Event 5774 /DNS errors/Latest updates

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 26, 2004 6:01:11 PM

Our system recently installed some automatic updates.
Since then we have received numerous EVENT code 5774
errors per hour - net logon

*here is the message <xxxxxx=our server name>

Registration of the DNS
record '_kerberos._udp.local.xxxxxxx.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100
88 SERVER1.local.xxxxxxxxx.com.' failed with the following
error:
DNS server unable to interpret format.

The system is also VERY slow and unresponsive. However, I
can correct this by issuing the following commands upon
reboot.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
net stop netlogon
net start netlogon

If I do this, then network speed is backup, but we still
get the netlogon errors.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled DNS server to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mel
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:01:53 PM

"Mel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Our system recently installed some automatic updates.
> Since then we have received numerous EVENT code 5774
> errors per hour - net logon
>
> *here is the message <xxxxxx=our server name>
>
> Registration of the DNS
> record '_kerberos._udp.local.xxxxxxx.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100
> 88 SERVER1.local.xxxxxxxxx.com.' failed with the following
> error:
> DNS server unable to interpret format.
>
> The system is also VERY slow and unresponsive. However, I
> can correct this by issuing the following commands upon
> reboot.
>
> ipconfig /flushdns
> ipconfig /registerdns
> net stop netlogon
> net start netlogon
>
> If I do this, then network speed is backup, but we still
> get the netlogon errors.
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled DNS server to no avail.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mel

Can you post:
1. an ipconfig /all
2. Name of the zone in DNS and whether updates are allowed
3. AD's DNS domain name
4. What operating system is this
5. Service pack level (if applicable).

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
August 3, 2004 5:25:56 PM

Here is ipconfig /ALL

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER1
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
local.sierradisplay.com
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
local.sierradisplay.com

sierradisplay.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R)
82540EM Based Network Conne
ction
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-20-2A-
E6
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Zone is zone1.sierradisplay.com

Zone DOES NOT allow dynamic updates. (is this the problem?)

server1.local.sierradisplay.com is name of dns server
local.sierradisplay.com is name of domain
Windows 2000 server SP 4 is the OS.

Thanks

Mel

newsgroups
>so all can benefit.
>
>This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
guarantees
>and confers no rights.
>
>Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I,
MCT, MVP
>Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory
Services

>Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
>HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
>A lifetime commitment for a pig.
>--
>=================================
>

>.

August 3, 2004 7:43:16 PM

In news:b97701c47998$14cc9c00$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Mel <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Here is ipconfig /ALL
>
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER1
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
> local.sierradisplay.com
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
> local.sierradisplay.com
>
> sierradisplay.com
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R)
> 82540EM Based Network Conne
> ction
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
> 00-C0-9F-20-2A- E6
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
>

> Zone is zone1.sierradisplay.com
>
> Zone DOES NOT allow dynamic updates. (is this the
> problem?)

Partially, the zone name should be named "local.sierradisplay.com" (the same
as the primary DNS suffix) and it should allow updates.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In news:b97701c47998$14cc9c00$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Mel <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> either posted for help, or replied
to my previous response, or just wanted to comment or offer an addition,
whichever the reason, spurred me to reply below
> Here is ipconfig /ALL
>
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER1
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
> local.sierradisplay.com
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
> local.sierradisplay.com
>
> sierradisplay.com
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R)
> 82540EM Based Network Conne
> ction
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-20-2A-
> E6
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
>

> Zone is zone1.sierradisplay.com
>
> Zone DOES NOT allow dynamic updates. (is this the problem?)
>
> server1.local.sierradisplay.com is name of dns server
> local.sierradisplay.com is name of domain
> Windows 2000 server SP 4 is the OS.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mel

Mel, what Kevin said, but to add....what is your AD DNS name? Which does it
match??

Also, these two are the same: ??

Is your gateway address also your Windows DNS server or is it your router?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 3:01:36 AM

You asked:
>Is your gateway address also your Windows DNS server or
>is it your router?

Gateway also DNS Server. This has been working fine for
almost a year until a recent automatic update. Also, I
just did the following per another post.

Deleted both zones. Forward and reverse.
created zones using the name local.sierradisplay.com and
enabled updates. Then rebooted.

Same problems. System very slow and sluggish until I run
the following commands either in a batch file or manually
from the command line.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
net stop netlogon
net start netlogon

Then everything works.

Thanks

2A-
>> E6
>> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
>> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
101.107.192.2
>> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
255.255.255.0
>> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
101.107.192.1
>> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
101.107.192.1

>> Zone is zone1.sierradisplay.com
>>
>> Zone DOES NOT allow dynamic updates. (is this the
problem?)

