X2 3800+ Problem: Single Core in WinXP w/ SP2 PLEASE HELP!!

El_Berto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Please Help! I don't know where else to turn.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD X2 3800+
X-Fi Platinum
WD Raptor 74 GB (OS Drive)
Seagate 7200.10 320 GB w/ 16mb cache

Windows only shows one cpu in task manager and I don't have the option to show two cores. Also, I know two core are not being used because CPU frequently maxes out with single tasks. However, "My Comptuer" --> properties --> General shows "AMD X2 Dual Core 3800+." Device manager does not show any processors installed.
I installed Windows (old copy that does not include either SP1 or SP2), with little trouble. When I started Windows Update, I was prompted directly to SP2 (in the past I have done SP1 and then SP2). I installed the mobo nForce 4 drivers and the cpu drivers. No luck. Flashed BIOS. NO LUCK. Installed newer nForce 4 drivers from nvidia.com. NO LUCK! Installed cpu drivers from AMD.com. NO LUCK!!!
Am I an idiot?! Please help.
Oh another thing, in Device Manager, "Computer" only shows as "Standard PC" and not "ACPI computer"

El_Berto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I have downloaded every driver/program from amd.com. I have rebooted, cold booted, uninstalled, reinstalled... Nothing is working here. Again, the BIOS is the most recent from Asus. Should I be reinstalling Windows or do I have to obtain a copy that has SP2?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD X2 3800+
X-Fi Platinum
WD Raptor 74 GB (OS Drive)
Seagate 7200.10 320 GB w/ 16mb cache

Windows only shows one cpu in task manager and I don't have the option to show two cores. Also, I know two core are not being used because CPU frequently maxes out with single tasks. However, "My Comptuer" --> properties --> General shows "AMD X2 Dual Core 3800+." Device manager does not show any processors installed.
I installed Windows (old copy that does not include either SP1 or SP2), with little trouble. When I started Windows Update, I was prompted directly to SP2 (in the past I have done SP1 and then SP2). I installed the mobo nForce 4 drivers and the cpu drivers. No luck. Flashed BIOS. NO LUCK. Installed newer nForce 4 drivers from nvidia.com. NO LUCK! Installed cpu drivers from AMD.com. NO LUCK!!!
Oh another thing, in Device Manager, "Computer" only shows as "Standard PC" and not "ACPI computer"

Go to MyComputer > Properties >Hardware >Device manager. Right click on "Computer" and select update driver. Choose to pick from a list and find ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

That should fix it.

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
BaronMatrix said:

Go to MyComputer > Properties >Hardware >Device manager. Right click on "Computer" and select update driver. Choose to pick from a list and find ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

That should fix it.

I've got the same problem as El Berto. I tried as you suggested and can't get it to work. Any other suggestions than those that have already been mentioned?

Ragnarok

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
If nothing has worked I would say reinstall windows, and install SP1 then SP2. It may seem crazy, but it might just work.

I have the X2 3800 and it shows both cores on my computer. I bought Windows Xp with SP2 on *for $5 I might add =)* and it is working fine.

severeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
try running cmd
then try with out quotes "set NUMBERS_OF_PROCESSORS=2"
and reboot.

or slipstream sp2 into your windows XP install so you dont have to update to xp, and the initial kernal will support x2

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
TheKeg said:

That should fix it.

I've got the same problem as El Berto. I tried as you suggested and can't get it to work. Any other suggestions than those that have already been mentioned?

The really problem is you asked BM for advice. Should of went with the newest and greatest C2D. Might want to ask Action Man or Technologycommander. Anybody else but BM. I think he's just a pesky kid who annoys everyone with his idiotic posts.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I fitted my shiny new 4200x2 last night... 1st bootup it was single core but then the OS updated the system drivers & then asked me to reboot the PC, on reboot it was detecting that a dual core CPU was fitted... did this occur for you ?? if it didnt, the only solution apart from posting on the MS forums could well be a OS reinstall or if you lucky a repair...

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Are you guys running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 or Windows XP Professional Edition SP2?

I find that 90% of the time these problems happen because Home does'nt propperly support Dual or Muiti-core as good as the Professional or x64 bit editions

If you end up re-installing XP, you can force the correct HAL for windows to use.

