Event ID: 5774
Date: 16/07/2004
Time: 12:17:36
User: N/A
Computer: NEWDC
Registration of the DNS record 'd02956dd-e532-46b8-a174-
5b5f50759a48._msdcs.dominio.corp. 600 IN CNAME
newdc.subdominio.dominio.corp.' failed with the following
error:
DNS bad key.
Data:
0000: 39 23 00 00 9#..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5774
Date: 16/07/2004
Time: 12:17:36
User: N/A
Computer: NEWDC
Registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.54668727-5f5d-
4ba7-8484-fe86a2659159.domains._msdcs.dominio.corp. 600
IN SRV 0 100 389 newdc.subdominio.dominio.corp.' failed
with the following error:
DNS bad key.
Data:
0000: 39 23 00 00 9#..

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\dcdiag /test:connectivity /s:newdc

Domain Controller Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Site-SITIO\NEWDC
Starting test: Connectivity
d02956dd-e532-46b8-a174-
5b5f50759a48._msdcs.dominio.corp's server GUI
D DNS name could not be resolved to an
IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server
name, etc
Although the Guid DNS name
(d02956dd-e532-46b8-a174-
5b5f50759a48._msdcs.dominio.corp) couldn't
be resolved, the server name
(newdc.subdominio.dominio.corp) resolved to
the IP address (x.x.x.253) and was pingable.
Check that the IP
address is registered correctly with the DNS
server.
......................... NEWDC failed test
Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Site-SITIO\NEWDC

Running enterprise tests on : dominio.corp

..
15 answers Last reply
More about netlogon 5774 help

    In news:ON6wC1KcEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Fer <sarednabNOSPAM@terra.es> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Currently, I have 2 DC in a subdomain, both Global
    > Catalog and DNS server, containing a forward lookup zone
    > (AD integrated) subdomain.domain.corp delegated from
    > parent domain and allowing dynamic updates. Both DNS
    > clients point to itself. No replication problems,
    > automatic and forced. Now the problem, when I run dcpromo
    > in a new server (NEWDC) everything goes ok, but then,
    > when I reboot NEWDC, error events appear, NETLOGON 5774,
    > and replications fail, automatic a forced, KCC warning id
    > 1265 and error 1311 appear in both domain controllers.
    > Run dcdiag in NEWDC and fails in connectivity test.
    > Reports below. Any suggestions?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Is the newdc pointing to the first DC as the preferred DNS then itself as
    alternate?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in

    > In news:ON6wC1KcEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Fer <sarednabNOSPAM@terra.es> posted a question
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> Currently, I have 2 DC in a subdomain, both Global
    >> Catalog and DNS server, containing a forward lookup zone
    >> (AD integrated) subdomain.domain.corp delegated from
    >> parent domain and allowing dynamic updates. Both DNS
    >> clients point to itself. No replication problems,
    >> automatic and forced. Now the problem, when I run dcpromo
    >> in a new server (NEWDC) everything goes ok, but then,
    >> when I reboot NEWDC, error events appear, NETLOGON 5774,
    >> and replications fail, automatic a forced, KCC warning id
    >> 1265 and error 1311 appear in both domain controllers.
    >> Run dcdiag in NEWDC and fails in connectivity test.
    >> Reports below. Any suggestions?
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Is the newdc pointing to the first DC as the preferred DNS then itself
    > as alternate?

    Kevin

    Yes, it points to the PDC. There is no DNS server service running in
    NEWDC. As alternate points to the other DC.

    Thanks for reply.

    In news:%23h2VqEPcEHA.308@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Fer <sarednabNOSPAM@terra.es> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:

    > Yes, it points to the PDC. There is no DNS server service
    > running in NEWDC. As alternate points to the other DC.

    Ok so this is a third DC in the child domain?

