KiXtart ingroup function fails

Evan

Hi all
I have a laptop that intermittently fails to map drives
for a user. KiXtart records event id 1789 in the
application log "The trust relationship between this
workstation and the primary domain failed".

The system log shows:
event id 54 "The Windows Time Service was not able to find
a Domain Controller".
event id 5719 "There are currently no logon servers
available to service the logon request".
event id 4319 "A duplicate name has been detected on the
TCP network"

Of course the computer has been renamed and re-added to
the domain, but this problem returned.
Could this be a DNS issue?

In news:309b01c47100$3708d180$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Evan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Hi all
> I have a laptop that intermittently fails to map drives
> for a user. KiXtart records event id 1789 in the
> application log "The trust relationship between this
> workstation and the primary domain failed".
>
> The system log shows:
> event id 54 "The Windows Time Service was not able to find
> a Domain Controller".
> event id 5719 "There are currently no logon servers
> available to service the logon request".
> event id 4319 "A duplicate name has been detected on the
> TCP network"
>
> Of course the computer has been renamed and re-added to
> the domain, but this problem returned.
> Could this be a DNS issue?

If you're getting a 'domain or something or other not found' message, that's
indicating a DNS lookup issue. Make sure you are only using your internal
DNS. Remove your ISP's addresses from IP properties. In DNS properties,
configure a forwarder for efficient Internet resolution. This config will
give AD what it needs and will resolve external names efficiently as well.

How to configure a forwarder?
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300202

Duplicate names issues come up due to multihomed machines. If at all
possible, its not suggested to mutlihome a DC. If a server, decide which NIC
is the higher priority, and disable NetBIOS, MS Client and F&P services on
the other NIC. That will eliminate the dupe name error.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

Thanks for the response.
There is only our internal dns server listed in the
clients tcp/ip properties. Our dns server has already has
a forwarder listed. None of our dc's are multihomed.

Netdiag on the pdc emulator did show "error 9003
rcode_name_error" for a dns server that is not at our
site, but is one of our isp's servers. This dns server is
one of our forwarders, and it is also listed as a Name
Server under the forward lookup zone for our domain. I
don't know why my predecessor has it entered as a Name
Server for the domain.

Any advice?

newsgroups
>so all can benefit.
>
>This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
guarantees
>and confers no rights.
>
>Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I,
MCT, MVP
>Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory
Services

In news:477b01c4735d$df784350$a601280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
asked for help and I offered my suggestions below:
> Thanks for the response.
> There is only our internal dns server listed in the
> clients tcp/ip properties. Our dns server has already has
> a forwarder listed. None of our dc's are multihomed.
>
> Netdiag on the pdc emulator did show "error 9003
> rcode_name_error" for a dns server that is not at our
> site, but is one of our isp's servers. This dns server is
> one of our forwarders, and it is also listed as a Name
> Server under the forward lookup zone for our domain. I
> don't know why my predecessor has it entered as a Name
> Server for the domain.
>
> Any advice?

I would remove that DNS server out of the nameservers list first of all.

Now as far as no domain connectivity, and help with the Rcode erro, I'll
need to ask to see a couple things:

1. Unedited ipconfig /all
2. The zone name in DNS and if it has updates set to at least allow.
3. The AD DNS domain name.

Thanks!

Keep in mind, I've also seen dupe errors where the domain name and the
computer name were the same and if the computer name was called "Internet".
Siongle label names may cause excessive recursion to the forwarder as well.
Let's see that info to narrow it down.