Sign in with
Your question

X2 3800+ Problem: Single Core in WinXP w/ SP2 PLEASE HELP!!

Last response: in CPUs
August 13, 2006 9:37:21 PM

Please Help! I don't know where else to turn.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD X2 3800+
X-Fi Platinum
WD Raptor 74 GB (OS Drive)
Seagate 7200.10 320 GB w/ 16mb cache

Windows only shows one cpu in task manager and I don't have the option to show two cores. Also, I know two core are not being used because CPU frequently maxes out with single tasks. However, "My Comptuer" --> properties --> General shows "AMD X2 Dual Core 3800+." Device manager does not show any processors installed.
I installed Windows (old copy that does not include either SP1 or SP2), with little trouble. When I started Windows Update, I was prompted directly to SP2 (in the past I have done SP1 and then SP2). I installed the mobo nForce 4 drivers and the cpu drivers. No luck. Flashed BIOS. NO LUCK. Installed newer nForce 4 drivers from nvidia.com. NO LUCK! Installed cpu drivers from AMD.com. NO LUCK!!!
Am I an idiot?! Please help.
Oh another thing, in Device Manager, "Computer" only shows as "Standard PC" and not "ACPI computer"
August 13, 2006 10:23:34 PM

go to amd.com, dl all the dual core patches also you need the microsoft 1 and your bios may need an update as well
August 13, 2006 11:06:23 PM

I have downloaded every driver/program from amd.com. I have rebooted, cold booted, uninstalled, reinstalled... Nothing is working here. Again, the BIOS is the most recent from Asus. Should I be reinstalling Windows or do I have to obtain a copy that has SP2?
Related resources
August 14, 2006 1:43:23 AM

Quote:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD X2 3800+
X-Fi Platinum
WD Raptor 74 GB (OS Drive)
Seagate 7200.10 320 GB w/ 16mb cache

Windows only shows one cpu in task manager and I don't have the option to show two cores. Also, I know two core are not being used because CPU frequently maxes out with single tasks. However, "My Comptuer" --> properties --> General shows "AMD X2 Dual Core 3800+." Device manager does not show any processors installed.
I installed Windows (old copy that does not include either SP1 or SP2), with little trouble. When I started Windows Update, I was prompted directly to SP2 (in the past I have done SP1 and then SP2). I installed the mobo nForce 4 drivers and the cpu drivers. No luck. Flashed BIOS. NO LUCK. Installed newer nForce 4 drivers from nvidia.com. NO LUCK! Installed cpu drivers from AMD.com. NO LUCK!!!
Oh another thing, in Device Manager, "Computer" only shows as "Standard PC" and not "ACPI computer"

Go to MyComputer > Properties >Hardware >Device manager. Right click on "Computer" and select update driver. Choose to pick from a list and find ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

That should fix it.
August 14, 2006 2:20:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Go to MyComputer > Properties >Hardware >Device manager. Right click on "Computer" and select update driver. Choose to pick from a list and find ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

That should fix it.

I've got the same problem as El Berto. I tried as you suggested and can't get it to work. Any other suggestions than those that have already been mentioned?
August 14, 2006 4:26:49 AM

If nothing has worked I would say reinstall windows, and install SP1 then SP2. It may seem crazy, but it might just work.

I have the X2 3800 and it shows both cores on my computer. I bought Windows Xp with SP2 on *for $5 I might add =)* and it is working fine.
August 14, 2006 4:48:34 AM

try running cmd
then try with out quotes "set NUMBERS_OF_PROCESSORS=2"
and reboot.

or slipstream sp2 into your windows XP install so you dont have to update to xp, and the initial kernal will support x2
August 14, 2006 5:33:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That should fix it.

I've got the same problem as El Berto. I tried as you suggested and can't get it to work. Any other suggestions than those that have already been mentioned?

The really problem is you asked BM for advice. Should of went with the newest and greatest C2D. Might want to ask Action Man or Technologycommander. Anybody else but BM. I think he's just a pesky kid who annoys everyone with his idiotic posts.
August 14, 2006 12:46:34 PM

I fitted my shiny new 4200x2 last night... 1st bootup it was single core but then the OS updated the system drivers & then asked me to reboot the PC, on reboot it was detecting that a dual core CPU was fitted... did this occur for you ?? if it didnt, the only solution apart from posting on the MS forums could well be a OS reinstall or if you lucky a repair...
August 14, 2006 1:34:02 PM

Are you guys running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 or Windows XP Professional Edition SP2?