    Did you run netdiag /fix?
    Can you post the results from nediag /test:dns /v
    And ipconfig /all

    --

    > Ok so this is a third DC in the child domain?
    >
    > Did you run netdiag /fix?
    > Can you post the results from nediag /test:dns /v
    > And ipconfig /all

    Yes, this is the third DC in the site, there are two more DC in other
    sites in the same subdomain with the same problem, all of them
    promoted to DC later than the two conflicting DCs, the only ones that
    works ok.

    netdiag /fix was run in all DC but did not fix the problem.

    Now I can not post any test because I won't have access to DCs until
    monday, but netdiag /test:dns failed too.

    As soon as I have the results, they will be posted. I have used
    static IP configuration.

    Thanks.

    In news:Xns9530ADB2CCEC6sarednabNOSPAMterrae@207.46.248.16,
    Fer <sarednabNOSPAM@terra.es> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Yes, this is the third DC in the site, there are two more
    > DC in other sites in the same subdomain with the same
    > problem, all of them promoted to DC later than the two
    > conflicting DCs, the only ones that works ok.
    >
    > netdiag /fix was run in all DC but did not fix the
    > problem.
    >
    > Now I can not post any test because I won't have access
    > to DCs until monday, but netdiag /test:dns failed too.
    >
    > As soon as I have the results, they will be posted. I
    > have used static IP configuration.

    I have spent quite a bit of time researching this, and have come to the
    conclusion that I'm missing something somewhere. I think the key to
    resolving this is to find the "Bad key" noted in the error.
    I;m not sure what this "Bad key" is but is this the entire event? Are there
    any other events listed in the log?
    Is the DHCP client service running?
    Is the zone using "Secure updates only"?
    If so if you set dynamic updates to "Yes" and restart the netlogon service
    is it able to register the records?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
    issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
    email. ==========================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:e5Pu7rbcEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> asked for help and I
    offered my suggestions below:
    > I have spent quite a bit of time researching this, and have come to
    > the conclusion that I'm missing something somewhere. I think the key
    > to resolving this is to find the "Bad key" noted in the error.
    > I;m not sure what this "Bad key" is but is this the entire event? Are
    > there any other events listed in the log?
    > Is the DHCP client service running?
    > Is the zone using "Secure updates only"?
    > If so if you set dynamic updates to "Yes" and restart the netlogon
    > service is it able to register the records?

    I've seen this come up after upgrading service packs. I've fixed it by
    saving a copy of the zone, reinstalling DNS and re-creating the zone and
    using my orginal zone files. Not sure why it occurs, and I don';t see it
    occuring all the time, but just once in awhile.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > In news:e5Pu7rbcEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> asked for help
    > and I offered my suggestions below:
    > I've seen this come up after upgrading service packs. I've fixed it by
    > saving a copy of the zone, reinstalling DNS and re-creating the zone
    > and using my orginal zone files. Not sure why it occurs, and I don';t
    > see it occuring all the time, but just once in awhile.

    Thanks for reply.

    Servers were installed with a copy of W2000 CD SP4 integrated, but if it
    looks like a similar failure, the same process should be successful.
    Please, could you tell me how did you fixed it? more in detail, what
    tools did you use? I am working with delegated subzones
    (subdomain.domain.corp),must root domain admin delegate it again?, which
    DC must I choose to make it? and, the most important, Is it a safe
    procedure?

    It could be a Kerberos Authentication Protocol or KDC failure?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in

    > I have spent quite a bit of time researching this, and have come to
    > the conclusion that I'm missing something somewhere. I think the key
    > to resolving this is to find the "Bad key" noted in the error.
    > I;m not sure what this "Bad key" is but is this the entire event? Are
    > there any other events listed in the log?

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: NTDS KCC
    Event Category: (1)
    Event ID: 1134
    Date: 21/07/2004
    Time: 14:32:31
    User: N/A
    Computer: NEWDC
    The ntdsConnection object CN="dc001
    CNF:22978f36-0632-4f26-9a17-5605feb7f215",CN=NTDS
    Settings,CN=NEWDC,CN=Servers,CN=Site-
    SITE,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=corp is configured for the
    same source server as CN=dc001,CN=NTDS
    Settings,CN=NEWDC,CN=Servers,CN=Site-
    SITE,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=corp and will be ignored.
    Please use the Active Directory Sites and Services tool to modify or
    delete one of these objects.