During the install the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6. Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that supports ACPI. The choices will be:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC
ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC
MPS Uniprocessor PC
MPS Multiprocessor PC
Standard PC
Standard PC with C-Step i486
Other

You'll most likely want the ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
The really problem is you asked BM for advice. Should of went with the newest and greatest C2D. Might want to ask Action Man or Technologycommander. Anybody else but BM. I think he's just a pesky kid who annoys everyone with his idiotic posts.

Poor BM - how many times do I see people insulting him needlessly? From what I've seen here (admittedly only for the last few months) he might be out of step with a lot of opinion, but he's rarely rude to others, which is not true of others to him.

As mentioned...
Are you guys running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 or Windows XP Professional Edition SP2?

Last I remember, XP Home did not support dual processors/dual core...unless this has been fixed with some update or patch...I've always used XP Pro and I know it support duals processors/dual cores, but can't say for sure about Home...if you're running Home, that might be the issue...the fact that you've got an older (non-SP1, non-SP2) copy of windows may not help, dl'ing the updates or not...

DeMonOfElRu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

El_berto .... this is what I did when my dual core wasn't detected properly by windows.

1) Clear the CMOS. On some mobos , clearing the cmos seems to be required for your new bios-flash to be properly/correctly validated.
Preferably , do this before. But, sometime after is fine. But if not , then start over and clear the cmos then reflashing.

Anyway , you have done pretty much everything already to try and fix it.
A very nice thing to see , as most all people would just shout out .. HEEELLLP MEEEEEE !!!! .... without having done a single thing.

Kudos.

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
When I first went Dual Core, my AMD driver would not install properly. go into device manager /Processors/ AMD??? (sorry, work machine is a Sempron).

choose update drivers for your processor and point to wherever the new drivers installed.

I don't remember if it went to \program files\amd\... or a temp dir but they're out there somewhere. run the AMD driver install again and pay close attention to where it unpacks. Mine defaulted to the install location of the A64 single core drivers until I told it otherwise and voila!

ragemonkey

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
The first thing I would do is make absolutely sure your motherboard's BIOS is properly detecting the CPU tag AND the number of cpu cores. At the POST screen (after memory is counted) you should see something like this...

"Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @2.00 Ghz, 2 CPUs detected"

I would make sure of this first. If the POST does not say 2 CPUs then you either have a partially defective proc, or your mainboard does not support this particular processor revision. I know for a fact that certain mainboards do not do well with certain revisions of the single core 3500+ and 3700+. Although I have not run into any that have problems with the x2 3800+ personally, it does not mean an issue doesn't exist. Your mainboard may have an issue here. I would go search their knowledgebase and see if that is the case.

If it does properly detect I would backup all of your data, reformat, and reinstall WindowsXP fresh.

Narutofan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Have you flashed the bios. When i got my asus board, the bios version was before 1013. After that update, the board supports dual core. I had this same issue, (reinstalled OS twice, then finally read the manual and checked the site for updated BIOS updates.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Yeah, if he really wants to wait a few months for his CPU to arrive, and then also suffer from an inflated price when he actually finds the chip anywhere.

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ok, so my BIOS is the most recent one (which is now causing another problem on boot up), I've downloaded and installed the stuff from AMD's website and I have tried the things mentioned here. Nothing is working. Here is a screen shot:

x2probs1a.jpg

What short of ordering a new mobo or processor can I do?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am using a MSI K8N Neo4/SLI motherboard.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
49ers540 said:

That should fix it.

I'm a grown man who would put the a can of whoop azz on you. GET OFF MY TWAN, BILZNITCH.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
After you flashed your bios, did you remember to reset it by using a jumper?

I can't be sure, but I could have sworn I read that somewhere, that people forgot to do that after the flash, and so it continued to show up as single core in windows.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
TheKeg said:

That should fix it.

Then I would say you have to reformat you HDD, go back to clean and then flash your BIOS, without Windows installed. Most mobos bought after 2005 should already have a dual coe BIOS, but sometimes things can get fouled up during install. Especially if you originally had a single core.