web site not resolving to IP

David

I cannot get a site I develop to load when I use RoadRunner High-speed
connection, but can see it with RoadRunner Dial-up. This started
sometime thrusday afternnoon: 07/22/04. I can see the site from my
neighbor's DSL connection, and from my work pc. when I ping it, while
connected with RR-High Speed, it says: Unknown host. If I ping it
while using RR-Dial-up, it resolves the IP fine. When I checked the
dial-up DNS names against the High-speed DNS names, they have some of
the same entries, but the dial-up does have additional ones not in the
high-speed. Some of the help-desk people at RoadRunner can see the
site, and others cannot. My web hosting provider advised they can
see the site, and that there are no IP blocks of any kind. the web
hosting provider is nomonthlyfees. I've had them for about 4 years,
and not had many issues. They believe it is a DNS issue with
RoadRunner, however Roadrunner is saying it is the hosting company who
likely has IP blocks, or a firewall issue. The way I see it is that
if I can see it from Roadrunner dial-up, but not RoadRunner
High-speed, then it seams almost certainly a Roadrunner issue.

Note, even when using Roadrunner High-speed, even though I cannot see
the site in question, I can see any other site, such as google, yahoo,
ebay, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas?

In news:df68c3e.0407231316.37bf9fa2@posting.google.com,
david <david@wdsrc.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I cannot get a site I develop to load when I use
> RoadRunner High-speed connection, but can see it with
> RoadRunner Dial-up. This started sometime thrusday
> afternnoon: 07/22/04. I can see the site from my
> neighbor's DSL connection, and from my work pc. when I
> ping it, while connected with RR-High Speed, it says:
> Unknown host. If I ping it while using RR-Dial-up, it
> resolves the IP fine. When I checked the dial-up DNS
> names against the High-speed DNS names, they have some of
> the same entries, but the dial-up does have additional
> ones not in the high-speed. Some of the help-desk people
> at RoadRunner can see the site, and others cannot. My
> web hosting provider advised they can see the site, and
> that there are no IP blocks of any kind. the web hosting
> provider is nomonthlyfees. I've had them for about 4
> years, and not had many issues. They believe it is a DNS
> issue with RoadRunner, however Roadrunner is saying it is
> the hosting company who likely has IP blocks, or a
> firewall issue. The way I see it is that if I can see it
> from Roadrunner dial-up, but not RoadRunner High-speed,
> then it seams almost certainly a Roadrunner issue.
>
> Note, even when using Roadrunner High-speed, even though
> I cannot see the site in question, I can see any other
> site, such as google, yahoo, ebay, etc.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Can nslookup resolve the name?
Are both of these connections on the same machine?

You have not provided any information that would convince me it is a DNS
issue.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

David

Yes, both connection are on the same pc.
If I use my dial-up, it can connect an resolve the name.
If I use my cable modem, its a no go.

As far as the nslookup, how do I check that?

sorry, I'm a software developer, not an MCSE type.
Hopefully, you guys can help me figure this out.

Both my ISP, and the hosting company say its the other's fault, and I
am not getting any where.

David

In news:df68c3e.0407231921.5db5c6a0@posting.google.com,
david <david@wdsrc.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Yes, both connection are on the same pc.
> If I use my dial-up, it can connect an resolve the name.
> If I use my cable modem, its a no go.
>
> As far as the nslookup, how do I check that?

In a command prompt type nslookup and hit enter.
Then type in the FQDN of the site and hit enter, it should return the IP of
the website.

> sorry, I'm a software developer, not an MCSE type.
> Hopefully, you guys can help me figure this out.
>
> Both my ISP, and the hosting company say its the other's
> fault, and I
> am not getting any where.

Most of the time ping will tell you if you can connect to the site, but some
sites are just not pingable. I would suspect that since you can connect to
some sites but not this one that this could be a routing issue or a Firewall
issue. If nslookup is able to resolve the name then it isn't DNS and I would
only be lucky to resolve your issue. I can only give it a shot.
You could try to ping the IP of the site, then try pinging the IP of the
site with a larger packet size. You could also check the MTU, I've seen MTU
problems that would keep you from connecting to some sites because to many
packets get dropped.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

d> This started sometime thrusday afternnoon: 07/22/04.

And since you've posted within less than 24 hours, this is very probably
the same old "I haven't waited the TTL period for the previous negative
entries to expire from the cache of the proxy DNS server." problem as
often occurs.

d> when I ping it, while connected with RR-High Speed, it says:
d> Unknown host. If I ping it while using RR-Dial-up,
d> it resolves the IP fine.

* Use a proper DNS diagnosis tool, not "ping".
* Perform tests.
* Show us the queries and the responses.
* Show us what proxy DNS servers were used.

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html>
<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-diagnosis-tools.html>