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: NtFrs
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 13562
    Date: 27/07/2004
    Time: 16:01:12
    User: N/A
    Computer: NEWDC
    Following is the summary of warnings and errors encountered by File
    Replication Service while polling the Domain Controller
    NEWDC.subdomain.domain.corp for FRS replica set configuration
    information.

    The nTDSConnection object cn=dc001,cn=ntds
    settings,cn=NEWDC,cn=servers,cn=site-
    SITE,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=domain,dc=corp is conflicting with cn=
    244c63b9-9043-4318-94ae-20d27ce6267d,cn=ntds
    settings,cn=NEWDC,cn=servers,cn=site-
    SITE,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=domain,dc=corp. Using cn=dc001,cn=ntds
    settings,cn=NEWDC,cn=servers,cn=site-
    SITE,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=domain,dc=corp

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: w32time
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 11
    Date: 26/07/2004
    Time: 18:49:02
    User: N/A
    Computer: NEWDC
    The NTP server \\dc002.subdomain.domain.corp didn't respond
    Data:
    0000: 46 27 00 00 F'..

    > Is the DHCP client service running?
    No

    > Is the zone using "Secure updates only"?

    No, dynamic updates

    > If so if you set dynamic updates to "Yes" and restart the netlogon
    > service is it able to register the records?

    Even restarting the server, no
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    The DHCP Client service MUST BE RUNNING. There is no way around this,
    othewise DNS resolution and registration will not work. Enable it and see
    what happens. This service is tied into the DNS APIs for functionality
    whether the machine is set with a static Ip or DHCP. Required service.
    Please enable it and test it.

    Ace

    "Fer" <sarednabNOSPAM@terra.es> wrote in message
    > "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in
    >
    > > I have spent quite a bit of time researching this, and have come to
    > > the conclusion that I'm missing something somewhere. I think the key
    > > to resolving this is to find the "Bad key" noted in the error.
    > > I;m not sure what this "Bad key" is but is this the entire event? Are
    > > there any other events listed in the log?
    >
    > Event Type: Warning
    > Event Source: NTDS KCC
    > Event Category: (1)
    > Event ID: 1134
    > Date: 21/07/2004
    > Time: 14:32:31
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: NEWDC
    > The ntdsConnection object CN="dc001
    > CNF:22978f36-0632-4f26-9a17-5605feb7f215",CN=NTDS
    > Settings,CN=NEWDC,CN=Servers,CN=Site-
    > SITE,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=corp is configured for the
    > same source server as CN=dc001,CN=NTDS
    > Settings,CN=NEWDC,CN=Servers,CN=Site-
    > SITE,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=corp and will be ignored.
    > Please use the Active Directory Sites and Services tool to modify or
    > delete one of these objects.
    >
    > Event Type: Warning
    > Event Source: NtFrs
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 13562
    > Date: 27/07/2004
    > Time: 16:01:12
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: NEWDC
    > Following is the summary of warnings and errors encountered by File
    > Replication Service while polling the Domain Controller
    > NEWDC.subdomain.domain.corp for FRS replica set configuration
    > information.
    >
    > The nTDSConnection object cn=dc001,cn=ntds
    > settings,cn=NEWDC,cn=servers,cn=site-
    > SITE,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=domain,dc=corp is conflicting with cn=
    > 244c63b9-9043-4318-94ae-20d27ce6267d,cn=ntds
    > settings,cn=NEWDC,cn=servers,cn=site-
    > SITE,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=domain,dc=corp. Using cn=dc001,cn=ntds
    > settings,cn=NEWDC,cn=servers,cn=site-
    > SITE,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=domain,dc=corp
    >

    > Event Type: Warning
    > Event Source: w32time
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 11
    > Date: 26/07/2004
    > Time: 18:49:02
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: NEWDC
    > The NTP server \\dc002.subdomain.domain.corp didn't respond
    > Data:
    > 0000: 46 27 00 00 F'..
    >