I find that 90% of the time these problems happen because Home does'nt propperly support Dual or Muiti-core as good as the Professional or x64 bit editions
August 14, 2006 2:22:10 PM

If you end up re-installing XP, you can force the correct HAL for windows to use.

During the install the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6. Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that supports ACPI. The choices will be:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC
ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC
MPS Uniprocessor PC
MPS Multiprocessor PC
Standard PC
Standard PC with C-Step i486
Other

You'll most likely want the ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
August 14, 2006 2:49:53 PM

Quote:
The really problem is you asked BM for advice. Should of went with the newest and greatest C2D. Might want to ask Action Man or Technologycommander. Anybody else but BM. I think he's just a pesky kid who annoys everyone with his idiotic posts.

Poor BM - how many times do I see people insulting him needlessly? From what I've seen here (admittedly only for the last few months) he might be out of step with a lot of opinion, but he's rarely rude to others, which is not true of others to him.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2006 3:16:29 PM

As mentioned...
Quote:
Are you guys running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 or Windows XP Professional Edition SP2?

Last I remember, XP Home did not support dual processors/dual core...unless this has been fixed with some update or patch...I've always used XP Pro and I know it support duals processors/dual cores, but can't say for sure about Home...if you're running Home, that might be the issue...the fact that you've got an older (non-SP1, non-SP2) copy of windows may not help, dl'ing the updates or not...
August 14, 2006 4:03:16 PM

XP Home supports dual core, however it doesn't support more than one socket.
August 14, 2006 5:09:21 PM

Quote:

El_berto .... this is what I did when my dual core wasn't detected properly by windows.

1) Clear the CMOS. On some mobos , clearing the cmos seems to be required for your new bios-flash to be properly/correctly validated.
Preferably , do this before. But, sometime after is fine. But if not , then start over and clear the cmos then reflashing.

Anyway , you have done pretty much everything already to try and fix it.
A very nice thing to see , as most all people would just shout out .. HEEELLLP MEEEEEE !!!! .... without having done a single thing.

Kudos.
August 14, 2006 5:31:31 PM

When I first went Dual Core, my AMD driver would not install properly. go into device manager /Processors/ AMD??? (sorry, work machine is a Sempron).

choose update drivers for your processor and point to wherever the new drivers installed.

I don't remember if it went to \program files\amd\... or a temp dir but they're out there somewhere. run the AMD driver install again and pay close attention to where it unpacks. Mine defaulted to the install location of the A64 single core drivers until I told it otherwise and voila!
August 14, 2006 5:35:55 PM

If this doesn't work then you probably need to reinstall.

ADDED: I can't reach that site right now, so hopefully it still works.
August 14, 2006 6:33:25 PM

The first thing I would do is make absolutely sure your motherboard's BIOS is properly detecting the CPU tag AND the number of cpu cores. At the POST screen (after memory is counted) you should see something like this...

"Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @2.00 Ghz, 2 CPUs detected"

I would make sure of this first. If the POST does not say 2 CPUs then you either have a partially defective proc, or your mainboard does not support this particular processor revision. I know for a fact that certain mainboards do not do well with certain revisions of the single core 3500+ and 3700+. Although I have not run into any that have problems with the x2 3800+ personally, it does not mean an issue doesn't exist. Your mainboard may have an issue here. I would go search their knowledgebase and see if that is the case.

If it does properly detect I would backup all of your data, reformat, and reinstall WindowsXP fresh.
August 14, 2006 6:33:46 PM

Have you flashed the bios. When i got my asus board, the bios version was before 1013. After that update, the board supports dual core. I had this same issue, (reinstalled OS twice, then finally read the manual and checked the site for updated BIOS updates.
August 14, 2006 6:59:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, if he really wants to wait a few months for his CPU to arrive, and then also suffer from an inflated price when he actually finds the chip anywhere.
August 15, 2006 1:53:28 AM

Ok, so my BIOS is the most recent one (which is now causing another problem on boot up), I've downloaded and installed the stuff from AMD's website and I have tried the things mentioned here. Nothing is working. Here is a screen shot:

What short of ordering a new mobo or processor can I do?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am using a MSI K8N Neo4/SLI motherboard.
August 15, 2006 2:27:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That should fix it.

I'm a grown man who would put the a can of whoop azz on you. GET OFF MY TWAN, BILZNITCH.
August 15, 2006 2:33:38 AM

After you flashed your bios, did you remember to reset it by using a jumper?

I can't be sure, but I could have sworn I read that somewhere, that people forgot to do that after the flash, and so it continued to show up as single core in windows.
August 15, 2006 2:33:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That should fix it.

Then I would say you have to reformat you HDD, go back to clean and then flash your BIOS, without Windows installed. Most mobos bought after 2005 should already have a dual coe BIOS, but sometimes things can get fouled up during install. Especially if you originally had a single core.
August 15, 2006 3:02:19 AM

Sometimes when flashing BIOS, it is worthwhile to reset the BIOS setting to default first. So you should always

1. Reset the BIOS to default, suggest using the motherboard jumper.
2. Flash the BIOS

Give it a try anyway.
August 15, 2006 3:05:58 AM

Quote:

Poor BM - how many times do I see people insulting him needlessly? From what I've seen here (admittedly only for the last few months) he might be out of step with a lot of opinion, but he's rarely rude to others, which is not true of others to him.

So basically I'm not being SENSITIVE WHEN I FLIP?!?!?! Thx. I try to just help people who have problems and enjoy CPU tech. That's not true of everyone here.

I guess SOME OF US can believe I used to troubleshoot and upgrade PCs for a living.
August 15, 2006 3:09:58 AM

Quote:
I have downloaded every driver/program from amd.com. I have rebooted, cold booted, uninstalled, reinstalled... Nothing is working here. Again, the BIOS is the most recent from Asus. Should I be reinstalling Windows or do I have to obtain a copy that has SP2?

I'd recommend looking up "slipstreaming" your windows XP cd with SP2 an putting it onto a new CD....then install it as you normally would, but you'll get SP2 with it.

Not sure if that will fix your issue or not though, but it's worth the effort I think, if not for this, for a future reinstall.
August 15, 2006 6:40:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:

That should fix it.

I'm a grown man who would put the a can of whoop azz on you. GET OFF MY TWAN, BILZNITCH.

A grown man that still wears diapers! :p  :p  :p 
August 15, 2006 12:41:17 PM

Quote:
Sometimes when flashing BIOS, it is worthwhile to reset the BIOS setting to default first. So you should always

2. Flash the BIOS

Give it a try anyway.

Well, when I updated my BIOS, I had to do so within windows because I do not have an A drive. I will try wiping out my HDD when I get the chance. Maybe even calling AMD's tech support. Until then I guess i will have to put up with it acting as single core. An annoying thing happened when I upgraded the BIOS....

During the boot, it now freezes at the first screen. I have to hit F1 to conintue or DEL to enter setup. Right before that it says that the Floppy disk(s) failed. I never had this problem on the old BIOS. Now that just urks me.
August 15, 2006 1:03:59 PM

Quote:

2. Flash the BIOS

Give it a try anyway.

Well, when I updated my BIOS, I had to do so within windows because I do not have an A drive. I will try wiping out my HDD when I get the chance. Maybe even calling AMD's tech support. Until then I guess i will have to put up with it acting as single core. An annoying thing happened when I upgraded the BIOS....

During the boot, it now freezes at the first screen. I have to hit F1 to conintue or DEL to enter setup. Right before that it says that the Floppy disk(s) failed. I never had this problem on the old BIOS. Now that just urks me.

You said you didn't have a floppy drive. Since you reset the BIOS to defaults you need to go back into the bios and turn off the floppy.

Now....one step at a time. How many procs does the BIOS show?? Did you verify that this board with the bios rev will support the cpu you installed?
August 15, 2006 1:23:40 PM

Quote:

You said you didn't have a floppy drive. Since you reset the BIOS to defaults you need to go back into the bios and turn off the floppy.

Now....one step at a time. How many procs does the BIOS show?? Did you verify that this board with the bios rev will support the cpu you installed?

I went into the BIOS and disabled it as a boot device, but it still gives me the error. If there is another place that something like this would be located, I didn't see it.

At boot up it shows AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+. It does not state that there are 2 processors, but as my screen shot shows, two show up in the device manager. I checked on AMD's website and the MSI K8N was listed as a compatible mobo. Here.
August 15, 2006 1:27:17 PM

Quote:

I went into the BIOS and disabled it as a boot device, but it still gives me the error. If there is another place that something like this would be located, I didn't see it.

At boot up it shows AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+. It does not state that there are 2 processors, but as my screen shot shows, two show up in the device manager. I checked on AMD's website and the MSI K8N was listed as a compatible mobo. Here.

What is the exact floppy error message? You say 2 cpus do show up in the device manager but you still don't see 2 cpu's in the task manager?
August 15, 2006 1:33:36 PM

Quote:

What is the exact floppy error message? You say 2 cpus do show up in the device manager but you still don't see 2 cpu's in the task manager?

