newer standard(sometimes I wish our government would take control of it all).

Like he said a lot of the stuff we never see or don't see for a while are niche markets. Do most Americans care about (or would they even trust) a cell phone that lets you buy things with a swipe of your finger? Probably not. But the company I currently work for makes a good amount of money making fingerprint sensors that go on cell phones and thats one of the things they're used for. I know the phone makers haven't had great success with those phones either.
August 14, 2006 5:38:06 PM

Quote:
(sometimes I wish our government would take control of it all).

Are you crazy?
August 14, 2006 5:51:28 PM

Whaatt? I never thought AMD would sink this low... 29secs with a E6700? That's a HUGE discrepancy. Atleast the benchmarks done at IDF were consistent with 3rd party reviews.

That moron Hector Ruiz must be desperate as hell.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2006 6:02:45 PM

Quote:
For some things it also has to do with established infrastructures. Its a lot harder to adopt something when your country has had something else for 40-50 years. And stuff like our power and internet lines are privately owned so the government can't just go in and upgrade them to a unified newer standard(sometimes I wish our government would take control of it all).

True, an existing infrastructure is more difficult and costly to upgrade than established systems. This is even more so for the power and internet infrastructure. Fact is, there is no "newer" standard for power and internet. The standard for the past 120 years for power/communications infrastructure has not changed, it still follows the same model as designed by Thomas Edison and the General Electric Company. The power/data must be created/generated, transformed, transmitted, and metered. The only innovations to power and internet have been in the material used to transmit the power or data, with stranded copper cables as the example for power and fiber optic cables for internet/data/communications.

Above all else, we do not want the government to take control of the power/data communications. Ironically, it is often Local and State governments that stand in the way of infrastructure upgrades and it isn't until some catastrophe, like the mid-west black out two years ago or Hurricane Katrina, that any attention is given to upgrading infrastructure and people are forced into addressing the problem.
August 14, 2006 6:12:38 PM

Quote:

Hey hey have more faith... I'm still kickin' :wink:

Well, being that you are 15 (judging by your posts), I'm sure you have a long life ahead of you!
August 14, 2006 6:40:37 PM

Quote:

NEWSFLASH

That is not what I said, by any stretch of the imagination.
Please, direct me to the precise location within my post where I made the asinine assumption:
Quote:
You just think the USA is so superior or important
you have accused me of making.

Cant find it? Of course you cant, because it isnt there, as I said no such thing. That is what you interpreted my statement as. Incidentally, your interpretation makes a statement about you
When an individual interprets non catagorical statements as assigning objective values, it usually indicates that individual has some form issue with their own self value.

If you don’t know what I mean, or feel one of my posts is cryptic, ask, Ill be glad to explain, but please don’t pull your words out of your arse and stick them in my mouth. They taste bad.
Now, to explain the comment so you can understand.

I don’t believe AMD had the sac to do the tests in the US or Canada, as North America is the largest consumer of their products. I suspect they realized they would have had their arses ridiculed most spectacularly as so many published tests have already conclusively shown that the Core 2 Uarch out performs the AM2 Uarch.

You, as a poster and reader here at THG must have seen at least some of the X2 vs Core 2 threads and benchmarks here. What do you think would have happened had the headline read "AMD makes first public test of X2 vs Core 2 in NYC" What do you think would have happened had AMD then published those results in North America? Every tech site, every blog, every forum (Except MMM and Sharikoupoop) in North America would have been on them like vultures on roadkill, tearing them to pieces. I wont even modify that sentence with the word "likely". I will leave that sentence as is, a hard statement.

Why Japan? I can only guess, but I suspect AMD chose Japan as a much smaller consumer market to test public response, and to see how an informed public (which Japan is) would respond to that load of crap.

If you read the rest of the post, you would have seen the name of a fictional country, Kreplakistan. People use this to imply "no where", which is where AMD would have been better off doing those tests publicly. In other words, AMD shouldnt have done the test publicly, as it could seriously damage their reputation, Brainless Hordes notwithstanding.

Quote:

Right..Need I remind you where Conroe was designed? It wasn’t Japan or Asia. And don’t bother with the fab argument. Fabs are manufacturing, not R&D.
August 14, 2006 6:43:50 PM

Quote:
Im not surprised. THG overclocked the X2 3600+ with 256k x 2 cache to 2.6ghz.
It stomped all over the E6300 8O .
The best part is its supposed to be $120 in about 2 weeks.

They didn't overclock the E6300. Tell the full story.

Hell, why should Mike stop taking information out of context now? He's gotten so good at it.

Peace
August 14, 2006 7:56:15 PM

Quote:

where do get off bringing reason to this topic?who made you the lord of sanity ,gary?
this is corvette guys day dream,and if you persist he wont wake up with a mess to contend with.
my gawd im bad :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

What are you saying.... taht i believe these benchmarks?

obviously they are faked or stretched in some way, well at least the FX-62 one. Probably the other one too, but i won't talk about that any more. All Gary said was what i said in my other thread, but i guess in a different way since he didn't get flamed. :wink:

And oh ya .... ALLHELL CALM THE FRACK DOWN BUDDY. PREACH YOUR ANTI AMERICAN CRAP SOMEWHERE ELSE :!: :twisted:
August 14, 2006 7:57:51 PM

DOWN WITH THE GREAT SATAN!!!1!1!11
August 14, 2006 8:37:07 PM

Quote:

america is a fleeting nostalgia any way,just as other countries are.
when the borders of the world are broken down most will be happy there is no seperate countries.
there are people who will sell the idea because segregation of national interests is the worlds leading cause of strife.
it is the agenda of the most influential monetary powers in the world,to destroy all borders,and we are currently bieng desensitized to caring about which country is which.
look at it for what it is.Iraq was a move that disrespected the religious content of an entire race.and there is no way to win without destroying all persons involved in that religion.
any more borders represent a nostalgic notion more than a right in world opinion ,this is exemplified by our desire to eradicate all other potentially nuclear force.
you cant have a one world order that has segments or countries who can effectively defend themselves.

Just because crystal meth can keep you up for eight days straight doesn't mean it's good for you.
Synergy6
August 14, 2006 8:37:51 PM

YOU calm down, i was just joking :lol: 

I really got to work on my lauging wording instead of DIE BITCH tone :p 
!