    > > Is the DHCP client service running?
    > No
    >
    > > Is the zone using "Secure updates only"?
    >
    > No, dynamic updates
    >
    > > If so if you set dynamic updates to "Yes" and restart the netlogon
    > > service is it able to register the records?
    >
    > Even restarting the server, no

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" <firstnamelastname@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > The DHCP Client service MUST BE RUNNING. There is no way around this,
    > othewise DNS resolution and registration will not work. Enable it and see
    > what happens. This service is tied into the DNS APIs for functionality
    > whether the machine is set with a static Ip or DHCP. Required service.
    > Please enable it and test it.
    >
    > Ace

    Sorry, I was trying to say that there was not DHCP server running, that all
    ip address were static. But I have never tested if it was enabled, I think
    it must be enabled by default. I'll check it.

    Thanks.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:ewDbf7LdEHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Fer <sarednabNOSPAM@terra.es> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
    below:
    > Sorry, I was trying to say that there was not DHCP server running,
    > that all ip address were static. But I have never tested if it was
    > enabled, I think it must be enabled by default. I'll check it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Ok, no prob? Just go into the Services console and see if its started, then
    test to see if replication will work and if the errors disappear.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:OKG7cwKdEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Fer <sarednabNOSPAM@terra.es> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
    below:
    > "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    > <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> In news:e5Pu7rbcEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> asked for help
    >> and I offered my suggestions below:
    >> I've seen this come up after upgrading service packs. I've fixed it
    >> by saving a copy of the zone, reinstalling DNS and re-creating the
    >> zone and using my orginal zone files. Not sure why it occurs, and I
    >> don';t see it occuring all the time, but just once in awhile.
    >>

    > Thanks for reply.
    >
    > Servers were installed with a copy of W2000 CD SP4 integrated, but if
    > it looks like a similar failure, the same process should be
    > successful. Please, could you tell me how did you fixed it? more in
    > detail, what tools did you use? I am working with delegated subzones
    > (subdomain.domain.corp),must root domain admin delegate it again?,
    > which DC must I choose to make it? and, the most important, Is it a
    > safe procedure?
    >
    > It could be a Kerberos Authentication Protocol or KDC failure?

    Well, what I did was changed the zone on one of the DC/DNS servers to a
    Primary zone.
    Then I saved a copy of the domainname.dns file from system32\dns folder.
    Then I removed DNS off this machine from Add/Remove - WIndows components.
    Then I went to the other machine and deleted the zone.
    THen went back to the first machine and reinstalled DNS.
    Then I recreated the zone, and made it AD Integrated.
    Then I went back to the other machine and created the zone and made it AD
    Integrated.
    Errors were gone.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Ok, no prob? Just go into the Services console and see if its started,
    > then test to see if replication will work and if the errors disappear.

    The DHCP client service is started as I supposed. I must try another
    solution.

    Thanks.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Well, what I did was changed the zone on one of the DC/DNS servers to
    > a Primary zone.
    > Then I saved a copy of the domainname.dns file from system32\dns
    > folder. Then I removed DNS off this machine from Add/Remove - WIndows
    > components. Then I went to the other machine and deleted the zone.
    > THen went back to the first machine and reinstalled DNS.
    > Then I recreated the zone, and made it AD Integrated.
    > Then I went back to the other machine and created the zone and made it
    > AD Integrated.
    > Errors were gone.

    Ok, I´ll try this procedure, but I have doubts about the fact of
    deleting a subzone with delegated management from root domain zone, what
    do you think about? Must enterprise administrator delegate it again?

    Thanks.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:%23ryyPqidEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Fer <sarednabNOSPAM@terra.es> asked for help and I offered my suggestions
    below:
    > Ok, I´ll try this procedure, but I have doubts about the fact of
    > deleting a subzone with delegated management from root domain zone,
    > what do you think about? Must enterprise administrator delegate it
    > again?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Its really no harm since you;re recreating the zone. If you had a
    delegation, yes, it needs to be recreated, but its only a couple steps. Let
    us know how you make out.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace