iP8500 and i9950 (i9900) borderless issues.

I have three printers; the aforementioned two and an R800. I am trying to
print a card on an A4 (letter) sheet. The problem is this: - if it's printed
with either of the Canons, there is a 1mm white gap between the edge of the
photo and the fold when the card is folded. If I print to the Epson, the
results are perfect. I have redownloaded drivers and uninstalled and
reinstalled both printers, but the problem persists. I know I'm not folding
wrong because I'm using prescored card, so it's nigh on impossible!

I would prefer to use either of the Canons because it keeps running costs
down.

Any ideas, folks? All three printers hooked up to a Windoze XP Pro SP2 box
via USB.

BURT

I don't have either of these canon printers, but I would expect that the
borderless function is basically the same as on my i960. In borderless
printing the driver slightly expands the image to print just beyond the edge
of the paper. The "overspray" is picked up by the sponge under the print
head travel area. In the driver page setup page there is a slide with which
you can control the degree of expansion of the picture. This expansion is
used to compensate for any inaccuracy in the feed mechanism that would
otherwise leave an unprinted sliver of white at one or more of the edges of
the print.

If you are trying to print one half a page in borderless mode and, after
folding it over, show a borderless image on the face of the card, you may
have to move the image slightly to what will become the back of the card
before printing. I have done this on letter size paper in photoshop without
the white edge you describe. Probably just dumb luck that it came out right
the first time! I started by creating a blank "canvas" 8.5x11 inches and
turned on the ruler and grid functions. I used the ruler to get placement
of the image at the fold and adjusted the image size to go to the three
outer edges. Borderless printing then worked out fine with the slider set
to the minimum expansion.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> I have three printers; the aforementioned two and an R800. I am trying to
> print a card on an A4 (letter) sheet. The problem is this: - if it's printed
> with either of the Canons, there is a 1mm white gap between the edge of the
> photo and the fold when the card is folded. If I print to the Epson, the
> results are perfect. I have redownloaded drivers and uninstalled and
> reinstalled both printers, but the problem persists. I know I'm not folding
> wrong because I'm using prescored card, so it's nigh on impossible!
>
> Any ideas, folks? All three printers hooked up to a Windoze XP Pro SP2 box
> via USB.

I get that on both the i860 and iP5000. It appears to be a feed problem
with all Canons (I even had it on the i850). I get around this problem
when making greeting cards by having a colour border on all four sides
and a narrow one on the back of the card, adjacent to the fold area.
Now when I fold the card there is no sliver left unprinted. The tiny
band on the back is negligible. Of course, make sure you use exactly
the same shade of colour.

> I would prefer to use either of the Canons because it keeps running
> costs down.

I refill my card printing Canon i860 with bulk ink. There is no cost.
Unless you consider a dollar per cartridge fill a "cost". ;-)

-Taliesyn

Taliesyn wrote:
> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>> I have three printers; the aforementioned two and an R800. I am
>> trying to print a card on an A4 (letter) sheet. The problem is this:
>> - if it's printed with either of the Canons, there is a 1mm white
>> gap between the edge of the photo and the fold when the card is
>> folded. If I print to the Epson, the results are perfect. I have
>> redownloaded drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled both printers,
>> but the problem persists. I know I'm not folding wrong because I'm
>> using prescored card, so it's nigh on impossible! Any ideas, folks? All
>> three printers hooked up to a Windoze XP Pro
>> SP2 box via USB.
>>

> I get that on both the i860 and iP5000. It appears to be a feed
> problem with all Canons (I even had it on the i850). I get around
> this problem when making greeting cards by having a colour border on
> all four sides and a narrow one on the back of the card, adjacent to
> the fold area. Now when I fold the card there is no sliver left
> unprinted. The tiny band on the back is negligible. Of course, make
> sure you use exactly the same shade of colour.
>
>> I would prefer to use either of the Canons because it keeps running
>> costs down.
>
> I refill my card printing Canon i860 with bulk ink. There is no cost.
> Unless you consider a dollar per cartridge fill a "cost". ;-)
>
> -Taliesyn

Just thought I'd let you know what Canon had to say - typical bollocks, not
admitting liability.

"Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product. In order to
assess your query correctly, we would be very grateful if you could provide
us with some more information. Do you use genuine Canon inks? Who
manufactures the "pre-scored 210g/m² glossy photo paper" you are using?
Apart from when using this media, do both Canon printers otherwise function
normally? Please contact us again with this information. Thanks in advance."

BURT

> Taliesyn wrote:
>> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>>> I have three printers; the aforementioned two and an R800. I am
>>> trying to print a card on an A4 (letter) sheet. The problem is this:
>>> - if it's printed with either of the Canons, there is a 1mm white
>>> gap between the edge of the photo and the fold when the card is
>>> folded. If I print to the Epson, the results are perfect. I have
>>> redownloaded drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled both printers,
>>> but the problem persists. I know I'm not folding wrong because I'm
>>> using prescored card, so it's nigh on impossible! Any ideas, folks? All
>>> three printers hooked up to a Windoze XP Pro
>>> SP2 box via USB.
>>>

>> I get that on both the i860 and iP5000. It appears to be a feed
>> problem with all Canons (I even had it on the i850). I get around
>> this problem when making greeting cards by having a colour border on
>> all four sides and a narrow one on the back of the card, adjacent to
>> the fold area. Now when I fold the card there is no sliver left
>> unprinted. The tiny band on the back is negligible. Of course, make
>> sure you use exactly the same shade of colour.
>>
>>> I would prefer to use either of the Canons because it keeps running
>>> costs down.
>>
>> I refill my card printing Canon i860 with bulk ink. There is no cost.
>> Unless you consider a dollar per cartridge fill a "cost". ;-)
>>
>> -Taliesyn
>
> Just thought I'd let you know what Canon had to say - typical bollocks,
> not admitting liability.
>
> "Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product. In order
> to assess your query correctly, we would be very grateful if you could
> provide us with some more information. Do you use genuine Canon inks? Who
> manufactures the "pre-scored 210g/m² glossy photo paper" you are using?
> Apart from when using this media, do both Canon printers otherwise
> function normally? Please contact us again with this information. Thanks
> in advance."

As if the brand of ink or manufacturer of the paper has anything to do with
the placement of the printed image on the finished result! I still think it
has to do with how the driver for borderless printing adjusts image size to
avoid any white showing at the outer edges of the print. The Epson driver
must use a different alogarithm for adjusting size and placement of the
image.

If you do not like Canon then buy an Epson.

Burt wrote:

>"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
>

>>Taliesyn wrote:

>>>I get that on both the i860 and iP5000. It appears to be a feed
>>>problem with all Canons (I even had it on the i850). I get around
>>>this problem when making greeting cards by having a colour border on
>>>all four sides and a narrow one on the back of the card, adjacent to
>>>the fold area. Now when I fold the card there is no sliver left
>>>unprinted. The tiny band on the back is negligible. Of course, make
>>>sure you use exactly the same shade of colour.

>>>I refill my card printing Canon i860 with bulk ink. There is no cost.
>>>Unless you consider a dollar per cartridge fill a "cost". ;-)
>>>
>>>-Taliesyn
>>>

>>Just thought I'd let you know what Canon had to say - typical bollocks,
>>not admitting liability.
>>
>>"Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product. In order
>>to assess your query correctly, we would be very grateful if you could
>>provide us with some more information. Do you use genuine Canon inks? Who
>>manufactures the "pre-scored 210g/m² glossy photo paper" you are using?
>>Apart from when using this media, do both Canon printers otherwise
>>function normally? Please contact us again with this information. Thanks
>>in advance."
>>

>As if the brand of ink or manufacturer of the paper has anything to do with
>the placement of the printed image on the finished result! I still think it
>has to do with how the driver for borderless printing adjusts image size to
>avoid any white showing at the outer edges of the print. The Epson driver
>must use a different alogarithm for adjusting size and placement of the
>image.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

Hey moron, aren't you just a little bit confused? I am a total loser and
a simple minded idiot. I will get lost and go get a life.
I have been telling you that for a long time.
He Haw, you know, just like the jackass I am.