>> server1.local.sierradisplay.com is name of dns server
>> local.sierradisplay.com is name of domain
>> Windows 2000 server SP 4 is the OS.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mel
>>

>Mel, what Kevin said, but to add....what is your AD DNS
name? Which does it
>match??
>

>Also, these two are the same: ??
>> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
101.107.192.1
>> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
101.107.192.1

>Is your gateway address also your Windows DNS server or
is it your router?

>--
>Regards,
>Ace
>
>Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public
newsgroups
>so all can benefit.
>
>This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or
guarantees
>and confers no rights.
>
>Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I,
MCT, MVP
>Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory
Services

>Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
>HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
>A lifetime commitment for a pig.
>--
>=================================
>

>.

August 7, 2004 3:04:21 AM

Ok, here is the latest.

I just did the following per your post.

Deleted both zones. Forward and reverse.
created zones using the name local.sierradisplay.com and
enabled updates. Then rebooted.

Same problems. System very slow and sluggish until I run
the following commands either in a batch file or manually
from the command line.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
net stop netlogon
net start netlogon

Then everything works.

Also, FYI as someone else thought this was important in
another post.

Gateway also DNS Server. This has been working fine for
almost a year until a recent automatic update.

Thanks

101.107.192.2
>> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
255.255.255.0
>> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
101.107.192.1
>> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
101.107.192.1

>> Zone is zone1.sierradisplay.com
>>
>> Zone DOES NOT allow dynamic updates. (is this the
>> problem?)
>
>Partially, the zone name should be
named "local.sierradisplay.com" (the same
>as the primary DNS suffix) and it should allow updates.
>
>--
>Best regards,
>Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
>Hope This Helps
>============================
>--
>When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
your
>newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
>issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from
my
>email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
>Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
>It will strip signature out and more
>Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
>OEBackup:
>

>.

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 6:41:19 AM

In news:1b8901c47c43$ff5685d0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
made a post then I commented below
> You asked:
>> Is your gateway address also your Windows DNS server or
>> is it your router?
>
> Gateway also DNS Server. This has been working fine for
> almost a year until a recent automatic update. Also, I
> just did the following per another post.
>
> Deleted both zones. Forward and reverse.
> created zones using the name local.sierradisplay.com and
> enabled updates. Then rebooted.
>
> Same problems. System very slow and sluggish until I run
> the following commands either in a batch file or manually
> from the command line.
>
> ipconfig /flushdns
> ipconfig /registerdns
> net stop netlogon
> net start netlogon
>
> Then everything works.
>
> Thanks

Not sure what you mean by 'slow and sluggish'. Do symptoms include long
logon times?

So I guess your router is a Windows machine running DNS? Then it's
multihomed I assume? Multihoming a DNS and/or DC can cause issues. At any
rate, if it is multihomed, let's take a look at that guy for a moment. Is it
running NAT or just routing IP? Assuming NAT, since DNS is on it, let's go
into Network and Dialup Connections, Advanced, Advanced settings, make sure
the internal NIC is on top of the binding order. Then lets go into DNS
properties, Interface tab, and eliminate the external IP address. On the
external NIC, let's disable MS Client and F&P services (in NIC properties)
and NetBIOS (under DNS tab in IP advanced properties).

Primary DNS Suffix, updates are enabled, and the name matches DNS, which all
the names should be local.sierradisplay.com in your case, do the SRV records
exist?

Prior to running those commands, did the SRV records exist? Are there any
Event ID errors on the DNS server itself?

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 7:17:51 AM

In news:1cdd01c47c44$61ea9380$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Mel <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Ok, here is the latest.
>
> I just did the following per your post.
>
> Deleted both zones. Forward and reverse.
> created zones using the name local.sierradisplay.com and
> enabled updates. Then rebooted.

You did not need to reboot, all you needed to do was run the commands you
ran after you rebooted, these commands are needed to create the SRV records
and register the DC's IP addresses.

> Same problems. System very slow and sluggish until I run
> the following commands either in a batch file or manually
> from the command line.
>
> ipconfig /flushdns
> ipconfig /registerdns
> net stop netlogon
> net start netlogon
>
> Then everything works.

I just noticed, from your first reply with the ipconfig /all

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 101.107.192.1<--Is this your
router? What DNS server is this? Does it allow dynamic updates. If DNS is on
this machine, which it should be, point it to its own address for DNS.

I believe everything would have worked if you had run these commands without
the reboot.
run this command to see how everything checks out, netdiag /test:D ns /v

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:
August 11, 2004 3:27:32 PM

Ok, Here are a couple of other things.

First you said the following:
101.107.192.1<--Is this your
>router?

Yes, this is a router. Router is handling DHCP.
Evidently, it too is handling DNS as well as all
workstations are set to obtain both automatically.
I have tried disabling DNS completely on this server and
it does not change anything.

What is puzzling is this has all worked for almost 2 years
and fell apart after an automatic update.

