Need Switch Recommendation

I'm looking at co-locating some servers and I need a bit of advice.
I need a recommendation for a switch to sit between 8 servers and a 10
Mbps ethernet port to the internet. The switch should be able to
provide bandwidth usage info on each server and, if possible, act as a
simple firewall to help protect the servers. Are there any that can
also limit how much of the 10 Mbps bandwidth to the internet a single
server can use ?

TIA,

-- David
3 answers Last reply
More about need switch recommendation

    In article <p3hhf0pc758vnfi7k6ljq46n1ornn68h8c@4ax.com>, davidbemail-
    1q04@yahoo.com.nospam says...

    > I'm looking at co-locating some servers and I need a bit of advice.
    > I need a recommendation for a switch to sit between 8 servers and a 10
    > Mbps ethernet port to the internet. The switch should be able to
    > provide bandwidth usage info on each server and, if possible, act as a
    > simple firewall to help protect the servers. Are there any that can
    > also limit how much of the 10 Mbps bandwidth to the internet a single
    > server can use ?

    Your requirements, particularly the firewalling capability,
    dictate that you need more than just a "simple switch."

    More specifically, you will need a small router, preferably one
    with firewall capability. I would suggest having a look at Zyxel's
    newly-released ZyWall 5. It will probably settle out between $200-$300
    street price.

    You should use a separate switch or hub that the Zyxel or router
    plugs into a port on. You can find BayStack 350T series switches for
    cheap on Ebay, and they should be more than up to the task (I use a pair
    of 350T-24's myself).

    Keep the peace(es).

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    A Cisco switches, such as a 3550 would work well. It can support
    rather complex Access Control Lists (ACLs) on a per port basis as well
    as rate limiting. You can also do pvlans to prevent the servers from
    seeing each other. The 2950's are the cheaper version of the 3550,
    but you'd want to verify they can do the rate limiting.

    For the Cisco switches, you can use the free MTRG software on one of
    the servers to monitor the traffic flows (uses snmp to query the port
    statistics)

    Another option would be a used Cisco router and a 8-port dumb hub.
    Used Cisco routers like a 2500 or 2600 series might be a cheaper
    option and still let you do the rate limiting, accounting, and ACLs
    you want. You don't really need anything high-speed here.

    -Chris

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:26:14 -0700, David Ball
    <davidbemail-1q04@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote:

    >I'm looking at co-locating some servers and I need a bit of advice.
    >I need a recommendation for a switch to sit between 8 servers and a 10
    >Mbps ethernet port to the internet. The switch should be able to
    >provide bandwidth usage info on each server and, if possible, act as a
    >simple firewall to help protect the servers. Are there any that can
    >also limit how much of the 10 Mbps bandwidth to the internet a single
    >server can use ?
    >
    >Can someone point me in the right direction?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >-- David

    hi David,

    What you need a an Extreme Networks switch. I am sure a simple solution
    can do what you want, but if the requirements change just a little bit,
    you'd have to re-invest in hardware again..

    The Summit200
    (http://www.extremenetworks.com/libraries/prodpdfs/products/summit200_24_48.asp)
    will do what you describe, while the Summit48Si
    (http://www.extremenetworks.com/libraries/prodpdfs/products/summit48si.asp)
    will do all that and more!

    Planning for future use, you can think of things like SLB (Server Load
    Balancing), advanced routing (BGP,OSPF,PIM,...), redundancy features
    (VRRP, ESRP, Spanning tree, EAPS), QoS (Quality of Service), and line-rate
    Access-lists, DOS protection, and much more.

    The Extreme switches are priced very well, and will keep you prepared for
    future changes.
    (http://www.extremenetworks.com/howtobuy/)

    cheers,
    /steven

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:26:14 -0700, David Ball
    <davidbemail-1q04@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote:

    > I'm looking at co-locating some servers and I need a bit of advice.
    > I need a recommendation for a switch to sit between 8 servers and a 10
    > Mbps ethernet port to the internet. The switch should be able to
    > provide bandwidth usage info on each server and, if possible, act as a
    > simple firewall to help protect the servers. Are there any that can
    > also limit how much of the 10 Mbps bandwidth to the internet a single
    > server can use ?

    > TIA,
    >
    > -- David

Switch Ethernet Card Bandwidth Servers Networking