It's not exact, but pretty close(I'm at work and can't get the exact for you).

Floppy disk(s) failed.

And if you go to the first page of posts, you'll see a screen shot I included and see all the info that I gather in windows.
August 15, 2006 1:43:16 PM

Quote:
Ok, so my BIOS is the most recent one (which is now causing another problem on boot up), I've downloaded and installed the stuff from AMD's website and I have tried the things mentioned here. Nothing is working. Here is a screen shot:

What short of ordering a new mobo or processor can I do?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am using a MSI K8N Neo4/SLI motherboard.

This is not an AMD problem. I have the same mobo (non-SLI) and have no problems. The problem is windows is using the wrong HAL (hardware abstraction layer). In device manager it should be listed as ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
August 15, 2006 2:02:13 PM

Quote:

This is not an AMD problem. I have the same mobo (non-SLI) and have no problems. The problem is windows is using the wrong HAL (hardware abstraction layer). In device manager it should be listed as ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

Was hoping that I wouldn't have to reinstall. I hate doing it. But, it's looking like that's the only way to get it fixed. I tried detecting changes and even self installing the Multiproc ACPI, but it's not listed when I go to choose from a list. Ah well, now where did I put that windows XP CD......
August 15, 2006 2:15:11 PM

Quote:

It's not exact, but pretty close(I'm at work and can't get the exact for you).

Floppy disk(s) failed.

And if you go to the first page of posts, you'll see a screen shot I included and see all the info that I gather in windows.

Make sure the bios doesn't have a floppy A & B. Disable them both. I am not sure why you don't see the Multiproc ACPI when you goto update the driver and display list.
August 15, 2006 4:55:35 PM

Quote:

2. Flash the BIOS

Give it a try anyway.

Since you updated your bios through windows, when it rebooted, do you go into the bios, and set it to "Load Optimal Defaults"? That is a listed step in the manual that I saw.

It's basically the same as I asked when reseting the bios using a jumper, but in that case, its easier.

If you haven't, give it a try, but be sure to go back into it again, after loading optimal defaults, to disable the floopy drive, as well as to reset the boot order.

Edit:

To disable the floppy drive, it should be on the main page. Should see "System Time, System Date, Language, and then Legacy Diskette A".
August 15, 2006 5:03:25 PM

Quote:

Since you updated your bios through windows, when it rebooted, do you go into the bios, and set it to "Load Optimal Defaults"?

It's basically the same as I asked when reseting the bios using a jumper, but in that case, its easier.

If you haven't, give it a try, but be sure to go back into it again, after loading optimal defaults, to disable the floopy drive, as well as to reset the boot order.

I didn't do the "Load Optimal Defaults." I will try that and reset the boot order and such on the next boot. I will post the results this evening.
August 15, 2006 5:31:33 PM

I just upgraded from a sempron to x2 and windows updated the computer to Multiproc ACPI.

On a different computer I had to do a repair install but make sure you have the right service pack
August 15, 2006 11:11:23 PM

Well, I loaded the optimum defaults and reset boot order and disabled the A drive (fixing the boot problem). It even says 2 CPUs now on the boot, but I still can't get both cores to be recognized in Windows. Last option is the only one left I guess; repair/reinstall Windows.

EDIT: Well, the "One graph per CPU" option in task manager is not longer grayed out, but everything else still remains the same.
August 17, 2006 1:54:01 AM

Ok, Windows is not offering the repair option. I can only do a full/new install. I'd rather not have to do that and remove all the stuff from my C drive. One last time...is there ANYTHING else that I can try?
August 17, 2006 2:04:15 AM

Did you BOOT from the XP cd? If you started it from within Windows there is no repair option that I know of.
August 19, 2006 3:06:15 PM

The only thing i should say is that you check your processor in any of your friend's pc or anyone and clarify it's dual core.Well it might look like funny but
sometimes it may be the fault of the company(putting the wrong logo on the processor).If still the problem persists i think it's your mobo not supporting the dual core.
October 2, 2006 11:01:40 PM

The first thing you should do is to look at your POST screen very carefully. It should report he processor like this:

"Authentic AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.00Ghz, 2CPUs detected"

If your POST does not say 2CPUs, then either (1) your mobo does not support the cpu or (2) your CPU is bad

1) Try flashing your BIOS

2) Buy a new motherboard

If you get a POST that reports 2 CPUs, but your OS does not see both cores try the following...

1) Flash your BIOS

2) Format Hard Drive and re-install Windows

3) Install AMD drivers

If none of these work, then you need to RMA your processor. A defective proc is not unheard of.
!