Here is current configuration:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER1
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
local.sierradisplay.com

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
local.sierradisplay.com

sierradisplay.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R)
82540EM Based Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-20-2A-
E6

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Ok, Please consider the following:

1. Upon a reboot, the FIRST (and only the FIRST)
workstation can log onto the network successfully
(including logon script).

2. Subsequent logon by other workstations are all doomed.
It goes through the motions but scripts do not execute and
drives are not connected. If these users got to "My
Computer" and click on any network drives the see a
message stating.

X:\ is not accessible.
There are currently no logon servers available to service
the logon request.

If these users click on network places->entire network
etc, to get to the server they will also receive a message
stating the theree are currently no logon servers
available to service the logon request.

3. If I run my little batch file that issues these
commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
net stop netlogon
net start netlogon

Then everything works correctly. Everyone can logon and
all scripts execute. All drives connect.

4. I found a knowledgebase article # 830063 that
describes similar behavior when Routing and Remote Access
is installed with DNS and a Hotfix has been installed. I'm
not sure if hotfix is installed. Not shown in Add/remove
Programs.

If I Stop the Routing and RAS process (before running by
batchfile) I get the same behavior.

Thanks for your help

Mel

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 6:04:04 PM

In news:446801c47fd0$de02d830$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Mel <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote their comments
Then Kevin replied below:
> Ok, Here are a couple of other things.
>
> First you said the following:
> 101.107.192.1<--Is this your
>> router?
>
> Yes, this is a router. Router is handling DHCP.
> Evidently, it too is handling DNS as well as all
> workstations are set to obtain both automatically.
> I have tried disabling DNS completely on this server and
> it does not change anything.

You are going to have to either manually enter your DCs address for DNS on
all clients or disable DHCP on the router and configure DHCP on the server
with option 003, 005 and 015.
You cannot disable DNS on the server, all clients must use the server for
DNS.

> What is puzzling is this has all worked for almost 2 years
> and fell apart after an automatic update.

It didn't work right if the clients were using therouter for DNS, something
else changed.

> Here is current configuration:
>

> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>

> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER1
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
> local.sierradisplay.com
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
> local.sierradisplay.com
>
> sierradisplay.com
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>

> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R)
> 82540EM Based Network Connection
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-20-2A-
> E6
>
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

> Ok, Please consider the following:
>
> 1. Upon a reboot, the FIRST (and only the FIRST)
> workstation can log onto the network successfully
> (including logon script).
>
> 2. Subsequent logon by other workstations are all doomed.
> It goes through the motions but scripts do not execute and
> drives are not connected. If these users got to "My
> Computer" and click on any network drives the see a
> message stating.
>
> X:\ is not accessible.
> There are currently no logon servers available to service
> the logon request.
>
> If these users click on network places->entire network
> etc, to get to the server they will also receive a message
> stating the theree are currently no logon servers
> available to service the logon request.
>
> 3. If I run my little batch file that issues these
> commands:
>
> ipconfig /flushdns
> ipconfig /registerdns
> net stop netlogon
> net start netlogon
>
> Then everything works correctly. Everyone can logon and
> all scripts execute. All drives connect.
>

> 4. I found a knowledgebase article # 830063 that
> describes similar behavior when Routing and Remote Access
> is installed with DNS and a Hotfix has been installed. I'm
> not sure if hotfix is installed. Not shown in Add/remove
> Programs.
>
> If I Stop the Routing and RAS process (before running by
> batchfile) I get the same behavior.

With all due respect, you can beat aroung the bush all you want, but until
the clients are using the DC for DNS, it isn't going to work. Even if you
have to manually enter the DNS address.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
with OEBackup:
August 11, 2004 6:04:05 PM

Ok, I will disable DHCP on router and reconfigure server
to do both - to be honest, I'm not sure why the need for
the router to do dhcp anyway.

However, This has been working (or rather WAS working)
until a MS sercurity update was automatically installed
nothing else was changed until we started tinkering around
trying to fix it.

I appreciate your help.

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 9:28:34 PM

In news:42b501c47fdd$dd6ee9b0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Mel <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
> Ok, I will disable DHCP on router and reconfigure server
> to do both - to be honest, I'm not sure why the need for
> the router to do dhcp anyway.
>
> However, This has been working (or rather WAS working)
> until a MS sercurity update was automatically installed
> nothing else was changed until we started tinkering around
> trying to fix it.
>
> I appreciate your help.

Maybe something was changed and was coincidental with the hotfix? I have to
agree with Kevin that if you were using the router for the DNS address for
you clients (or DC for that matter), I cannot see that it 'has been working
all this time until a hotfix' because of AD and AD client's reliance on
using only it's own DNS for resource and service locations.

You said you have RAS installed on the DC/DNS server. May I ask what it's
purpose is?

--

!