DNS server dropping A and PTR records

I have 4 Win2K servers, one a PDC on domain.com and the other
3 as BDC [child] sub1.domain.com, sub2 and sub3 similarly. I can
see all the PTR records for the various servers and domain names
and A records [hosting approx 40 domains] on one BDC server,
but nearly all of the PTR records are not listed in the DNS server
window. If I re-create the PTR records, sometimes they "exist"
already, other times they don't. I have all my A records set not to
expire and I don't have auto-scavenging set. Any ideas?

It may or may not be related but I am experiencing AD replication
problems which I am fighting, all servers are in a single site, and
I think I have all the SRV records in each of the 4 server's DNS.
Unfortunately, when I added the BCDs one at a time over a period
of weeks / months, they didn't automatically create their respective
entries.

Also, for the 4 servers only, some of the A [host] records are being
deleted. Servername.sub?,domain.com are all fine but the blank A
record without the 'servername' are constantly being deleted, not
just dropped - they're definitely not there when re-created.

The reason for the above config is that all 4 servers are nameservers
on the internet and have external IP addresses, but they also have a
second NIC for the internal IP address. My goal is to have the
servername.sub?.domain.com on internal IP addresses, and the
sub?.domain.com for the public nameservers / MX records etc.

I'd appreciate any hints, running out of ideas here :-)
2 answers Last reply
More about server dropping records

    In news:OK2glpNcEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Phil <philmarshcz@netscape.net> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I have 4 Win2K servers, one a PDC on domain.com and the
    > other 3 as BDC [child] sub1.domain.com, sub2 and sub3
    > similarly. I can
    > see all the PTR records for the various servers and
    > domain names
    > and A records [hosting approx 40 domains] on one BDC
    > server,
    > but nearly all of the PTR records are not listed in the
    > DNS server window. If I re-create the PTR records,
    > sometimes they "exist" already, other times they don't. I
    > have all my A records set not to expire and I don't have
    > auto-scavenging set. Any ideas?
    >
    > It may or may not be related but I am experiencing AD
    > replication problems which I am fighting, all servers are
    > in a single site, and I think I have all the SRV records
    > in each of the 4 server's DNS. Unfortunately, when I
    > added the BCDs one at a time over a period
    > of weeks / months, they didn't automatically create their
    > respective entries.
    >
    > Also, for the 4 servers only, some of the A [host]
    > records are being deleted. Servername.sub?,domain.com are
    > all fine but the blank A record without the 'servername'
    > are constantly being deleted, not just dropped - they're
    > definitely not there when re-created.
    >
    > The reason for the above config is that all 4 servers are
    > nameservers on the internet and have external IP
    > addresses, but they also have a second NIC for the
    > internal IP address. My goal is to have the
    > servername.sub?.domain.com on internal IP addresses, and
    > the sub?.domain.com for the public nameservers / MX
    > records etc.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any hints, running out of ideas here :-)

    First there is no such thing as a BDC in Win2k, there are only DCs. There is
    one server in each domain that holds the PDC FSMO role, in addition there is
    also a RID master and a Infrastructure master in _each_ domain. The child
    domain has three FSMO masters, too. Then there are two more operations
    masters, the Schema and Naming Master that are forest wide.
    That said it is very risky of only have one DC in parent domain. That means
    that it in addition to the PDC Role it also holds the RID master, the
    infrastructure master in its domain, plus the Domain naming master role and
    the schema master role for the forest. If it goes down and cannot be
    repaired, you will lose everything in both domains, because the child domain
    cannot exist without the parent domain. If you lose the parent DC the parent
    domain is gone. I would highly suggest you add a replica DC to the forest
    root ASAP.

    Now here is what I would do in your situation, In fact, it is exactly what I
    do I have two forest root DCs, and two child DCs. The Forest root DCs do all
    DNS for the local network, all DCs and clients even the child DCs use the
    forest root DCs for DNS. My child DCs have DNS on them to but, they are used
    exclusively for all my public zones, there are no private zones or private
    records on the child DCs and none of my internal machines use them for DNS.
    The child DCs hold all user and computer accounts for all users.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Thanks Kevin, yes my terminology is off. I know where to check the FSMO,
    RID etc so will check that and I agree, the way I have it setup at the moment
    is too exposed to risk. Thanks for the pointer. Phil

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] wrote:
    [snip]
    > First there is no such thing as a BDC in Win2k, there are only DCs. There is
    > one server in each domain that holds the PDC FSMO role, in addition there is
    > also a RID master and a Infrastructure master in _each_ domain. The child
    > domain has three FSMO masters, too. Then there are two more operations
    > masters, the Schema and Naming Master that are forest wide.
    > That said it is very risky of only have one DC in parent domain. That means
    > that it in addition to the PDC Role it also holds the RID master, the
    > infrastructure master in its domain, plus the Domain naming master role and
    > the schema master role for the forest. If it goes down and cannot be
    > repaired, you will lose everything in both domains, because the child domain
    > cannot exist without the parent domain. If you lose the parent DC the parent
    > domain is gone. I would highly suggest you add a replica DC to the forest
    > root ASAP.
    >
    > Now here is what I would do in your situation, In fact, it is exactly what I
    > do I have two forest root DCs, and two child DCs. The Forest root DCs do all
    > DNS for the local network, all DCs and clients even the child DCs use the
    > forest root DCs for DNS. My child DCs have DNS on them to but, they are used
    > exclusively for all my public zones, there are no private zones or private
    > records on the child DCs and none of my internal machines use them for DNS.
    > The child DCs hold all user and computer accounts for all users.

Domain DNS Server Servers Windows