:-D :-D :-D

measekite

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
> Hey moron, aren't you just a little bit confused? I am a total loser and
> a simple minded idiot. I will get lost and go get a life.
> I have been telling you that for a long time.
> He Haw, you know, just like the jackass I am.
>
> :-D :-D :-D
>
> measekite

Sorry Frank, but that last cart of black canon oem did it. I went
ballistic again. I know I'm a total loser and a complete moron. So does
everybody else.

measekite

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
> Hey moron, aren't you just a little bit confused? I am a total loser
> and a simple minded idiot. I will get lost and go get a life.
> I have been telling you that for a long time.
> He Haw, you know, just like the jackass I am.
>
> :
>
> Frank

I know you are a he haw Frankie Crankie.

measekite wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>
>> Hey moron, aren't you just a little bit confused? I am a total loser
>> and a simple minded idiot. I will get lost and go get a life.
>> I have been telling you that for a long time.
>> He Haw, you know, just like the jackass I am.
>>
>> :-D :-D :-D
>>
>> measekite
>

> Sorry , but that last cart of black canon oem did it. I went ballistic
> again. I know I'm a total loser and a complete moron. So does
> everybody else.
>
> Frank

You should not go ballistic.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> Frank wrote:
>>
>>> measekite wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey moron, aren't you just a little bit confused? I am a total loser
>>> and a simple minded idiot. I will get lost and go get a life.
>>> I have been telling you that for a long time.
>>> He Haw, you know, just like the jackass I am.
>>>
>>> :-D :-D :-D
>>>
>>> measekite
>>

>> Sorry , but that last cart of black canon oem did it. I went ballistic
>> again. I know I'm a total loser and a complete moron. So does
>> everybody else.
>>
>> Frank
>

> You should not go ballistic.

Are you screwed up or what? Leave me out of this bs ok!
I don't have anything to do with you two.
GOT IT!
Nothing but a couple of Morons.
Get lost the two of you.
Frank

>>> Sorry , but that last cart of black canon oem did it. I went
>>> ballistic again. I know I'm a total loser and a complete moron. So
>>> does everybody else.
>>>
>>> Frank
>>

>> You should not go ballistic.
>

> Are you screwed up or what? Leave me out of this bs ok!
> I don't have anything to do with you two.
> GOT IT!
> Nothing but a couple of Morons.
> Get lost the two of you.
> Frank

Frank you must be talking with a finger up your ass.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> Frank you must be talking with a finger up your ass.

What's your problem mesershit? You drunk or something?
Go screw yourself you ingrate jerk.
Frank

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> I have three printers; the aforementioned two and an R800. I am trying to
> print a card on an A4 (letter) sheet. The problem is this: - if it's printed
> with either of the Canons, there is a 1mm white gap between the edge of the
> photo and the fold when the card is folded. If I print to the Epson, the
> results are perfect. I have redownloaded drivers and uninstalled and
> reinstalled both printers, but the problem persists. I know I'm not folding
> wrong because I'm using prescored card, so it's nigh on impossible!
>
> I would prefer to use either of the Canons because it keeps running costs
> down.
>
> Any ideas, folks? All three printers hooked up to a Windoze XP Pro SP2 box
> via USB.

I have the i9950 - i9900 with the CD labeling option. When printing
borderless, the printer relies on the paper measurements being accurate
so the slight overscan does indeed reach the paper edge. I was getting
a hairs-breadth white line on some 6x4 paper when printing borderless,
and it turned out the paper was slightly too long.

Perhaps you could specify a custom size for the paper/card and increase
the measurements by a millimetre or two to ensure the printer overscans
properly.

Colin.

PS: I note you said A4 (letter). These are not the same size, A4 is 8mm
longer than Letter. But I guess you know that.